1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WojYahooNBA] T-Mac for Butler?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Matt Maloney, Jan 1, 2010.

Tags:
  1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

you're talking about their athleticism. That's true for just about any position in the league, but the overall effectiveness of a player isn't based purely on athletic ability. The good players find ways to make up for it with experience and intelligence. Also, i dont believe athletic ability declines that much at that point, it declines, but i dont think it's that signficant until their mid 30s. Carter is still going to be dunking on guys for another 2-3 years. So is Kobe. Maybe not as much, but the'll do it when needed, and when they cant they find ways to be effective. Butler was never an aerial show, he's talented enough to use his ball handling and shooting to remain effective for a few more years.

2. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I must be thinking of someone else. Wasn't there some big contract traded in the past few years for basically nothing? Camby?

Dalembert is still a decent defender/shotblocker and at his size I think he would have a huge impact on our team defense. The perimeter players and more specifically Battier would instantly become more effective. The trade could help us get to the conference finals this year. For most, I'm sure that idea seems a little far fetched but I could see Morey trying to sell Les on the team implications of this type of deal. You can save a lot of money and be slightly better or you can bite the bullet for a single season with a more legitimate chance at winning it all.

I think Iguodala is the better player and is the only one of the the 3 wings thrown around as possibilities that could realistically be the best perimeter player on a championship team. Butler and Martin would be upgrades but I don't think they could be the final pieces, Morey would need to make some more major moves.

I've said more than enough about Martin. Butler, imo is just having a down year with all the crap going on in Washington. He's a much better defender and rebounder. Neither is a playmaker but he seems more likely to fit in with the Rockets. He plays with more energy and will be right in the mix, fighting for loose balls, getting deflections, doing the things that aren't tracked statistically. I would say they're comparable players in terms of overall production, neither should be a longterm solution as your best wing. I think Haywood would tip the scale of that deal. The impact of a good defensive 7footer can't be denied. With the current rotation of bigs we've been slightly above average defensively (ranked 16th in points per 100 pos.). If we could eliminate Andersen from the rotation and add Haywood we would be much better.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

and to add to my previous post about arenas...who do the wiz want to get rid of the most?It's not butler or jamison. It's arenas. Most on here are assuming this rumor means butler is the centerpiece of the trade and the "bad contracts" we'd get stuck with are guys like Blatche and haywood. But no one on the wiz has really bad contracts except for....ARENAS. All the young guys have cheap or short contracts. Butler isn't overpaid and only has a year left anyway. Jamison isnt overpaid either and only has 2 yrs left.

So arenas is the contract they want to move and the centerpiece of the trade, butler is the throw in to make them bite. Maybe they throw in a young'n if we give them tmac + another solid player, but i think we're kidding ourselves if we expect butler + small and young contracts.

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Sensical deal. But where do you play CB? It's already a duplicated position? Trade bait?

5. ralphacy

ralphacy Member

dammit you beat me to the........ gun lol

oh shooting guards, washington has too many of them lol

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not saying he wouldn't be an upgrade, but KMart and Iggy are younger and are already better players than Butler is....

DD

7. roxfan4life00

roxfan4life00 Member

I think Caron Butler is way overrated. If he was any good, he would have the Wizards with a better record. Butler and young AI in Philly are nice players but they could not do anything for their teams, which are two of the worst teams in the league. That says something.

8. Num1RoXfaN

Num1RoXfaN Member

As eveyday passes it seems as if we can get anyone for MAC... We got the league on the palm of our hands :grin:

9. 11Rox4Life3

11Rox4Life3 Member

I like Butler, and if we could somehow nab Haywood, whom I REALLY like, we'd come away as bandits. Wizards are in a huge mess right now too, so depending on what happens with Arenas situation (if they void his contract), then they might have a firesale and just start it over again to build up a different reputation, and it's not like they were good even with those guys anyway.

10. Charles Jones

Charles Jones Member

[​IMG]

this would be the only trade i would do for Caron, Mike Miller was playing great until he got hurt but is back and he could provide shooting when Chase hits the Rookie wall, and Fabricio Oberto would provide us size and reunite with fellow coutryman Scola and 2 Argentines are better than 1 :grin:

new lineup:
    Brooks/Lowry
    Ariza/C-Bud
    Battier/Miller
    Scola/Landry
    Hayes/Oberto/Anderson

what do yall think??

11. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Last time I checked, Butler is buried amidst a plethora of me first players in Washington.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That is not bad at all....wave Harris I assume, or you include Dorsey as a throw in to make it equal and give flexibility for a Von Wafer signing later.
    DD

13. Charles Jones

Charles Jones Member

fixed

14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

What it says is that there are more issues with those respective teams than just Butler and Igoudala

15. HipHopSince1981

Getting Caron and Mike Miller would be great..i like it, but you forgot to place Caron in the lineup :grin:

16. HipHopSince1981

haha i stand corrected.

17. Charles Jones

Charles Jones Member

i like that even better give up Dorsey for Von Wafer :grin:

18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i think iggy is, but kmart? he may be a better shooter/scorer, but better overall player?

without arenas hogging the ball this guy averaged 20-6-5 with 2 steals. i dont think martin can top those numbers. they're both injury prone, martin may be the better fit on offense, but i believe butler is the better overall player... i think i'd prefer to trade for butler, the edge being his contract.

although, ill just keep my fingers crossed for iggy.

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

I have a trade the Bulle-- er, Wizards -- will bite on:

Butler for T-Mac, a dozen Glock 33's and a case of ammo.

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

and that's all from arenas' locker.