1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We are ONE DAY AWAY from the NBA Draft and knowing what the Rockets will do with the #3 selection. We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft LIVE at 8:00pm CT!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Ming vs. Dream in Opener

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HoRockets, Jul 19, 2002.

1. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

The past and future of the Rockets could collide in the team's home opener Nov. 2. Rockets' No. 1 overall pick Yao Ming could tip off against the Raptors' counterpart at center, Hakeem Olajuwon, who left Houston before the 2001-02 season after 17 years as a Rocket. "That fact that Yao Ming will have a chance to make his regular-season home debut playing against the very player he grew up watching and emulating during his youth makes it a special event,'' chief operating officer George Postolos said. This season will be the last for the Rockets in Compaq Center, once known as The Summit. A $250 deposit per season ticket this season ensures ``priority placement'' in the new downtown arena being readied for 2003. The Rockets begin their 2002-03 campaign with trips to Indiana, on Oct. 30, and to Denver two days later. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=hou

This will probably be a sold out event. Ming will still play reduced minutes but when he is on the court, look for highlight reels to be on every sporting news station!

2. Old School

Old School Member

Probably?

os

3. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I'm gonna try to get my dad to get tickets to this game. Not great seats, but something good. Even my mom wants to go also. Just to show you how much basketball she watches, her favorite
    player is Mooch. She also makes me feel bad because she compares me to Dan L. :(

Well us two are going to try and bug my dad to get 3 seats to this game. Good thing he started looking yesterday. :p

4. off_welfare

off_welfare Member

Ming WILL win this battle! Hakeem is done!:D

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i called it, too. from about a month ago. if only i new how to search for my past posts...

but anyway, i expect ming to be amazed and dream to be more than hyped.

i would give the advantage to dream.

6. SCOOTER T.

SCOOTER T. Contributing Member

Hakeem can't jump anymore...Ming wins, + alot of other centers in the league. Retire!!!!

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Depends on the scant minutes Lenny lets Dream play...

8. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

yeah, it'd be funny if Ming and Hakeem dont' even get to be on the floor together because of Hakeem's tiny back-up role and Ming getting a late start practice-wise. :D

9. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

That'd be cool if they both come off the bench at the same time or tip off together. I'm not sure that either of them are starters.

10. Looogie

Looogie Member

According to reports, the Raptors are offering Hakeem in a sign and trade to get Marshall.

Imagine Hakeem in a Utah jersey ?

11. Rocketblast

Rocketblast Member

If that happens, then we will have to start a movement named Save Our Hakeem.

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I will stop being a Hakeem fan if he ends with the Jazz. It's probably not going to happen.Marshall is much better than Hakeem right now,and this would weaken the Jazz.
    Hey, it doesn't sound so bad after all.

13. Sane

Sane Member

We should pick up Hakeem. Then sign a solid veteran C who is in good shape.

Hakeem/Ming/veteran C >>> insurance: Griffin, MoT
    MoT/Griffin/T-Mo
    Rice/Nachbar/T-Mo
    Mobley/FA signing
    Francis/Mooch/Tierre

14. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

It would be aweful if Hakeem went to play with the Jazz. The best Rockets player ever going to the team that Rockets fans hate the most. That would be terrible. :(

15. Rocketblast

Rocketblast Member

Uh, why? I don't think we should pick up Hakeem again, especially after he bolted town. The only way he could come over here is in a trade, or if the Raptors buy out his contract. We also have Cato too. It's pointless to do so.

16. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

Yeah Rocketblast, getting Dream back would be pointless. He wouldn't really have a place on this team anymore. We already have Ming and Cato. Cato isn't good, but Dream is just getting too old. He should retire.

17. Rocketblast

Rocketblast Member

The only reason we would bring him here would be to mentor Ming, but I think the coaches can bring him along just fine. Hakeem does not seem much like a mentor anyway.

18. lalala902102001

Don't be surprised if Dream doesn't start for the Raptors next season, especially if they retain Clark.

In this way, he will face Ming when the second units are on the floor. I won't expect Rudy to start Ming right away, especially after he misses half of the training camp.

19. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

You all should quit hating on the Dream, he did more for this team than any player in Rocket's history. While I wish things could have worked out, thats life and you give the man the respect that he deserves