1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Larry Johnson released. Texans need him.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Bag0b0y, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

Media is making it about his slur when in reality its about him openly criticizing the head coach. He basically said that his dad was more qualified than Haley.

2. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Pollard has played great. Since he was inserted in the starting lineup, I think the Texans run defense has been the best in the league and he is a HUGE part of it. Vernon Davis didn't "split his ass". DeMeco Ryans and Brian Cusing were covering him on two of those touchdowns.

3. Landlord Landry

D-Bo is beasting... you didn't hear?

Matt Cassel is such a puzzling reach by Haley/Pioli. I was really pumped up when I heard KC landed Pioli, and then his first move is Cassel? really? buzzkill.

like I said when the Chiefs signed Cassel. Scott.friggen.Mitchell

that goof is gonna hurt us for awhile.

like I said, he's the same player he was in KC. Excellent run coverage, suspect pass coverage. But, he's a servicable safety. KC had no buisness ditching him.

4. Landlord Landry

and Brandon Albert is a bust. :rolleyes:

5. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

BMcNair won't touch him due to his commentary, but I think it would be worth pursuing...

6. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

PAY HIM, RICK!

7. thech0senone

thech0senone Contributing Member

Texans to look at ex-Chiefs running back Johnson

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6711752.html

Texans coach Gary Kubiak said today they will check out former Kansas City running back Larry Johnson.

Johnson, who has issues on and off the field and is facing a possible suspension by commisioner Roger Goodell, was placed on waivers by the Chiefs.

Kubiak didn't say the Texans will sign Johnson, only that they'll check him out. They have Steve Slaton, Ryan Moats and Chris Brown as their current backs.

8. Summer Song Giver

I wouldn't be totally upset if he was brought in to do what Crissy Brown was doing in the preseason and hasn't been seen doing since. On the cheap I'd give him a shot as long as he understood what he was being brought in to do. Three year incentive laced contract with little of the money guaranteed, yeah I'd be down. Dude was a beast from '04-'06, maybe the best back in the with LT for that time span; losing messes with you psyche and a change of scenery might do him well, assuming he'd be cool with the Texans terms.

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Wouldn't be the first time Kansas City mucked up their QB situation badly.

They should have given the reigns to Gannon back in 98 instead of going with Elvis Grbac. I think everyone was jizzing their pants over Grbac because he was Steve Young's understudy in San Francisco and Steve Young of course worked out so well as Joe Montana's understudy that here everyone thinks Elvis Grbac is going to bust out and be the next great Bill Walshian QB.

Gannon of course goes on to 3 pro bowls and an MVP, while Grbac flamed out.

They shouldn't have ditched him, I thought it was a questionable move to just give up on a young guy like that when their secondary is anything but filled with guys ready to step in and play at a high level.

Texans Pass Defense is getting seriously exposed by Tight Ends though. Vernon Davis destroyed them on 3 plays and Dallas Clark looked like he was about to break TO's record for catches in a game yesterday.

10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Definitely surprised. If he comes in and makes an impact without acting like an idiot and disrupting the locker room I will gladly eat my words.

11. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

We need LJ..

Seriously going to let gay slurs stop them from signing a guy that ill help us and be the back we need to put us in the playoffs. He can be the difference for the entire season.

Rockets had Maxwell and I think that worked out pretty good no?

SIGN LJ

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

gay slurs are one thing, the guy has been a colossal douchebag to his teammates, his fans, and his coaching staff and owners, not to mention he's a woman-beater.

And on top of that, he hasn't done **** on the football field since KC's studly offensive line started falling apart.

I wouldn't want this piece of **** anywhere near my locker room.

13. Pete Chilcutt

True I agree with woman beating part. But people change when they are put in the right situation..

Look at Randy Moss, I think he had turned out pretty damn good for being such a knucklehead in Oakland

14. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Yuck, don't remind me. '97 and '99 might've been much better years with Gannon behind center. I hated that statue that was Elvis Grbac.

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Maybe they're trying to makeup for goofing up by not signing Ced Benson.

16. Landlord Landry

in all fairness, he has never been convicted of "beating" a woman, or even accused.

spitting/pouring water in someones face and pushing another's head is hardly a beating, nonetheless, he does have some head issues.

the only females Larry Johnson has ever truly whooped the **** out of are the Oakland Raiders. :eek:

17. Pete Chilcutt

I dont see any harm in signing Larry Johnson, I think the people hating right now are making it a big deal.

Even Cedric Benson had character flaws and look at him now.

At the end of the day Texans need LJ and LJ needs us for a chance to redeem himself.

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Don't even get me started on Moss' stint in Oakland.

He wasn't a complete washout in Oakland like people think, he had 1000 yards his first year with Kerry Collins at QB, he didn't put up "Randy Moss" numbers, but he still got his.

The next year was the beginning of the true trainwreck in Oakland. Norv Turner was squeezing out wins with a **** offensive line, no running game and a defense that was too young at some positions and too old at others. So they fire him and bring in Art ****ing Shell of all people.

There is not a chance in hell any WR in NFL history would have succeeded on the 2006 Oakland Raiders. I still don't understand how that team won 2 games. They had bad QBs back there (A washed up Aaron Brooks and Andrew Walter), with a horrible offensive line, no running game, A coach who had been out of football for over a decade and an offensive coordinator who had literally been out of football for the past 12 years and was running a bed and breakfast in podunk Idaho. On top of that Moss was dealing with injuries on a weekly basis. I mean look up the stats for that team in 2006. Their offense was pretty much the worst offense in NFL history.

I remember that season Moss started voicing this displeasure with the coaching staff. He was right. They had no business being on an NFL team. Al Davis as crazy as he is didn't want to trade him, but Lane Kiffin got hired, tried to reach out to Moss, Moss basically didn't return his call, so Lane said fine, **** him so they trade him for a 4th round pick who turned out to be a piece of ****, Moss goes to the best-run organization in football that is perpetually competing for a Super Bowl and turns in the most TD catches by a WR ever in a single season.

That situation isn't what you've got right now with Larry Johnson. Larry Johnson isn't going to magically turn into 2006 Larry Johnson just because he gets a change of scenery.

He's just a guy that everybody hates.

19. Landlord Landry

oh gawd.....

just like my LJ jersey, I have tried to give away the grbac jersey my dad bought me back in high school. My dog wouldn't even chew it.

I don't think it is necessarily a "good thing" when your safety is the leading tackler.

20. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I agree with you to a certain point. True you should hold your employees to high standards and all but you cant have an entire roster of "angels". If a guy can help your team and you think he will grow up and turn into a better person why not give him a shot. Not comparing L.J. to Moss but look how he changed once he went to New England. People make mistakes and deserve another chance. L.J. was 100% wrong for those comments but if I own a team and feel like this guy can help me win games then im giving him a call.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.