1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why are religions not outlawed?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by stonegate_archer, Nov 12, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is a bit of a side track.

But a couple of years ago, I believe you argued pretty effectively (IMO) that the 2nd Amendment needs to be rethought, at least with respect to new technologies. For instance, since there were no machine guns in 1776, and such degrees of personal power in weaponry was unthinkable to the people writing the constitution, that it is reasonable to consider a greater degree of regulation than the "founding fathers" intended.

Necessarily, does not the same apply to the First Amendment? Absolute protections for newspapers and other antediluvian media technologies, but a much more stringent set of guidelines for post 1776 technologies that allow for greater degrees of demagoguery (specifically, things like crying jags and other gross emotional manipulation), such as TV and radio?

Just a thought. Not something I'm particularly arguing, but something that seems logical from what I remember of your previous positions.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

At the same time, I think the wide availability of news sources makes it hard to demagogue so easily. If you go to Church and the priest says something about a liberal politician, you could easily go home, Google it, and find out if it is BS.

In the past, I would think it would be much more difficult to get opposing viewpoints. We've got literally thousands of news sources now.

3. stonegate_archer

stonegate_archer Contributing Member

You are wrong about me on so many levels. It is not about hatred, it is about stop people from spreading lies and gaining power. I don't hate religious people, they are just misguided.

Dalai Lama is a big big liar. Muslim countries do a lot worse than America, have you heard they hold scientific conference and the only topic is the temperature of hell?

Religion is mind control.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

start a new thread, i guess. i'd have to think about that. if you're advocating the position, illustrate it a bit more.

5. Mr. Clutch

What you have to understand is that people can manipulate religion for their own gain. Same with money, or government, or any kind of power. Religion is not the problem, rather it's certain people who choose to use it for their own ends.

You can't ignore that there has been tremendous good done by religous people. Some of the biggest charities are religous charities. Some advances were made thanks to religious people. As a simple well known example, look at the Quakers and the anti-slavery movement.

On the flip side, there his been a lot of repression done by non-religious people and governments. For example, the Soviet Union, an atheist state, during the 1930's committed huge atrocitites.

And North Korea heavily oppresses Christianity, and we know they are a model for human rights. Perhaps this is your dream home?

1 person likes this.
  6. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

You mean greed and manipulation arent restricted to religions?? Somthing to consider is that zealots can take anything even the most noble of principles and turn it around and make it a complete abomination. Worldwide muslims are a very peaceful people. But leave it to a few zealots to twist the teachings of the religion and give them a bad name. Same for the megachurch preachers that have been under investigation in the US. Most preachers are honest folk who arent using their position for more power and money and stature. They just feel they are humbly doing what they were called to do.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Case and Point

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Nope.

If you take all the things we know for sure given to us by science (which is uhh... pretty much everything) and weigh them versus the things we're not sure about or are just now discovering (not counting things we haven't discovered yet), it is a ridiculously low percentage.

Time marches on.

9. Mr. Clutch

And yet many people are still religious. People look to religion for spiritual or moral gudiance, something science cannot do.

10. YugoRocketsFan

Why do you follow me everywhere? Are you a homosexual?

11. YugoRocketsFan

Hey! Look guys! Im God, im gonna create the Earth and then over 4.5 billion years later have a son named Jesus who is exactly like Horus a different god believed to be real by Ancient Egyptians! Now I cant just spawn him, so ima have to have sex with this nice piece of ass named Mary, Im also gonna make the 10 commandments, and send people to hell for not believing in my class A Bullcrap! But I do love you of course!

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This should end the thread's purpose, but I doubt the OP who hides behind rationality will come up with a sensible response given his emotional hatred for religion.

13. rockets2

rockets2 Member

Religion and politics dont mix. infact it equates to a a bruital an tyranical dictatorship that we see in Iran. i think choice of religion belongs to th individual as long as he/she dosent want force it onto other individuals throats.

14. eckostylez

eckostylez Member

Jesus had a falcon shaped head?

I always knew you were an idiot... but this just takes the cake.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Plus pancake dinners. Science ain't got s*** on pancake dinners.

16. YugoRocketsFan

Are you ****ing stupid? I meant trait-wise, being born of a virgin, healing people, etc. Looks like you are the idiot here.

17. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

laugh all you want, donny, but pancake dinners supply me with infinite amounts of spiritual and moral guidance...and as far as i know, pancakes exist. your p***y ass quantum mechanics and gravity and relativity are nothing but THEORIES.

i guess what i'm trying to say is, pancake dinners prove the existence of god.

i have hard photographic evidence of god by the way, courtesy of fatty's mom...

[​IMG]

18. Mr. Clutch

That makes no sense. Are you saying that morality and ethics don't exist?

19. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

I thought he was just being a little silly. DM tends to do that every now and then. I admit I laughed.

20. reckonerone42

reckonerone42 Member

Looking to back to the nice little red bar much?