1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Big MAK, Dec 30, 2009.

Tags:
?

Which

1. 3D IMAX

89 vote(s)
    88.1%
  2. 2D

12 vote(s)
    11.9%
  1. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

Okay let me break it down for you, Here are your options:

1. REAL IMAX- This IMAX consists of the huge IMAX screens. They are only playing Avatar 3D in some these so keep your eyes peeled. The downside is the whole screen does not fill up, but you hardly notice it. Sound and picture is superb.

2. IMAX DIGITAL- These IMAX's have the sound and picture quality of the big IMAX's, but do not have the huge screen. The screen is pretty decent and the whole screen is filled when viewing Avatar 3D.

3. RealD 3D- These are the 3D's that most theaters are playing. The 3D is nice and the picture is pretty good, but IMAX still has better sound and picture. Nevertheless, still breathtaking to watch Avatar 3D in.

4. Avatar 2D- This is I guess, what not to do. To FULLY experience Avatar, seriously go see it in 3D!

So what are you waiting for :cool:

2. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

Also, here is an AWESOME link that shows all the IMAX's and IMAX DIGITALS in your area!:

http://lfexaminer.com/theaUSA.htm

The theaters that are 1570 Format are the Huge IMAX's. The ones that have D Format are Digital IMAX's.

3. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Nothing is shot in 3:4. IIRC it was shot in Imax which is close or might be 4:3. It's much more squarish than how movies are filmed.

For regular theaters, they cut parts off the top and bottom to make it more rectangular. If you look for the subtitles on the IMAX version, they are WAY high. That's near the bottom of the screen for regular theaters.

4. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Cool deal. Thanks for the clarification.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Imax 3D is the only way to truly experience this movie IMO.

6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

If you can't afford/get a ticket for IMAX 3d, try regular 3d. It's good, but not IMAX good. :grin:

7. Grimm920

Grimm920 Member

Went and saw it at gulfpointe AMC 30 on christmas... Aside from the packed theatre it was awesome

8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Where is best place to sit for IMAX showing of this movie? Middle or at the back? I see the movie soon and didn't want to get stuck with bad seats. How early does the line form also?

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

the one imax screen in austin has been sold out since the movie came out (i think what dec 18th???) but its staying there until around the middle of feb so i will wait at least another couple of weeks to go.

10. MadRox

MadRox Member

i read couple forums debating IMAX3D vs RealD 3D......
    and the bottom line is, you can't really tell the difference, so just go with the biggest screen! IMAX FTW

11. MadRox

MadRox Member

Yeah the day i went to MarqE Stadium23 here in Houston, all shows were already sold out for IMAX 3D....I ended up ordering tickets on Fandango.com 3 days in advance. And be there atleast an hour before the show to wait in line for a decent seat so I heard.

12. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I never planned to not watch it in 3D, but I remember being skeptical about how Cameron could have improved on current 3D technology, but then that opening scene on the space ship came up and it was the first time I felt that the quality was so good that it did look like Jake was floating right in front of me. When you get to Pandora, not quite as good since the backgrounds are mostly CG.

13. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

if it's a budgetary concern, maybe going to the movies isn't something for you to begin with

14. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Thanks for the info.

I didn't realize the only TRUE IMAX screens in Houston were the Marquee one and the Museum one. And there's only small Digital fake IMAX screens showing Avatar where I live.

So I'll wait and pay $15 to see it at Edwards when I go to Htown.

link to Digital IMAX screen info:
    http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/05/11/why-you-probably-shouldnt-waste-5-more-for-digital-imax/

15. TmacsRockets

TmacsRockets Rookie

3d no contest.

16. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

I saw it on the "fake" IMAX screen (cinemark XD) and it was great. I actually like the size better than IMAX. the ratio is similar to a flat screen tv.. IMAX is more box-like rather than widescreen. You wont be disappointed with Cinemark XD

17. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

I watched it in normal 3D, and I think I'd have enjoyed the 2D version better. Besides the 3D-specs, I found the "pop-out" images distracting. Maybe I'm just not used to 3D movies.

18. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Better purchase the IMAX tickets in the morning or the day before. The evening tickets are already sold out by 2 PM.

19. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

If you want to enjoy the movie I cannot suggest the normal screen 3D. I have seen it twice once 2D once 3D. The 3D is mostly used to enhance the image and some cool eye candy with arrows and stuff. Beyond the 10 minutes of " wow that was cool 3D" the image is better in 2D. More crisp with less distortion from glasses and trickery.

20. rage

rage Member

I wonder how many among the people who dished the 2D version had actually seen it?