1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

[NYTimes]In Knicks-Rockets, Landrys’ Sibling Rivalry Resumes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Invisible Fan, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

http://offthedribble.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/09/in-knicks-rockets-landrys-sibling-rivalry-resumes/

By JONATHAN ABRAMS

HOUSTON — Some things, no matter how much time has lapsed and milestones crossed, will never change for the N.B.A. brothers Marcus and Carl Landry. Marcus, in his rookie season with the Knicks, is two years younger than Carl, of the Houston Rockets. Marcus will always want to challenge Carl as a barometer of his own maturation. And Marcus will eternally view Carl as a role model, leaning on him in more ways than one.

On the eve of their first professional game against each other, the brothers went out to dinner, and Marcus asked to borrow money from Carl.

Carl laughed when he relayed the story. He also paid for Marcus to try out with the Knicks last summer, when Marcus went undrafted and the Knicks were willing to let him try out, provided he pay his own fees.

“He wasn’t unless he was getting money under the table in college,” Carl joked, saying he provided a hotel, rental car and flight. “So, I paid.”

If it was a one-way ticket, a reporter joked, Carl would have shown confidence in his younger brother.

“It wasn’t first class, I’ll tell you that,” Carl said.

And that was how Marcus and Carl became arguably the most unlikely brother combination in N.B.A. history, joining Stephen and Joey Graham and Brook and Robin Lopez. Marcus impressed the Knicks’ coaching staff in training camp, outlasting others with N.B.A. pedigrees like Sun Yue and Gabe Pruitt.

Marcus Landry is slowly squeezing himself into Knicks Coach Mike D’Antoni’s rotation and is playing more in the absence of Al Harrington, who missed Saturday’s game with a strained left calf. On the season, Marcus Landry is averaging 2.5 points.

“Marcus came in and he worked his way on the team by continuing to work hard, by staying in the gym early, staying in the gym late, soaking up as much as he could from the players and the coaching staff,” Carl Landry said.

Meanwhile, Carl, in his third season, is one of the league’s most efficient sixth men, averaging 16.9 points and 5.8 rebounds. He was also a fringe N.B.A. prospect. Houston drafted him in the second round with the 31st overall pick in the 2007 draft.

Carl said the brothers had inherited their work ethic from their parents — Anita and Mark Landry — who each worked two jobs.

“Sometimes when you get in the N.B.A., you get comfortable,” Carl said. “There are always guys that are out there who are hungry. I was one of them and so is Marcus, and he continued to work. He didn’t stop and I’m very proud of him.”

They overlapped in college and played against each other — Marcus for Wisconsin and Carl for Purdue.

“I know all his moves, every last one of them,” Marcus said earlier in the week. “I’ll call them out. I’ll call the move out before he does it.”

Some things between brothers never change. Which is why, at times, Carl said he offers Marcus subtle reminders.

“He just thinks he’s bigger, stronger and badder than me,” Carl said. “Sometimes, I have to put him in check.”

2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Carl didn't play that well today. I bet his brother taught the Knicks how to defend him.

3. CountyClerk

CountyClerk Member

maybe not for the entire game but he was def efficient when it count the most. scored 10 of his points in the final Q.

Carl Landry aka Mandry aka Mr. 4th Quarter aka 6th man of the year.

4. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

“He just thinks he’s bigger, stronger and badder than me,” Carl said. “Sometimes, I have to put him in check.”

Lol thats right put that lil man in check Carl! :cool:

5. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

a great story. this story shoulda made the rockets halftime report of something.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

7. Rocketman2000

Rocketman2000 Contributing Member

I guess 400K in NY is like earning 40K :)

8. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Undoubtedly the first time the words Sun Yue and NBA pedigree were used in combination.

9. CountyClerk

CountyClerk Member

Hahah i've never seen that kid play but still funny

10. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

He had to borrow money to try out, before he got the contract. He also has a kid.

11. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

It would probably be smart for him to save as much of that $400K as possible.

12. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    I think that's the point lol