1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cuban filing protest after loss

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rhino17, Dec 18, 2009.

1. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I missed the game while I was flying in to TX, and with blackout restrictions I've been in Houston and Dallas recently, so I won't be able to watch the archive for two weeks, but from the looks of the replays there are too many subjective factors involved...

the League can easily rescind Brooks' flagrant which should then negate the free throws... right?

if they review Kidd's hard foul and issue a flagrant, then Rockets should get free throws... right?

how would this affect possession with 1:01 remaining?

too many factors to make Cuban happy.

but I'm worried that Stern the lawyer will allow the replay based on the rules of official reviews...

2. lauradelenn

lauradelenn Member

I may very well be wrong, but I don't think that the entire game is up for review, just the specified plays/calls that were specified in the complaint.

I wonder if Cuban would push so hard for a review if it were of the whole game?

3. across110thstreet

the league can assess flagrant fouls retroactively...

a letter from Stu jackson

http://media.nba.com/official/flagrant_fouls_2009_12_14.html

4. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

No, but that's not what he's arguing now. First, he said he was going to protest because they were reviewing a foul that was "unreviewable." Then, he files the protest saying that Dampier did not swing an elbow, which would require a review to determine whether he did or not. Isn't there some type of strange hypocrisy here? Plus, the determination of a technical foul is probably going to be deemed to be too arbitrary to replay the game, as the rules state that it is "up to the discretion of the official"-

Besides, as I said, if that idiot wouldn't have received a technical earlier, his a** wouldn't have been ejected. Really, it's just a silly matter at this point.

5. dandorotik

Yes, but don't think that the Rockets haven't requested a review of the Jason Kidd incident. It's just that we wouldn't feel the need to alert the media about it.

6. across110thstreet

i think the League reviews hard fouls and technical fouls on their own.

7. Joe Gent

Joe Gent Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CyJe9cVjN6k&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CyJe9cVjN6k&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I wonder what dampier would have done if Brooks didn't walk away. I honestly think this foul could have easily been counted as just a foul. Brooks made she he fouled in a manner that he made sure was clean and didnt injure Dampier in any way. Not like he elbowed or punched they guy during play ---cmon!! lol. But speaking of fouls, is it more or did that foul by Dirk look like an offensive found, I dont remember if they even called that?

8. Joe Gent

Joe Gent Member

Sorry about the spelling in the last reply. Man I need spell check enabled lol.

9. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

I don't see how a replay of the game could happen based on a subjective call. In the lead referree's opinion, Damp threw the elbow and that should be all that matters. Regardless of whether or not instant replay should or shouldn't have been used, the refs were trying to get the call right. The league won't overule the refs opinion that the elbow was thrown.

If we were contesting a foot on the 3 pt line or a buzzer beater that showed the ball still in the shooter's hand, then yes, I could see a replay of the end of the game.

The outcome (if there is a different outcome) will likely be that Damp's tech is rescinded so it doesn't count against his overall total for the season.

/Cuban's crying.

10. Joe Gent

Joe Gent Member

11. dandorotik

You're absolutely right- I stand corrected, thank you.

I wonder how it would work if players couldn't foul out of games. I guess that would get things more out of control? Hmm. I do know that technicals are part of all sports and even football players can get ejected on "technical fouls" or whatever they call it in football (showing my ignorance here).

12. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

cuban =

[​IMG]

13. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

Im actually rooting for this to happen, it'll be fun seeing rockets beat the mavs in their own stadium again.

14. SaYwaH

SaYwaH Member

NBA might uphold Mavs protest?

"Only one team out West (Phoenix) has played more roadies than the Rockets. And Houston gets to make an extra trip to Dallas if the league upholds the Mavs' protest because it already made its two trips to Big D."

cant belive this would even be a possibility ? atleast per steins rankings

15. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Contributing Member

Wut? This better not happen

16. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

Remember Stein is from Dallas and a hardcore mavs homer

17. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Would the replay the whole game or just the time period from Brooks' "flagrant" till the end of overtime? This would be insane if the league actually upholds this.

18. SaYwaH

SaYwaH Member

thats BS i bet cuban would pay off everyone just to make that happen

19. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

seriously?...

20. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

That's just Stein musing. Dallas officially filed the protest just today. There's no real information on its progress at all.