1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sean Williams is on the waiver wire

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ShiniKashi, Jan 9, 2010.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm interested in that as well. He is smart and works hard on defense. A good backup 5 who can occasionally give some points. Cook for Boone doesn't work on the trading machine. Andersen for Boone does,but I don't want to do that.

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Sean Williams has wasted his talent. He had 8 blocks in a game in his rookie year. No to him.

3. jogo

jogo Member

If we had more space with our bigs then I'd definitely be interested as a project. As it is now, it's hard to find space for him to play. With Yao back next year, who gets the bulk of the backup minutes? Anderson? Hayes? Dorsey (prob not)? Williams?

Sean is young, athletic, and can block shots. Sign him to a 10 day just to see what he's got. Low risk, small potential for a good backup C.

4. jogo

jogo Member

*Andersen

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I would think it might be worth taking a look, putting a player who has been cut and is facing a life changing situation like this, might motivate him to fit in, and having him around a strong group of professional players like Scola, Battier, Hayes, etc..etc..etc....just might help him mature.

At the end of the day, whatever the Rox decide is good with me....

And, I think the everyone doing "DD" thing is cute...

I just take it as a tribute...

;)

DD

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

He's one of those outstanding athletes like Gerald Green and James "Flight" White -- and those guys really helped the team.

Oh, wait -- they didn't.

7. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

To be fair, his coach for his entire career was Lawrence Frank...

Even Hakeem Olajuwon would have struggled to develop under that horrendous coach.

8. jogo

jogo Member

The difference between Williams and Gerald Green or James White is that Williams is 6' 10" and they are just big guards. Williams has shown he can block shots. Yeah, he's very raw but it's worth a shot. We tried out GG and White and it didn't hurt us at all so why not try Williams?

9. Chinahype

Chinahype Member

Shot blockers are overrated imo, as long as you get to the position you need to you can still have defensive presence.

10. wyo-ming

wyo-ming Rookie

hey even slowmile would help this team in his prime sign him it is a home coming of sorts not gonna cost ya much and if he dont act right cut em we signed mike harris &did nothing w/ him hell have you ever been 2 jersy i would tend2 act out he has talent what have you got to lose but that gaping hole above chuck hayes

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Nah, Hakeem would have made Frank look like a genius.

DD

12. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

Sign him to the Viper D league and just wait and see if he matures.

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I'm with you you on that. I'm not beating his drum because he's a 6'10 athletic shot blocker, but in a season like this, low risk,high reward, wafer type of move.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

dunno . . brian cook seems TRADABLE

Rocket River

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Its also funny how people are saying do not want and everything else, but look at a guy like bird man anderson. He was sitting out there looking for a revival before last season. I know i brought the guy up and all we heard was we don't need him, all he does is block shots and rebound. All this other crap that people believe or tend to. He signs with denver for minimum money and goes on and puts up a monster year off the bench and resigns for a reasonable contract. Off the bench, it would be nice to have a defensive game changer like williams even next year when or if yao comes back. Adelman has dealt with his type before, think about keon clark. I could see good combo's with williams and landry/anderson. That would give the rockets a quicker team and also having a guy that can protect the rim is also a bonus. The rockets aren't winning a ring and no one is the long term solution at center right now with yao out. Get the guy cheap, have him around the verts, and go forward.

16. DunkingDavid

DunkingDavid Member

I would love to get him but it would almost be like the Gerald green signing where he dosent get playing time and is cut at the end of the year.

DD

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

you know who else is pretty smart? Gilbert Arenas. Unfortunately test scores don't always translate to common sense. Williams isn't dumb, but the guy has other issues that keep him from learning the game....most guys who go to john lucas have bigger issues than basketball...drug problems, anger problems, depression, etc...something is going on with him.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

sorry,

DD.

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

chris andersen never had issues playing ball though. His problems were all off the court. He had developed a solid game before he ran into problems. All he had to do was clean up. Williams has to clean up AND still develop his game. Im not saying it's impossible, but its not the same situation and will take longer than this season.

20. wyo-ming

wyo-ming Rookie

WHAT GIVES ME HOPE IF WE SIGN HIM ADELMAN IS SORT OF A PLAYERS COACH HE CAN HANDLE SEAN IF ANYBODY CAN AFTER ALL HE TOOK CARE BAD BOY BONZI & THUG RON NOBODY ELSE HAS DONE THAT 4 ANY LARGE AMOUNT OF TIME& THE LAKERS WILL SOON FIND THAT OUT ALSO VON CAME 2 HOUSTON W/ A BAD REP AND WENT ON 2 PROVE HIS CRITICS RIGHT & WRONG HE HELPED THE ROCKETS & PROVED HE NOT VERY SMART BY YELLING AT THE COACH IN THE PLAYOFFS MAY BE IT IS A MISTAKE BUT IT WILL ONLY COST LES TIP $$$$$ 2 SIGN HIM 4 THE REST OF THE YEAR OR LESS IF HE REMAINS A BONEHEAD N J HAS BEEN IN A FUNK SINCE THEY SAID WERE MOVING 2YRS AGO & NOBODY WANTS 2 PLAY THERE NOBODY THE FANS DON'T CARE NOR DO THE OWNERS HELL THEY WON'T EVEN SIGN A REAL COACH AND THEY ACT LIKE THIS MOVE THING JUST HAPPENED THEY HAVE BEEN PLANNING THIS 4 A WHILE THATS WHY THEY GOT FRANKS 4A COACH & HE WOULD STILL BE THERE IF THEY COULD HAVE WON 1 FRIGGIN GAME REMEMBER THAT HI $$$$ F.A.THEY SIGNED LAST YR RAFER ALSTON & EVEN SKIP 2 MY LOSER CAN'T TAKE IT IN N J !!!!!THE LEAGUE SHOULD FINE OWNERS LIKE N.J.& LAC 4 NOT TRYING IF THEY WANT 2 REMAIN THE BEST LES &MOREY HAVE PROVEN IT CAN BE DONE RIGHT &MAKE $$$ 2