1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AA - Air Pass, anyone ever have one?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDakota, Dec 12, 2009.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I have been traveling for business a lot, and was thinking about getting an Air Pass, anyone have any experience with these?

What are the benefits, rewards like?

I am currently platinum on AA, travel about 60k miles a year, about to go up on that next year, and wondering whether it might be better to get an Airpass.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

DD

2. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

I never fly American, but I just got platinum status with SPG. Definitely worth it.

3. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

I recommend the mile high club.

4. DaDakota

Supporting Member

So no one has ever gotten one of these?

Something like you pay $15k - $25k and get to fly anywhere anytime in first class?

We are thinking about doing this as a corporate expense.

DD

5. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Cleverly designed "I've been on a plane" thread.

6. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I don't have any experience with it, but this looks like a pretty good website from what I could find:

http://tinyurl.com/y9bebx4

7. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lXF-1d6ji64&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lXF-1d6ji64&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

8. ProjectRockets

international too?
    for 1 participant?
    is there similar plan for companies?

9. DaDakota

Supporting Member

That is what I am asking....I checked Google and tried to call AA, but they are not open until Monday so I thought surely someone at Clutchfans has some experience with these.

DD

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I think if it was only 20K there would be way more people doing it. No way is it that cheap.

11. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I don't know......I mean how many people/companies are willing to give 20k up front for the year?

Maybe there are limits or mileage countdowns?

DD

12. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

http://www.aairpass.com/Works.asp

took literally 30 seconds

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

That can't include international. A international first class ticket cost about 8-10 thousand dollars.

I always fly first class because I'm exec platinum. I think you need an excuse to fly to asia a couple of times to get to exec platinum. With the free bonus rewards offers they run, I get 30 thousand miles a pop.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I spent over 90K with American one year and you will be surprised how many people that fly more than I do. Think of all the consultants and sales people out there that fly out every week to multiple locations.

15. YaosDirtyStache

I dont fly, that stuff is way too scary for me.

SOMEONE convince me that my fears are unfounded please so I can see the world :(

1 person likes this.
  16. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Below is the number of planes in the air at one moment in time in just America. How often do you hear about accidents? A couples times a year? This year was a bad year with about 6 maybe ...including international?!? Of those, maybe half had casulties? Conversely, open your LOCAL newspaper. How many fatal car accident stories do you expect to see there DAILY? In Houston, there's at least one there virtually every day ...and that's just what they report.

[​IMG]

Another way to think about. How many people do you know that have been in a place accident. I fly a lot and know a lot of people that do. I don't know anybody that has been in an accident. I've heard a few scary stories but it turns out in the end that they weren't in any real harm.

Conversely, how many people do you know that have had serious car accidents? I could probably name a dozen or more including myself. I've even known a couple people killed. :(

If fear of flying is what is keeping you from taking vacations, you seriuosly need to acknowledge to yourself that it is nothing more than your personal fear because the reality of flying is VERY VERY different than your fears. Look, if it is your time to go than so be it. As the cliche goes, you could die walking down the street so don't let your personal issues steal your quality of life in the time that you DO have left on this earth.

#16 krosfyah, Dec 13, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  17. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

No way this is international. Might be able to customize it to be. I flew 119k miles last year on United and US Air combined. That's a lot but there are people in my company who flew 200k miles this year.

18. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It does work internationally. I just checked and flights from JFK-LHR are about $500 cheaper right now using Airpass, but timing is also a factor.

I have one. It's not life changing -- if you're flying enough, you'll get most of the upgrades anyway. It does help, though.

Basically, you get an allotment of miles at a fixed cost. If you're going between common city pairs (eg, DC to Chicago comes to mind for me), it's usually cheaper to book without using Airpass. Where it comes into play is for relatively short flights to smaller airports that just don't have the volume to bring down the price.

If you have a lot of one-off flights to random places, it's probably worth it. If you're just shuttling back and forth to NYC or something, probably not.