1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[nerds] Best Final Fantasy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Al Calavicci, Dec 15, 2009.

?

Which is your favorite?

1. FFIII (U.S. FF1)

5 vote(s)
    4.2%
  2. FFIV (U.S. FF2)

6 vote(s)
    5.1%
  3. FFV

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  4. FFVI (U.S. FF3)

26 vote(s)
    22.0%
  5. FFVII

43 vote(s)
    36.4%
  6. FFVIII

8 vote(s)
    6.8%
  7. FFXI

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  8. FFX

13 vote(s)
    11.0%
  9. FFXII

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  10. FFTactics (Not a true ff game but I don't blame you)

9 vote(s)
    7.6%
  1. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

juicystream - So does Chronicles have VI in it? I know it was III here originally.

2. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

As a gamer brought up on the FF series and played every game in the poll, I think 6 is the best. Best cast of characters, best story and best music. Battle system was incredible in it's time as a major upgrade over FF4.

My picks in order based on play when released:
    2,3 (translated roms aren't the best way to play)

10 could have been better if they left in subtitles vs crappy dubbing. I could not stand Tidus's voice. Probably spent the most time playing 11, but alot of that was repetitive leveling.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Chronicles has Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 4(2 in the US)

Anthology has Final Fantasy VI/3 and Final Fantasy V which was never released previously. So you want to pick up Final Fantasy Anthology. I believe it comes with a soundtrack as well.

I only posted Chronicles and Orgins in case you were interested in those as well. All the games are the original gameplay and graphics. They have added intro videos and some extra stuff that you can unlock like videos and info on monsters.

4. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

It's a battle between 6 and 7.

6 got me hooked into the genre entirely when I was young. 7 single-handedly caused me to trade in my N64 for a PSX. Both are awesome, but 7 was probably slightly better than 6 in my book.

5. juicystream

N64 had Ocarina of Time, which alone was good enough reason to keep a 64. Then again, I think FF7 did come out first. FF7 is why I got a PS, and Zelda is why I got my 64.

6. Wakko67

Cool. I didn't think though that Anthology was on anything current.

7. juicystream

Its a Playstation One game, so its a little amazing that it can be found new on Amazon. Now I only pull out my SNES for Super Mario World, FF Mystic Quest, and A Link to the Past.

8. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Yep, no Zelda at the time of FF7.

9. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Thought this was funny, though 7 is one of my favorites behind 6 and tactics.
    [​IMG]

10. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Really like most of the series. If I had to pick one, it'd be 9 atm.

Replayed 4, 6, and 10 over the past year and am working my way through 7 right now. Pretty stoked for 13.

11. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

I was really tempted to vote for VIII instead of VI, but I've just played through 6 so many times it's not fair to not give it the nod.

For some reason FF8 just does it for me. I think I played it at the peak time when I was growing up. It also helped that I found the characters in that game easier to relate to, as they were nearly all around my age and completely human for the first time ever. (No weird midgets, or half monkeys, or giant animals)

Ultimately I could not vote for it, as it failed to explore some of the neat concepts it introduced late game (like time travel, or universes merging together)

Besides, how many RPGs completely change the in-game world halfway through the game?

Star Ocean 2 was pretty good in that respect, as they actually blew the mother****er up, but they cheaped out by letting you visit

12. jedicro

jedicro Member

I know some people really hate Tidus, but the story in X gets me every single time. I love it to death.

It is and probably always will be my favorite game of all time. Although I've really been hankering to play VIII recently.

13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

FF ONE!

mostly just because I like the stuff I grew up on. Give me Zelda 1. Metroid 1. Prince of Persia original. Just my choice on a lot of things.. I guess the same way the people who didn't play much NES or SNES are saying FFVII for the same reason..

14. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

That was a hidden feature, and more of a side dungeon. I loved how the level cap was 255, I favored SO2 over FF7.

15. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Isn't the load times horrendous for the PS remakes? I remember trying to replay FF6 and couldn't stand it.

16. Wakko67

This may be a dumb question, but are the 60gb PS3s backwards compatibale with PS1 games?

17. thech0senone

thech0senone Contributing Member

Yes they are. I have a 60gb and I haven't come across a problem with playing a ps1 or ps2 game.

18. Wakko67

Awesome. Just ordered it on Amazon.

19. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

All PS3s are BC with PS1 games. They've always used software emulation, so it doesn't really matter which SKU it is. Partially explains why they sell PS1 games but not PS2 games via PSN.

As for the poll question, I usually waver between FF6 and FF7. I generally go with FF6 when push comes to shove. I enjoy all the FF games I've played quite a bit though...even Mystic Quest to certain degree.

Perhaps a more interesting poll question would be which FF spinoff is the best.

20. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Pretty sure FF1 US is the same as FF1 Japan. FF2 & 3 Japan were never released in the US.

FF1 J = FF1 US
    FF4 J = FF2 US
    FF6 J = FF3 US

Anyway, my vote is for FF4, mainly due to nostalgia. Kain is probably the coolest character design ever.

Overall, I'd rank them like this:

1. FF4
    2. FF6
    - big gap -
    3. FF1
    4. FF10
    5. FF7
    6. FF9
    7. FF5
    8. FF11
    9. FF8 (yuck)