1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Yao in place of Chuck make us better defensively?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Jan 28, 2010.

?

Yao replaces Chuck. Same minutes. Better Defensively?

1. On the whole, better.

338 vote(s)
    87.3%
  2. On the whole, worse.

20 vote(s)
    5.2%
  3. On the whole, about the same.

29 vote(s)
    7.5%
  1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't think the poll was badly worded, or bad because it's one-sided. Given the grief Yao gets for defense, and all the praise Hayes gets for defense, I think the question of overall impact on the team's defense gets to the heart of it and I think it reveals a lot that there is a concensus that Yao is more valuable in that, despite the criticisms. Apparently, there has been a lot about Yao that has gone underappreciated.

1 person likes this.
  2. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

Three points I haven't seen mentioned....

Hayes is much more capable of D-ing forwards, and Battier and Ariza can handle some Bigs for a short stint. In other words, you can switch with Hayes on the floor without creating a huge mismatch. Not so with Yao.

The Rockets entire defensive strategy changes with Yao on the court. The other defenders can play tighter and take more risks without as much concern for giving up a layup. Ariza can attempt steals more often.

Last, Yao's offense has an impact on the overall defense. This year, Battier and Ariza must produce more on offense to make up for the lost points. Thus, they cannot put as much energy to the defensive effort as they could last year (Ariza having Kobe & Pau to produce offensively).

As a fourth bonus point, perhaps Hayes lack of offense has an effect on defensive effort indirectly. BW, often states that Battier has to produce offensively to make the superstar he's guarding use energy on the defensive end...thus taking a way from his offensive energy. The fact that oppossing teams can leave Hayes relatively unguarded allows them to defend with less energy, and put more effort into offense.

Oh, and not to mention the pace of the game you play with Yao vs Hayes. But that's probably enough.

1 person likes this.
  3. bloop

bloop Member

does a bear **** in the woods?

4. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

C'mon. Yao gets max money and Chuck gets peanuts.

Having Yao instead of Chuck improves this team immensely both on defense and offense.

5. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

nothing against my man chuck, but i think Yao completes this defense with his size and ability to just change shots even if he doesn't block them

6. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

How about this for a poll that wouldn't be so lopsided? Who is the better post defender: David Anderson or Aaron Brooks?

7. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Oh man absolutely, that's not even question to ask, the guy 1 foot taller than chuck, even though if he isn't good defensive player, still the guy 7'6 and can block anything around the basket, I can't wait for him to get back, unfortunately not this season.... :( :(

8. clos4life

clos4life Member

What part of our horrible defense have people not noticed this year compared to previous years? Yao has been the cornerstone foundation of our defense, he simply makes everyone better around him. Chuck is great defensively but other than charges and the pick and roll Yao is a better paint protector.

9. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Before drafting Yao = **** Defense
    After drafting Yao = Gradual improvement, top 3 in the league
    Lose Yao to injury = **** Defense

How is this even a question?

10. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

I love Chuck all the way back to the KY days, but Yao is Yao.
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f9EiQIUYXeo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f9EiQIUYXeo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

11. PeppermintCandy

As others have pointed out, Yao alters a ton of shots and makes it more difficult for opposing team to drive to the basket. Instead of having to stop penetration all by themselves (pause), perimeter defenders just need to funnel their player to certain areas in the paint where Yao will be waiting.

And Battier has said how much easier it is to defend knowing that the big guy is back there to erase his mistakes if he gets beat. There's less pressure to be perfect, and so easier to play naturally and with better instinct.

12. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

Hayes and Yao have their weaknesses and they have their strengths. However, it's incredibly obvious that Yao has more strengths than what Hayes brings.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This thread has to be a joke, Yao plays both ends and effects tons of shots in the game.

Hayes is a great post defender, but his size is a limiting factor.

Give me a 7'6" guy at center over one that is 1 foot shorter and is not really a threat on offense.

DD

14. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

Our GM Mr. Morey has said so many times, that no one can fill the huge hole left by not having Yao on the defensive end of the floor. You can also ask Shane about that as well. I'd say Shane's decline on defense has a lot to do with not having Yao cover his back.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Thread title: "Does Yao in place of Chuck make us better defensively?"

16. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

I love Chuck but you can't compare a 6'6" center to a 7'6" center. Somebody please look up the PPG allowed stats and see how much point we give up this year compared to last year.

Geez, 86% thought we are better off defensively with Chuck Hayes in place of Yao??? Yao's defense is significantly underrated even by his fans.

17. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Oops I misread the poll question. My bad.

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Not that anyone posting in this thread is in need of further evidence in favor of Yao, but here goes anyway:

08/09 season:

Brooks-Artest-Battier-Scola-Yao
    lineup had an offensive efficiency of 110 and defensive efficiency of 101 in 555 minutes. source

so far this season:

Brooks-Ariza-Battier-Scola-Hayes
    lineup has an offensive efficiency of 103 and defensive efficiency of 106 in 656 minutes. source.

Both are playing mostly against opposing team's starters. Obviously, the two big changes there are Ariza in for Artest, and Hayes in for Yao.

What do you guys think the numbers would look like with Ariza and with Yao?

19. sw847

sw847 Member

I voted yes purely because with yao in there, dribble penetration tends to be more difficult for the opposing team.

Overall, I would have to say it all depends on what type of team we are playing against. Teams with triditional centers (big, back to the basket), Yao would really improve our defence. But teams like suns and jazz who have non-triditional centers, we are probably better off defensively with hayes.

20. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Chuck makes this team better defensively. Because he can guard most big men and he is the captain of our defensive system. Yao clogs up the lane which help too but there are times when Yao just cannot guard players like Boozer, or Al Jefferson.