1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Bill Simmons; Trades that should happen

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NateNate, Dec 23, 2009.

1. NateNate

NateNate Member

2. MD_in_Training

From article:

1. Fake Trade No. 2 (three-way): Tracy McGrady's EC to the Knicks; Randolph, Eddy Curry and Cuttino Mobley's EC to Houston; Gallinari to the Warriors. New York wipes Curry off the books. Houston takes a $10 million hit next year for a chance to hit superstar pay dirt with Randolph. Golden State gets something for Randolph before he inadvertently sabotages his trade value for good by crying during all five games of a road trip. And Gallinari realizes his destiny as a NellieBaller. Everyone wins.

2. VP's Verdict: Bosh doesn't have nearly as much trade value as Chris Paul because he's obviously fleeing in six months. Still, they should be using him to retool and dump the Marcus Banks/Reggie Evans ECs ($9.8 million owed in 2011). A trade like Bosh, Reggie Evans and Marcus Banks to Houston for T-Mac, Luis Scola, a 2010 No. 1 pick and $3 million makes a little sense, but Colangelo would never do it. He'd be better off keeping Bosh and making believe he might stay. One scenario DOES make sense though …

3. Mitigating Factor No. 2: They can't use West to solve their tax issues because Paul would immediately demand out. For instance, let's say Houston offered them Shane Battier, $3 million and the Brian Cook/Chuck Hayes ECs for West, Peterson and Ike Diogu's EC. The Hornets would save $3.2 million in salary, $3.2 million in tax money, then earn another $3 million from the extra cash this season. Next season, they'd save another $7 million in salary and $5-7 million in tax money. On top of that, they'd be eligible for tax benefits as an under-the-tax team. Adding everything up, that trade saves them more than $22 million. But what's the collateral damage? Chris Paul says, "Get me out of here." So they couldn't go there unless they were ready to move Paul, as well.

4.Fake Trade 8a: Houston trades Aaron Brooks (expires 2011) with T-Mac, Scola and Brian Cook (all expire 2010) for Chris Paul and the Peja-Songaila-Posey cap-killing trio. Considering Houston's deep pockets, they'd have to do it -- how else can they acquire a top-10 player? And New Orleans would fall under the tax (saving them about $16-17 million this year, plus another $25-30 million next year) and replace a decent chunk of Paul's production with a Brooks/Darren Collison combo.

3. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

the part about the empty seats, its because they count season ticket holders, most of the lower seats are season tickets, we all know this from the rockets pathetic corporate crowd who all leave early and arrive late, if at all

4. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

the trade ive been hoping for (chris bosh) seems to be the most impractical...

5. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

The Randolph one seems doable.

Scola and the 2010 first round pick for Bosh? Is Simmons dreaming or it's actually Morey's idea? :grin:

I would gut the team for CP3 but NOLA would never trade him unless CP3 himself wants out.

6. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Ever since Simmons has touted the McGrady/CP3 trade, I've been salivating ... hope it happens.

I love Brooks, Scola and actually hope TMac turns it around ... but, to get a top 10 player like Paul, who is that young, you HAVE to do it.

Houston is very well positioned to do well in trading this winter ... we should see some exciting changes.

:)

I'm not sure that Houston would trade Battier and Hayes, to get West, though.
    But, even though Okafor is overpaid, I'd like to see him come in the deal.

7. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I would do the Aaron Brooks/Scola for Paul and Peja deal.

8. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I don't understand this, why people want Bosh so bad on Houston. We have an AMAZING PF tandem, really PF is the least of our need to upgrade positions. I'd much rather have a 2 guard (one that can shoot/take over games... maybe like Hmm Tmac of 2005? :D), or a really good PG (aka Paul), but thats just my opinion.

9. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I wouldn't even do Hayes straight up for West.

10. BK219

BK219 Member

I'd be all over the Chris Paul deal

11. AKRocketsFan

AKRocketsFan Member

All these trade Ideas are weak. We need a Closer not another superstar. A legitmate star closer. Why do you think the Magic went out and got Vince Carter. They needed a closer. He's not the superstar he once was. But he's a legitimate fist tier closer.

If T-Mac can prove he's still capable of that job. Then there is no need to let him go. Are team never really needed Artest. What we needed was for are young guys to develop and get more athletic players around T-mac and Yao.

We've done that and more now all we need Yao and the MAc to be healthy. With the team we have now at full health are close too . We can win a few championships here in the next years.

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

It doesnt matter how good Scola/Landry is because Bosh/Landry and Bosh/Scola are both way better. A 2 guard isnt available

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

So would I. I absolutely love Luis,and like Aaron too,but I would be willing to add our upcoming 1st round pick and McGrady to get Paul with Posey or Peja. Peja is making an unexpected comeback which could be a bonus.
    Don't see NO doing it,but it would be great for us.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

We already have Scolandry,West makes no sense. Chuck is invaluable.

15. worzel gummidge

Simmon's wanted Morey to sign AI... :eek:

16. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

I dont like the NY/GS trade, the Tor trade is 50/50, and the Hornets trade is pretty decent.

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If NO trades paul time to close up the franchise.

18. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The PF's we currently have are all better than West. From the Rockets perspective you don't even do Bosh since he's a free agent and we're trading to acquire a guy at a position we already have a strength at (people DO realize our PF's combined for 48 POINTS last night right?). The only one we consider is for a legit star who will be here longer than this year and the next. That would amount to (out of all the stuff thrown out there that I've seen so far) Paul, Kevin Martin, or Randolph, and not much else honestly.

Letting T-Mac's contract expire on us is looking better each day that our "role players" like Landry and Lowry keep stepping their games up.

19. kyotic1

kyotic1 Member

even though i would love to see CP3 or Bosh in Rocket's uniform, i think we have to be careful in not giving up too much. For example, god forbid something happens to CP3 or Bosh, then we re worse off than before.

I think we should wait for the end of the year and look to sign someone rather than in a big trade.

just my opinion

20. MattM

MattM Member

Your logic is sound,

T-MAC will not be dealt. He will expire here.