1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[College Football] Bobby Bowden retires

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by justtxyank, Dec 1, 2009.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It's official, per ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4703506

End of an era. Well done old man, well done.

I know he had fallen on hard times at FSU, but this is their loss to be sure. They were nothing before him, and the idea that they are destined to be what he made them now that he is gone is ridiculous.

2. YaosDirtyStache

Old Yeller got what was comin to him, stayed way past his time.

3. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Sorry but I think this was long overdue. The man is like 80 or close to it! Yes, there is no question that Bowden pretty much (not pretty much but DID) turn FSU's football program around, but he was starting to harm it more by staying around than taking a hint and leaving. He has built that program into an elite one; they should have no trouble continuing to be a powerhouse. However, they have fallen into such mediocrity of late, that it will take Fisher a couple of years to get them out of it.

That is why it would probably be a good idea to get the other old geezer out of there while his team is still pretty decent up in Happy Valley. Have one of his long-time assistants come in to a team that won 10 or 11 games the previous season and not 6 or 7.

4. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1AqnsjEPLIA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1AqnsjEPLIA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

5. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

WTF??? :confused:

6. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

They basically pushed the old man out of the house he built.

But, it was necessary.

7. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Guess those yo' mamma jokes in the huddle went a little too far.

8. Major

Major Member

I don't see how it's their loss. They are now basically a 0.500 team with him. Maybe they won't be better - but I don't think setting the ceiling at 0.500 is a good goal for any program, let alone Florida State.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

To those who think it has been overdue... I felt that way once too. Maybe I still do.

But if you had any idea what he has done for that school, the people he has touched, and the kind of person he is... what he has done for college football and people in general - through adversity, in the face of critics, you would feel like I do.

He transcends his last couple of seasons at FSU. Nobody respects anybody anymore, that's the thing. Any kid with a half a brain would follow Bowden no questions asked.

FSU nearly lost its football team when Bowden arrived.

He built FSU, he is FSU.

gag em

10. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

WTF indeed!

Maybe he thought they were running some kind of trick play? Or fell asleep? :confused:

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Joe Pa FTW

ooooh, sorry Bobby, I don't hate, loved the Charlie Ward teams. Fun team to watch during the good years. Hate to see a guy go past his prime. Not too many people accomplish what he has and the thing about being a coach is leaving your imprint on this world in the form of the leaders you built.

A lot of these guy get critism for "exploiting" kids who probably don't belong on these campuses but I truly believe even though he wanted to win he really cared about the kids he recruited.

Enjoy retirement

12. Major

Major Member

I think he earned the right to stay for a long time. But he started this several years ago, let the school know he was getting ready to leave, had the school make a commitment to his OC to be the next head coach, and then decided to drag it out each year. That's unfair to the school, who was going to owe Jumbo Fisher $5MM this year if he wasn't promoted to head coach.

13. g1184

g1184 Member

answer:

14. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

center snaps early = automatic assumption of offsides without the possibility of a mistake? I think not.. I'll go with the sleeping theory

on Bowden, I'm in the "should've already happened" camp.

But I don't know about the "nice guy Bowden" stuff. I'd be interested to read some of it..(Ziggy?) I do know that he made that program. Which means he also has credit for their (relative) crappiness over the last 8ish years

JoePa, take notes..

15. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

that is pretty cool. the O-line was obviously trying to punk their QB for some reason and they let their guys get past them without any blocking. that one frozen guy just lacked any sort of subtlety about it so he must have been super pissed at the QB.

16. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I watched the whole game. They pulled this stunt several times, probably 5 at least. And it did get them maybe 3 off sides penalties. This video is the exception; every other time the ENTIRE line was frozen.

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Like when Devaughn Darling died by exhaustion during Summer Drills, so Bobby said it wasn't his fault and then made Devard Darling transfer.

18. hjg877

hjg877 Member

Yeah if you're going to let the defense get to the QB, at least TRY and make it look authentic.

The Bama O-line did the same thing a few years back with Brodie Croyle in the '05 Iron Bowl (Croyle was sacked 11 times). It had to do a lot with attitude off the field.

======

Apparently the ACC is working on FSU's (and Bowden's) behalf to get them into a Florida bowl game. That would be a great send off if it wasn't borderline illegal (4 ACC teams above them with better records will get overlooked).

19. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Yea, I heard about that and I am pissed. Miami went 9-3 (should have been 11-1) and they will probably have to play in some ****ty bowl because of this damn sentimental crap for Bowden. Miami should be in a BCS bowl game or at worse, the Gator Bowl not some idiotic bowl like the Champs Sports Bowl. :rolleyes:

There is something like 34 bowl games this year. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

20. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

LOL @ sending a certain team to a bowl game as being "borderline illegal."

Second, if Miami fans didn't travel like a MAC school to bowl games, they probably wouldn't have to worry about ending up in lower tier bowl games.