1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo] Rockets don't want McGrady back, continue to try to trade him

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets934life, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

so... you would pay 280k for every game for a broken knee Mcgrady to disrupt the offense? He wont be back next year so why bother bringing him in ? He should be gone before Feb. One more month without him wont kill us.

2. pdewalt

pdewalt Member

Well if you're waiting for Brooks, Battier, Ariza, Landry and/or Yao to be that player then you will continue to cheer about making it to the second round as if it was a championship.

There's no way in the world I can believe that Les is happy with a transition year of basketball. I'm sick of this "little engines that could" PR campaign.

DM, Les and Adelman if you've made up your minds, finish the deal!! :mad:

3. Seth

Seth Member

ooohh and i forgot the two main reasons why TMac wont care a single bit to "gel"with his teammates, because the great sports media (and therefore the casual fan) doesn't care a lot if you are a team player. They care aboput points, highlights and all that can be sold, being a nice guy awho plays for the team won't give you money, as you won't sell tickets or highlights.

For example, Scola, is a 15/10 player this season, but also a great guy, a positive leader and a bigtime team player. Yet, he will never get the kind of money that players averageing 20 ppg and being "athletic" will get. Because Scola won't get 2 of his 15 points on Sportscenter while Zach Randolph will squeeze 4 or 6 of his 17.

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Tmac shutting it down last year and not telling the team burned someone's fuse. The question is who?

5. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

First of all, it's not necessarily better to have cap room than to be just under the luxury tax. Having the higher salary, theoretically, means you can have more talent. The problem comes when you have too many bad contracts, i.e., contracts that are more than the player is worth. Those are hard to trade.

From other threads, I understand that, barring a trade, we have to do something like renounce Scola, Lowry, maybe Hayes, maybe Landry, to get cap space, assuming we also let Tracy walk. We are not likely to get much better value from a FA than we would get from these players, though we could get one player of very high impact. If anything goes wrong with High-Dollar Player, though, it will be much harder to trade him than four cheaper players. The players we will be able to renounce are all worth at least what we pay them.

Letting Tracy walk would have the effect of lowering our team salary quite a bit. Since we don't have a lot of bad contracts, this pretty much just lowers our team talent level.
    Better would be to trade Tracy for a player or players that are worth their contracts, and whose contracts are hopefully short (1-3 years).

If we renounce some of our other players (and Tracy) to sign, say, Chris Bosh, we would have lost a good bit of talent. It isn't easy to build that talent base back up; the salary cap prevents you from increasing your team salary by very much at a time. By the time you get it (and thus your team talent level) back up to a good level, other things have happened to kill your dream. For instance, you have Yao Ming who develops foot problems, or a Steve Francis, who also turns out to be less than you thought...

Getting your team salary to $42 million or so can be exciting for a team that doesn't really have the option of having $68 million in decent contracts, but DM has us in a position, hypothetically, to swap Tracy for the dollar equivalent of 3 players at Scola's level. Think about it.

6. pdewalt

pdewalt Member

Folks there is no such thing as being 100% post surgery. Your body will never be the same. I guess that I'm being literal here but this idea that he has to be at this arbitrary place physically is a bunch of crap. No player is or stays 100% playing any physically demanding sport.

If this situation goes into Jan, this team better be playing well.

7. NOIINTEAM

NOIINTEAM Member

If T-mac can't play ,if no trade happens , I don't think he will remain on the bench doing nothing . My best guess would be that he will agree to a buyout for a few millions less than his contract value . It's in his best interest to agree to a buyout then go to find another team , play for the minimum just for 1 season to try to get another contract . He can even go to a contender to get what he wants most a championship

8. Seth

Seth Member

The problem with your post is that TMac contract is quite big, most teams won't trade 3 scolas for him, and his attitude makes it even harder for us to trade him. Wheather some here like it or not. Most teams prefer players on the injuried list to be out of the tabloids.

9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I read the first three pages of this thread and noticed that every single person who was critical of how the Rockets are handling this situation had some reference to McGrady in their name. It's kind of hilarious. Way to hide your bias.

To those who are critical of how Morey and Adelman are handling this - You have no idea what's going on behind the scenes. None of us do. But guess what? Morey and Adelman do and they both have considerably stronger track records than you. So I'm going to go ahead and assume they're a whole lot closer to being in the right than you are.

Also, until this situation is resolved one way or another, it's difficult to assess how well it is being handled. If McGrady is traded, for instance, we can't even begin to judge that trade until after the trade is made.

Regardless, your complaining will get you nowhere. It's pretty apparent McGrady is through being a Rocket. Accept it.

1 person likes this.
  10. Seth

Seth Member

Imagine you are right, he signs with the Celtics, and they are out in the first round of the playoffs. The guy would just kill himself...

11. Seth

Seth Member

Better read the whole thread.

12. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

They aren't trading three Scolas for him; they're trading that kind of value in exchange for drastically improving their cap position.

OK, we don't get three Scolas, but we can get a nice chunk of basketball ability for TMac without doing something like getting Chris Bosh for Scola, Landry, Lowry, Hayes, and TMac. It would be nice to have Bosh, but we'd end up with a good bit less total talent.

13. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Oh man. Just end it. Trade him. PERIOD :)

14. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

This seems to be Morey's bedrock principle. The problem is, as I stated in post #98, that I feel we're eliminating potential trade suitors by refusing to play him and showcasing his post-microfracture abilities. Teams interested in both cutting salary -AND- remaining competitive will be taking a huge risk if, worst case scenario, he's unable to play.

15. NOIINTEAM

NOIINTEAM Member

hahahaha he will retire

16. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

17. skillz034

skillz034 Member

whatever theyre going to do hopefully they do it fast. cuz this drama is very annoying. either play him or trade him. end it allready.

18. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

19. Gascon

Gascon Member

If he plays and sucks, then we have nothing.

Trust in Morey.

20. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

so clutch's source is right. this is BEYOND health reasons. tmac is not going to play another game for the rockets again. he'll play his first game with another team.