1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Van Gundy: Houston is the hardest playing team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff Who, Dec 25, 2009.

1. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

After hearing garbage from Kenny Smith and Barkley its refreshing to hear some positive words coming from the national media. I love JVG!

2. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Member

I wouldn't exactly call Jeff Van Gundy a homer. He coached the Knicks you don't see him talking them up. I think he truly likes the Rockets product.

3. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

Whenever Van Gundy comments, I think of a typical Clutchfans poster.

4. Scientific1

Scientific1 Member

He's still a Rocket at heart. I miss you JVG. :(

5. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Even though he's not our coach anymore, I still want to have Jeff Van Gundy's baby.

6. matthappy

matthappy Member

JVG is definitely a rox-kisser.

though he was stupid in developing our young players when acting as a coach here,still I would show my respect for his support for this team

7. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Insert Name Here: Houston is the hardest working team.

No kidding. Welcome to last season.

8. plee

plee Member

I think when JVG was here, he found out how the "national" media treats the Houston teams, Rockets especially. So now I think he does give us some love because he knows nobody really "watches" the Rockets.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

JVG is the best coach the Rockets ever had. He did more with less than anyone else.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Most of these players were not here with JVG........so I think he is genuinly commenting on how the team plays.

Heck, doesn't everyone agree, they play hard every single game.......and it is AWESOME !!!

DD

11. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I agree... the only players currently on the rockets who played for JVG - Chuck, Shane, Yao and Tracy.

Everyone else has been added since he left. Don't you remember how excited he was about how Scola and Landry played their rookie years.. he loved them.

Whoever said he got the most out of less is right. He did a great job with the players he was given. And the whole "he didn't develop the young guys" argument doesn't fly with me. Have any of the "young guys" he was given done much other than Chuck and Luther. What other talented young guys were on our roster that are still playing in the NBA?

1 person likes this.
  12. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Wouldn't be surprised if JVG is a member and posts on Clutchfans :grin:

13. geennee

geennee Contributing Member

It is not homerism if it is true.

14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Nope.

Remember, his best is simply 1st round playoffs.

A team consisting of Yao and McGrady and not making the second round on multiple tries is an automatic no-no.

Adelman's team performed better against the Jazz with one less star. There were no dismal record setting performances in playoffs like Gundy's team.

Adelman's team actually went to second round, again, with one less star. The same year Adelman's team took the eventual champions to 7 games in the SECOND ROUND.

Adelman's system promotes younger player's development. So not only are we winning now, but we are building for the future too.

And then there's a certain Rockets coach who has won 2 championships.

He won his first against Pat Riley, who mentored Gundy, who was then the assistant coach of the Knicks.

His second championship set all sorts of playoff records, and those werent negative kinds either.

#34 Zboy, Dec 25, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  15. clos4life

clos4life Member

Exactly, that's what riles me about people complaining about JVG as a coach. The guy is darn good.

16. choujie

choujie Member

True statement. JVG had Tmac/Yao and basiclly nothing else, yet still managed to have some 50+ win seasons and almost beat loaded Dallas and Utah in playoffs.

RA is also great, but he definitely should give Morey a lot credit for getting him all these solid players.

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

But have we ever proven JVG wrong except in cases of injuries? JVG may talk us up, but his praise have always been warranted. The past few years, this teams has consistently overachieved despite major injury bugs. You can say that Yao and T-Mac has let us fans and JVG down because they keep getting injured. But overall I can't say I'm not proud of how our team has played.

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Its called matchups.

first round, second round doesnt matter

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

+1
    QUOTED FOR THE TRUTH!

Rocket River

20. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Contributing Member

fixed :grin: