1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it getting weird in Portland?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by worzel gummidge, Nov 11, 2009.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I guess it would seem weird if you haven't watched them. It isn't like going 11-5 should cause them to panic. But in many of their wins you could tell their chemistry was way off and the games were a lot more difficult than they should have been. Also, the Blazers lost 2-3 games they probably should have won.

I think the "panic" in Portland is laughable because it was obvious to me they would struggle with chemistry issues early on. It will take time for their offense to adjust to the improved (and still improving) Oden actually demanding the ball and to Miller & Roy playing at the same time. The key for the team over the course of the season and playoffs is sacrifice. Roy is going to have to accept less touches and scoring opportunities for now while Oden works out the kinks, while LA adjusts to Oden's bigger impact, while Miller feels his way and while Rudy is allowed to play a more diverse role than last season. That's just the way it's going to be. If winning and contending are more important for Roy than his own personal game, he will suck it up and adapt.

Allowing the other guys to spread their wings now will pay off later. Roy needs better teammates in the playoffs if the Blazers are to advance. That should be burned into his memory after the Rockets series. Even now, the Blazers nearly blew the Pistons game (20-point lead after Q3) when they double him at the mid-court line because the other players couldn't capitalize. The meltdown was just breathtaking before Blake hit a late 3 to seal it. There was no joy after the game, believe me.

1 person likes this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Chemistry, adding a player like Miller who needs the ball to be effective means you take it away from others that are also effective.

You can't just toss a player into the mix....

Hmmmmm, now where else would that apply?

DD

3. JordanL

JordanL Member

Portland fan checking in.

I don't think Roy is unhappy, and I don't think he's creating problems. I don't think Miller is either. It's simply part of adding a free agent.

The biggest thing is that Roy is hungry. Every time a mic is put in front of his face he makes it clear: the goal this season is to be playing in June. That's what he wants. He is shooting for the ring.

Objectively that's probably not happening this season, but that's the ultimate goal, and Roy (rightly) feels that Portland has the talent to accomplish it. I imagine it is a bit frustrating to know your team is talented enough to win it all, and it's the intangibles that are holding you back.

Regardless, I don't think any of this will even remotely be an issue by the end of November.

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I am not sure if this is an issue but i think portland may have too much talent in areas and roles are not clearly defined and at the same time you have players who are capable of doing much more having to do less.

I am still not 100% sold on the miller signing.

Oden is starting to be that double double shot blocking center

its really up to Nate McMillan to set a plan on how they are going to win and play each night. Right now I dont know if he is a good enough coach to take that team from good playoff team to contender.

5. gdepster

gdepster Member

The blazers are close to imploding

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Strange. They need to go ahead and start Andre Miller, or trade him...

7. RoxTurk

RoxTurk Member

They should find a Mo Williams type guard instead of Andre Miller. Actually, Brooks fits with Portland excellently, but they gotta give at least Oden for Brooks :grin: And as a young team, we dont want old guys like Oden. :grin:

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

When Roy starts talking out loud like this regarding McMillan, uh oh! IMO, these problems were predictable. The last couple of games where they've been blown out in the 1st half, defense was the main problem (though their offense was very bad too), which says the players aren't giving out effort. It's as if they are quitting on the coach. Both against the Grizzlies and Jazz, the Blazers crept back into the game but they just couldn't (or wouldn't) stop the other team from scoring. Allowing the Grizzlies to shoot 54% was crazy enough, but for the Jazz to shoot 61% for the game was ridiculous. I've never seen the Jazz shoot so many wide-open jumpers. Completely uncontested.

Falling behind 61-39 at the half at home to Memphis was all about effort and the Blazers had none. But if it weren't for Tinsley, they would have come back and beaten the Grizzlies.

It's still early and they can figure things out. But they need Oden and Miller to emerge in order to become more than 1st round fodder. The Blazers have played 19 games, more than anyone in the NBA. They only have 2 games next week, so the rest and practice time should help. McMillan needs to sit down with Roy and Andre Miller. From reading the Portland newspaper and main Blazers fansite, Miller seems to have the full support of the team but there is obviously a major rift between him and McMillan that has to be addressed.

9. Shaud

Shaud Member

So Oden has developed and is starting to play some very good basketball while staying healthy but, The Blazers egos are now getting in the way.

10. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

I thought Brandon Roy is the kind of player that treasures team success more than individual. I guess I am wrong.

11. gdepster

gdepster Member

But that is his point. They can only beat below average teams this year. When they play a decent team they lose. Compared to last year they look lost on offense and it is only getting worse now because they are not playing the easy schedule they had to begin the year.

12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Hardwood Paroxysm on why Aldridge might need to be shipped out

This is one of the smaller tidbits I'm going to keep an eye on. Don't get me wrong: Oden's offensive game and Aldridge's offensive game are on opposite ends of the spectrum and both players CAN play together effectively.

It's just that I think Aldridge is going to realize, one day, that he CAN be the alpha dog (or at least the Second Banana) and would want out of Portland if Roy and Oden keeps their deity status in Portland. It could be another case of one-getting-out-of-another-player's-shadow.

I know I wouldn't mind having Aldridge try to attain all-star status in Houston

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

The problem here is Roy is already the first option, while you're adding a guy who wants the ball as well (Miller). In our case whose touches will Tmac limit? Battier? Ariza? LOL

14. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

We developed the name Batteriza for a reason damn it. Use it.

15. Hball

Hball Member

It's a lost cause with DD :(

16. TheShooter

TheShooter Member

I think DD is scared that T-Mac would take Buldinger minutes so DD would not be able to jack off everytime Chase enter the court.

17. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Has this thread been effectively highjacked enough to be closed yet?

18. worzel gummidge

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/11/blazers_seek_right_formula_to.html

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Anyone thinks that the Blazers, as ridiculous as it seems, have TOO much talent?

20. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

no, but they do have a lot of young scorers.