1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Who is the 2nd best center in the league?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by HenryH, Jul 26, 2002.

1. BTM

BTM Member

Yao Ming's got to beat Chris Anstey first before he can even think about tackling the above list.

2. luminator

luminator Member

1. Duncan (he is more center than PF)
    2. Mourning (for now)

After that, there is a pretty close group of decent centers: Kandi, Mutombo, Vlade, Keon Clark, Ben Wallace and maybe Robinson.

3. themugg

themugg Member

4. IVFL

IVFL Member

Yeah and i rember once that ghorge murisan schooled shaq, I mean he scored 26 points on him and shaq fouled out with only 12, i guess shaq sucks cuz murisan isnt even in the league any more:rolleyes:

Yeah thats a good way to evaluate players, read a stat line from one game and make all your assumptions from there

Oh and I thnk Zo is the second best center in the nba, but if duncan played center he would be,

5. HenryH

HenryH Member

We have a good chance of Yao Ming being the 5th best center pretty quickly. :) Most of the posters have Duncan at 2nd(when he plays center), Vlade Divac(only 34yrs old) and Zo at 3rd and 4th. Yao Ming should be able to destroy Olowokandi(probably plateaued at his current numbers, may go down after his contract is maxed out), Todd MacCulloch, Brad Miller, and Calvin Booth.

6. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Uh... by the way... Vlade lies about his age. Don't ask me why, but he's not 34. He's like 37. You learn these things living in Sacramento. He's really on his last legs. And I know all of you are saying "then why is he so much better now?" Because he actually started working out. He's in shape, after being lazy for most of his career.

Anywho, I have to agree that Shaq has very little competition. He's dominating a newbie Olawakandi, an ancient Vlade, Mutombo, a washed-up Robinson, and a post-kidney-removal Zo?

Hakeem dominated in a league with Ewing, Robinson, Shaq, Mourning, Vlade, Sabonis, Malone, and Abdul-Jabbar. I'd like to see Shaq going against those guys.

Likewise, Chamberlain dominated Russell, Embry, Kerr, Bellamy, Cowens, Alcindor, Reed, Stokes, Unseld, Lanier, and Thurmond.

So go on, Shaq, keep dishing it out to T-Mac 2 (Todd MacCullah) and see if I'm impressed. Hakeem schooled you back in the day :cool:.

#26 Drexlerfan22, Jul 29, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2002
  7. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

WTF is the matter with you people!!!! Hakeem the Dream is still the second best center in the league! :mad:

Okay maybe not. :( If Duncan doesn't count then I guess Zo would be the second best.

Overall its still a damn pathetic group. I mean come on! Michael Olawakandi?!?!?!?! The man would not even make an NBA roster if it was the early or even mid-90s.

8. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Is it also true that Vlade smokes 2 packs of cigarettes a day and wears a nicotine patch during the games? :D Crazy Euros.

9. YUBBALL

YUBBALL New Member

Hi! I'm new here and foreign (crazy Euro), so please, sorry about my English.

No it's not true that Vlade smokes 2 pakes of cigarettes a day. He doesn't even smoke any more. But he did in the past, just a little bit ;).

O yeah, and the 2. best center in the league is Vlade.

10. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The legend is that Jerry West asked Vlade to make sure he always had a cigarette hanging from his mouth during interviews so he'd drop to the Lakers. Vlade was a chain-smoking fiend for a few months, and the Lakers landed him. I don't know what he told Charlotte when he traded him (and EJ) for Kobe.

11. tozai

tozai Member

1.shaq
    2.Vlade
    3.olowokandi
    4.B. Miller

In the future
    Ming & Curry

12. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

Not counting Duncan (who has tons more skill than Shaq but has a stiff named Robinson as his sidekick instead of Kobe), this year's top enters would be:
    1. Shaq
    2. Zo (assuming he's healthy)- the man's tenacious on both ends. Good for 20/10/2-3 blocks
    3. Vlade - yea, he deserves an Oscar, but his defense is underrated, he's got a surprisingly good offensive game, and he's the best passing center in the game.
    4. Dikembe - getting old, but still dramatically changes the complexion of the game on the defensive side. Only C with a prayer at defending Shaq
    5. Kandi - has the size; still young and raw, but 11/8 is not that impressive yet
    6. Ming - not for long