1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Technology Help - posible move to USA

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by davo, Nov 22, 2009.

1. davo

davo Contributing Member

Technology Help - possible move to USA

There is some possibility that I will be moving to the USA in the near future. I have previosuly lived in Houston (for 5 years) but that was about a 6 years ago. This move would be to the Bay Area. I would like to get your collective help for the following, if you can spare the time:

1. I need a quiet, small PC to have attached to my main TV in the living room. Primary purpose of this PC will be to stream media from the internet onto my big screen TV. This may include slingbox broadcasts, and also video from an online subscription sports broadcaster which unfortunately is windows only (whioch counts out Mac Mini and Linux). May also use it for Skype. Would strongly prefer wireless keyboard/mouse/remote control functionality. I have done a bit of googling and foudn the Asus eeebox - would that be sufficient? I would like to spend less than $500 if possible

2. Recomended Internet provider - prefer high speed DSL or cable with generous up and down speeds. Will be used for streaming media as per above, and would like wifi (although I know I can probably just go buy a combo wifi modem/router if needed).

3. Cable/Satellite TV. Is it a clear choice between DirectV, Dish and a cable provider? I would like a provider that gives access to Aussie Rules TV but I'm not sure who does this. I would like a package that provies a good deal for a DVR and allows viewing in separate rooms.

I have done a bit of reseach on the internet, and will continue to do so, but if anyone has some recent experience or expertise in the above it would be greatly appreciated.

#1 davo, Nov 22, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  2. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

where are you live?

3. davo

davo Contributing Member

Right now I'm in Australia, but possible moving to the East Bay, California.

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

You can get a slim Dell Vostro desktop for like 299 USD these days. They are really, small (18 lbs) and pack quite a punch. It is more than enough for your computing needs and to stream broadcasts. With keyboard, mouse and remote..the total cost should be about 400 USD. I would search around on Slickdeals.net as there is always a great deal.

5. Microfridge

Microfridge Contributing Member

Verizon FIOS or AT&T Uverse would be best ISP/TV service if it's available in your area. If you want to watch Rockets games though, you might need DirecTV.

6. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

7. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

USA #1!!

Ha Ha super fun

Welcome friend go for win

8. g1184

g1184 Member

East bay? Don't buy any of it. It'll get jacked.

9. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

build your own media box. you'll save $ and it'll be 5x more powerful and will no go obsolete in 5 months. Google this and you will find many DIY's on how...
    buy all your components from www.newegg.com

The best ISP I've dealt with was Speakeasy.net which is now owned by bestbuy, I believe.

Verizon FIOS is the way to go imo, for cable TV

10. davo

davo Contributing Member

East East Bay. Other side of the hills :)

1 person likes this.
  11. halfling131

halfling131 Member

Hi, Comcast sucks ass here.

12. davo

davo Contributing Member

Bump.

I have now relocated the family from Australia to the Bay Area, and will move into a new house in about 2 weeks. I am just about to pull the trigger on a few technology purchases and would like some follow-up advice:

1. PC - I need a lower cost PC to plug into my TV that wil be good for streaming media such as ESPN360, Slingbox, HULU etc. Will the Acer Revo for $199 suggested by Legend Z3, or do I need something better?

2. TV Service - the decision is down to Comcast or DirectV. Directv is cheaper but requires a 2 year contract. I will be here for 2 years, but I don't to sign up and then find that it is no good. AnNy advice?

3. To connect the abovre PC to the network, will wireless-N be sufficient? It seems in my experience that everytime I go wireless, the streaming video gets jerky. I don't really want to run Cat5 (it is a rental). Is powerline networking acceptable?

Thanks again!