1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2010 big men

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by htownbball, Nov 16, 2009.

1. htownbball

htownbball Member

This draft should be pretty stocked with C/PF and we are definitely in need of some size and physicality since Yao's health and future are a bit uncertain. Even then, we could use a backup C who can defend the paint and block some shots when Yao isn't in.

JR Cole Aldrich (6'11 250lbs, Kansas)
    Fairly average across the board in terms of tools. Should go high because he's a legit center. Can rebound and block shots, but isn't a great athlete.

SO Ed Davis (6'10 225lbs, UNC)
    Super long and athletic big man. Major upside but very raw. Everyone should know who he is by now.

SO Arnett Moultrie (6'10 230lbs, UTEP)
    Explosive, long, athletic, and physical. Very young and raw though and he doesn't play at a big school. Has a few offensive tools and can hit the midrange jumper. Has some major upside.

SO Greg Monroe (6'10 240lbs, Georgetown)
    Athletic big man who isn't quite as physical as his build would lead you to believe. Has some offensive tools and can shoot from outside. Smooth and agile, but not very explosive.

JR Larry Sanders (6'10 220lbs, VCU)
    Very good length with a 7'7 wingspan. Needs to gain some weight though and doesn't have much offensive tools. Very raw and will need some time to develop. Very athletic and has major upside.

JR Solomon Alabi (7'1 250lbs, FSU)
    Raw big man who shows some touch on his shot. Will need quite a bit of developing. Can really block shots though.

FR DeMarcus Cousins (6'11 260lbs, Kentucky)
    Athletic freshman. I don't see us taking any freshman though.

SR Michael Washington (6'10 240lbs, Arkansas)
    Good size if he really does measure out at 6'10. Not a great shot blocker, but he's long and athletic and averaged 15 and 10 as a junior. Has some offensive tools and can shoot from midrange.

JR Keith Benson (6'11 225lbs, Oakland)
    Long and athletic. Can block shots. Could add some weight/strength. Plays at a small school

SR Dexter Pittman (6'10 290lbs, Texas)
    Huge space eater, but I don't think he quite fits what we're looking for

SR Jerome Jordan (7' 245lbs, Tulsa)
    Can do a little bit of everything. Not a great athlete, but he's got size and he can block shots.

I'm kind of partial to Solomon Alabi. He's a 7 foot Nigerian who has some raw skills and can block shots. I'm hoping Dream can work with him and help develop him.

2. Convictedstupid

Twin Towers 2.0 houston style ftw.

3. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Played against Big Dex in HS...cant believe that man is about to be in the NBA lol. Crazy how time flies

4. htownbball

htownbball Member

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

You are 100% correct.

Sincerely,

Donte Greene

6. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

And Demarcus is just as immature as Donte was/is. Hopefully he matures over the year, but I won't hold my breath.

7. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

He probably means we don't draft a freshman and actually keep him (mold him into the team). Greene was a trading piece.

8. htownbball

htownbball Member

This class of freshman has been plagued by immaturity and rumors of impropriety. I'll put money on us passing on a freshman this year

9. Sean Elliot

Sean Elliot Member

Monroe fits Adelman's offense to a T. Smart, good passer, versatile big man who won't clog the lane with Yao back. Considering where we are likely to pick, I think it will be a stretch for him to drop but he would be the ideal pick in my opinion.

10. newarmy13

newarmy13 Member

Can't forget about Bryan Davis at A&M.

11. htownbball

htownbball Member

I like Monroe from an offensive standpoint, but he's not physical enough on the defensive side for me. Not a bruiser who will grab alot of rebounds or block alot of shots. But I agree, he'd be a solid pick.

12. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

some other big men you could add to that list: Favors(6'10), Montiejunas(7'0) , Brackins(6'10) or Henson(6'10)(I think he has the highest ceiling in the whole draft)

13. htownbball

htownbball Member

Henson is more of a Kevin Durant type player. If he were available, sure we'd take him, but he isn't the big man we need. Neither is Brackins, who is a 3/4 type hybrid similar to David West/Sharif Abdur Rahim. I don't really trust Euro bigs either, especially if they aren't bangers.

14. PointForward

PointForward Member

yep, he's a big sleeper. Dude can block shots with the best of them and has a great post game (or post game potential at least, ie: not freaking Oden lol). If we can snatch him the late 2nd round that would be awesome..

15. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

I played against him this summer lol. Guarding him sucked...dude had dunks all over lol...not over me though. :cool:

16. ralphacy

ralphacy Member

Alibi had a stress fracture. Damn I hate those words!

no thanks

It might take a season or two for big men to develop so even if we get one of these guys, the waiting period will suck. I say we trade for a big man instead.

17. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Exactly. We should get one of the premier wing players like Warren, Turner, etc. We have not drafted one of those in a long, long time.

18. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I think demarcus cousins is good, he is pretty athletic

19. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

He's very athletic... and when he matures he will be a great player. He actually has decent handles for as big as he is... very coordinated.

20. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I wonder what are the chances of the Plumlee brothers entering the draft!?!

I was seriously Impressed with their hopes for 6'11 players!!! :grin:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/y47zzmJ_QBQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/y47zzmJ_QBQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

-rb