1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Good News on Trade Front

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Jan 2, 2010.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

so Yao won't be 7'6, with a sweet jumper anymore? I'm pretty sure the surgery wasn't a height reduction surgery. "slim" is a huge exaggeration. Yao's game has never been about speed or jumping ability.

And how many centers have had the surgery Z has? I think Z's comeback was remarkable mostly because he had some many injuries and was suppose to be done, not so much because he had that specific surgery. It was his whole story.

And the "play yao limited mins to save him for the playoffs" theory isn't a solution. All that would do is delay the inevitable. Instead of the bone cracking at the end of the season or early in the playoffs it would crack in the nba finals or training camp. Limit him during the regular season and it probably costs us enough games to have a worse seed, have to face a tougher road in the playoffs and therefore possibly have to play more games, which may defeat the purpose of limiting him in the regular season.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

OP, when was the word out there "buyout"? I dont remember that being out there much, sure it was a possibility, an option, but Houston made it clear they're not buying out Tmac this early, if at all. I think the word has been "trade" for a while now.

3. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

If Rick wants to end Yao's career next season yeah he'll play 30+ mins. Yao needs to be closer to 20+ mins a game the key is keep him healthy until the playoffs start the team can make the playoffs without him playing big minutes.

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

McGrady will not break the bank. However, getting a 3 yr $24mm deal (starts @$7) may well happen; getting a full MLE (even for 3 yrs) may be MORE difficult.

I absolutely positively do not believe that McGrady (and Tellum) will accept a buy-out the day after the trade deadline. This is also why Tellum was granted permission, as I understand it, for him to try and 'broker' a deal for his client.

5. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

DAM YOU KAPONO for messing up my perfect trade scenrio... :mad: lolol

You could stick Willie Green into the equation for Kapono but he has another yr...oh well back to the drawing board. :(

6. rockets_fanatic

If you took the use of the word slim to have something to do with his height there is no use having this conversation anymore.

His body weight and the amount of running and jumping he does on a hard surface is what has contributed to his issues. So having a 7 footer who can block and rebound, that can share to workload with Yao for the regular season is a good idea.

Ask yourself this question genius. Why is it that when Yao gets hurt it is the second half of the season?

If you also think that any surgery is a guarantee someone will be healthy you are seriously screwed in the head.

7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Huh? The first contract you mentioned (which "may well happen") would be LARGER than a 3-year MLE deal (which "may be MORE difficult"). I don't get it. Unless you mean that a team over the salary cap won't spend money on T-Mac. But then, why would a team with cap room "waste" it on McGrady?

Are you kidding me??? They most DEFINITELY would want a buyout after the trade deadline. Any time from February 18 to February 26, to be precise. That way, he can still get picked up by a contender. It's just a matter of agreeing on an amount, from McGrady's viewpoint. If he's still a Rocket on March 1, then I agree.

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

No offense taken; none even thought about.

I agree that this will not be Gasol the Sequel. I am relaxed that this will not become Pippen the Sequel. So, where in between will a TMac deal fall? If it were Miller/Deng, I'd be happy. If it were Iggy/Sammy D/Speights/2nd rounder for McG/Cook, I'd be happy (and I do believe DM the GM will either get a 3rd involved for Dalenbaert or move him in a draft-day deal).

The very idea that conventional wisdom has moved from 'buy-out' to 'fair-trade' is cause for optimism at the new year. No?

9. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure Morey will not let TMac get bought out and go to a contender that that the Rockets might even face in the playoffs.

10. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

You can't really say that at this point. No one's really been shut up till something does happen. Let's just wait to see how it plays out. No need to call someone Dorothy either.

11. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

To be fair, I don't think that buyout was ever an option. No source that I'm aware of ever mentioned it.

12. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

For one, I willl believe it when it happens, not before! :p

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

In fact, the team McGrady gets traded to will most likely buy him out.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

And just how do you expect the team to prepare to play with Yao 30 mins a game in the playoffs if they barely play him 20 mins during the season. Its not realistic at all to expect Yao to play around 20 mins. If that's the case then expect him to be on the block next season or not re-signed next year. You cant win or even prepare for a championship nowadays in that way and houston would be better off just getting rid of him. You're asking for trouble if it becomes about minutes rather than what's actually going on during the game.

15. wyo-ming

wyo-ming Rookie

i realize 23mil is a lot 2 swallow but the way dork-e lvis does w/ finding talent in the draft i would rather get young talent & draft pics anybody think that arenas or butler or another player (complete w/large ego)&need 4-a lot of touches could hurt this team ithink we need guys w talent that is under used on another team or lacking a big ego may be YI & SEAN WILLIAMS(I KNOW HEAD CASE BUT HES BEEN GOOD 4A WHILE &HAS AN EXPIRING CONTRACT) a draft pick or two would also help. my concern is you get a guy like dalenbert & he lay down for what ever reason your back 2 square 1 w moreys skills i have to figure young talent&draft pics are the best way 2 go HOUSTON ROCKETS FLYING IN THE FACE OF CONVENTIONAL LOGIC SINCE 1981

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I refered to the possible outcome of the surgery in another post. I never said it was guaranteed that surgery would "heal" him, i think that's obvious after the tmac drama.

And what made Yao the player he was? Wasn't his jumer/shooting ability a HUGE part of that. Wasn't his height also a HUGE part? We're not talking about an above the rim player here. A "slim" chance to me is under 25%, are you telling me that there's only a 25% chance Yao will be close to what he onces was? Why in the hell would Morey go forth with Yao if that's the case? Might as well be the tmac situation all over again.

And i also addressed Yao being hurt in the second half in my previous post.

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

OK, let me try to be clear. DM the GM uses the MLE judiciously to sign 2nd rounders and inexpensive 'finds'. Would he have signed Ariza with the MLE if Yao's injury exception was not there? That's not rhetorical, it is an honest question. Other teams are being much more judicious with their MLE, as well. So, if a team could sign McGrady withOUT touching their MLE he would have greater value. At least as I seeit; believe it to be true.

As the the buy-out 'they' do not want to get to February 18. It is in their very best interest to have a trade effected protecting those very Bird rights. McGrady does not have to be in position to get a max deal, even a deal averaging 10mil, he just needs to be in position to get a TMac deal, worth more than the MLE - or be tradable for a the team who gets him before 2/18 after the season.

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

It was in print with NY papers, other internet references, and on air (at least) by Kevin McHale. McHale may have set the substandard for NBA GMs but he was a (long-term) NBA GM.

19. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

A Butler/Reed/Cook BAD CONTRACT does not compare to a Brand/Dalambert BAD CONTRACT.

20. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

What? Yahoo Babelfish is not your friend.