1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Yao Ming's newest interview

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by windandsea, Jul 22, 2002.

1. off_welfare

off_welfare Member

Well if any of theses translations are correct its good to hear that he is confident!Thats the attitude!:D

2. almostReady

almostReady Member

I read the article and I agree with other posters that many of Yao Ming's comments in this interview were made up by the reporter. Chinese reporters, when writing about overseas events, make up things or exaggerate a great deal, in order to create interesting stuff. One reason they can do that is because majority of readers in China have a limited knowledge and information about other countries, due to the information control of the government and also the language barrier, even in the Internet era. It' true the other way around. How many of you know a lot about what's going on in China, even you have Internet? :)

I am positive that many of Yao Ming's comments in this interview were made up by the reporter.

#22 almostReady, Jul 22, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2002
  3. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

harumph... post edited due to possible mis-information. :(

4. almostReady

almostReady Member

Ming has been a huge star in China for 5 years. He knows how to deal with press, how to play with them and how little they can be trusted.
    Maybe in his mind he wants to start and play more than 30 mins. But he will never say things like " ...... at the beginning of the season, I will get a steady 30 mins or more playing time. ......" , or " ... on Carter, wait to see I stuff him again ...". Can you imagine a person who wrote those adorable diaries would say something like this?
    WindandSea, I believer what you said. Maybe the phone conversation did take place. But I think the reporter made up lots of things this time out of desperateness, because of the very reason that Ming is intentionally staying away from press to avoid trouble like this kind of stuff.

#24 almostReady, Jul 22, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2002
  5. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Ouch. I think that translation was harder to read than the Chinese version.

6. Stickfigure

Stickfigure Member

If you look at it closely enough, it's kind of like surrealist poetry. Or maybe like watching a Samuel Beckett play while drunk and falling asleep at 4 am. :confused:

I do think "Big Stature Boy" should be the king of all Yao Ming nicknames, though, bar none! :D

7. almostReady

almostReady Member

8. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

I wonder if Ming is been reading a lot of the Zen Master ( LA Coach) article in China. I think he is trying to get to peoples head. Psyche me Ming! Cause we'll see what you got!!:eek:

9. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Sports Weekly = Chinese sports version of National Enquire.
    Actually almost all "professional" sports newspapers/websites are.

I can believe the "reporter" made some of the things up. But I won't be surprised if MIng did say that: What can you say if someone want to put something you say in print EVERY WEEK? "I will play hard, play hard, play hard...."? This will get old quickly.

On the final note, this isn't about communism, it's about distorted captalist news comprtition.

10. sdsurfer

sdsurfer Member

If the Media out there has been twisting facts and stories around to make Ming such a great no fear basketball player, can you image the god like reputation he must have in China to those that don't know any better????

My lord, his godly reputation only would come second to my reputation

:)

11. windandsea

windandsea Contributing Member

12. lpbman

lpbman Member

hehe I don't know why I always click on your links W&S

I still can't read Chinese

13. wangfan

wangfan Member

Some interpret software maybe help you.

14. vtkp99