1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOP THE TURNOVERS

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by s3ts, Jan 2, 2010.

1. s3ts

s3ts Member

The last three losses for the Rockets:

HOU @ NO, 1/2:
    19 Turnovers, NO with 7

HOU @ CLE, 12/27:
    16 Turnovers, CLE with 11

HOU @ DEN, 12/16:
    21 Turnovers, DEN with 13

There's a few things we can't immediately fix, such as the lack of size, and I know that. But I'm sure we can do something to prevent all these turnovers.

2. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

Tell Ariza to stop been a play maker.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

No, no, i think we should continue the turnovers!!! Who's with me!? :grin:

4. killakim

killakim Member

Word. He just doesn't make good passes. They are way too telegraphed and slow.

5. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

1) Trevor's fault
    2) Careless fastbreak
    3) Refs...

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

7 turnovers

Even with the constant b****ing and moaning about him, it's pretty hard to defend him with that number.

7. PeppermintCandy

Let's see..

HOU @ CLE, 12/27:
    Ariza had 2 turnovers out of team's 16. (Every starter had 2)

HOU @ DEN, 12/16:
    Ariza had 3 turnovers out of team's 21. (Landry had team-high with 4)

HOU @ ORL 12/23:
    Ariza had 1 turnover out of team's 10.

Still think it's Trevor's fault?

8. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Ok come on...Trev had 7 turnovers tonight but his turnovers haven't been a major issue...shot selection, playmaking and shooting % i'd give you but turnovers not so much.

9. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Why is Trevor being flamed when Brooks averages .4 more turnovers than he does? Not that Aaron deserves to be but you guys are being totally unfair with Ariza.

10. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

So the fact that AB is a PG that handles (or should anyways) the ball more doesn't factor into that equation?

11. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

This.

The fact that Ariza is so close to Brooks' average seems like Ariza has the ball in his hands wayy too much.

12. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Caron Butler averages exactly the same amount of turnovers as Ariza, does that make him an awful player?

He averaged 3.1 turnovers last year by the way, how come I haven't seen dozens of threads on his awful ball handling in the Dish yet?

13. AggieRocketsFan

Like the others said, you do not have a good point here. You try to make it sound like everythings okay.

In other words, you should have said that Ariza averages .4 less turnovers than our starting point guard, who just so happens to handle the ball more than anybody on the team.

And it doesn't help that many people believe that Brooks causes, or contributes to, plenty of turnovers that should be avoided.

14. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Turnovers have a lot to do with the other team playing good defense on you. When we force a lot of turnovers on defense you don't just chalk it up to the other team sucking do you?

15. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Can't speak for others, but I don't keep up enough with Butler to care what his turnover average is.

However, I think you'd find most people excusing Butler's turnover average because he is the more accomplished player between the 2.

16. s3ts

s3ts Member

Turnovers happen when there are really badly executed/designed offensive plays. I think that rules Trevor out because his basketball IQ is very high.

When I watch the games, I tend to feel like Landry is a turnover magnet, so mentioning that he had 4 turnovers in that one loss kinda bleeds through.

I'd say Scola and Landry are both turnover magnets. Their movement in the offense is slow and they tend to wait for the ball rather than cut towards the basket.

AB's play-runs tend to be highly risky. His run-ins on the paint, hesitating, and then passing it out is like a dice-roll every time. Nothing that can be done about that 'cept more playing time for AB. I just hope that he notices how important low # of turnovers is.

17. BruceHR

BruceHR Member

The turnovers are due to our carelessness, not by one person. Sorry to see so many TOs, thats horrible

18. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

it's not just about TO's his shot selection for those games were atrocious, shooting something like 20%. 1-10 in one of them. though i do give him credit for driving to the rim more even though he still isn't even very good at that.

19. PeppermintCandy

No offense but this thread is about turnovers in the recent losses, not about Ariza's overall game.

I'm all for a good, informed assessment of Ariza's play, both good and bad. But there's so much negativity about Ariza on this board these days that it's become hard to have such a discussion.

Some posters see the high turnover numbers and immediately think Ariza's to blame. I'm just saying look at the numbers if you want to make such an assertion. It's easy to do.

20. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

Sorry. I just stopped reading when you said Ariza had a very high basketball IQ.