1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scariest Wild Animal You've Encountered?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by chestr, Nov 9, 2009.

Tags:
  1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I've never heard of a nutria, so I just googled it.

I really wish I hadn't.

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I've never actually seen a nutria, but this reminded me of the Insomniac show with Dave Attell where he went to New Orleans, and drove around with an animal control guy at night. This guy's job was to literally drive around all night in New Orleans, and SHOOT nutria. He had a sniper rifle and everything. Then, he said later on, a truck would come, and pick up all the dead bodies. It's just crazy that they have to actually have a guy ON PAYROLL come EVERY night, and do that.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Thats really amazing since:

[rquoter]Nutria weigh an average of 12.0 pounds (5.4 kg).[/rquoter]

http://www.nutria.com/site5.php

Stretch the truth much? :rolleyes:

4. 3d-homer

3d-homer Member

LOL, that position had to have been created by a redneck...

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Owned.

Also, that nutria link you gave makes them look kinda cuddly. I'm sure they're not, but there's really nothing horrifying looking about them. They just look like beavers or something. Possums look much scarier, IMHO.

6. juicystream

Well they are trying to paint them in the most positive light, and they do make fur coats out of them. They look like a mix between a Beaver and a Rat. This is what bothered FB:

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. chestr

chestr Member

Man I never heard of these nutria things before. First thing I thought of when I saw this picture was like a mini buffalo. I'm not the only one right?
    [​IMG]

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

One time I found myself within 10 feet of a Lion.

Then I got bored so I went to look at the monkeys.

9. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

Alligator gar. **** these guys.

[​IMG]

10. juicystream

That is a Capybara

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capybara

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Wait, Wait, Wait, Wait, Wait...

Hold on a minute...

Who let the dogs out?

12. YugoRocketsFan

I own 2 tarantulas, defenitely not scared of spiders, I havent encountered any scary animal.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I thought of another encounter with a not-so-scary animal: alligators. I saw some in the wild as a kid. I suppose they could mess someone up if they tried, but most of the time they don't bother moving.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I was mauled by a Rottweiler when I was 8. Bit a nice little chunk of flesh out of my leg, had to go to the ER and get stitched up.

Stupid ass Rottweiler.

I've came across plenty of rattlers, scorpions, and tarantulas in my day, one time I was walking through the woods and happened to almost step on a nest of tiny little rattlesnakes. I ran about 20 MPH back home.

15. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Like B-Bob, I waded around in some water where a Cottonmouth was coiled up. I wasn't afraid because I didn't know what it was... thought it was some old piece of rubber, then some little voice told me I ought to go get Dad. he freaked and then I freaked.

Still, my scariest moment was when Mrs. rimrocker and I were camping in the Maze District of Canyonlands National Park. We had a beautiful campsite on the edge of a canyon with fantastic views. After a good night's sleep, I got up and left the tent in a hunt for some bushes that would allow me privacy for my morning's squat. After finding the perfect place, I dropped my drawers, sat on my haunches, and began to push. At that moment a Jackrabbit hopped right in front of me... probably within 5 feet. It was so sudden and as I had been thinking about how you're really vulnerable to Mountain Lion attacks when you bend down, it literally scared the crap out of me. When I got back to the tent, Mrs. rimrocker told me I looked pale.

16. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

My gf snapped a few pics of one while we were at Hermann Park about 2 months back. He was just chillin in the water.

I'll go with Cottonmouth as my scariest animal encounter.

17. Cbox

Cbox Member

I wasn't scared of the animal itself, but when I was at the Dallas Japanese Botanical Gardens, a Rough Green Snake almost fell right on top of me from the trees. Considering I thought a stick or something was a live at first, it freaked me out. The snake was a good 14-15 inches though.

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

[​IMG]

19. Shovel Face

Shovel Face Member

So you almost got a wild hare up your ass?

20. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

OK, fine. I'll see if I can provide a worthy story...

On a fire in Yellowstone, camping on the banks of the Yellowstone River near the Fishing Bridge, I had a brief respite and walked down to the river. You could see scratches on the trees and what looked like Grizzly fur in the bark. I figured there was enough noise to not worry about bears, so I didn't think much of it. Started walking back to camp after a few minutes. On the way up the trail, I heard a rustling to my left. Looked over and I could see there was something big and brown about 20 feet away. I froze and after a few seconds an old bull bison crossed the trail in front of me. He gave me snort and went on his way. I stood there for a few more seconds making sure he was alone and then went back to camp. How's that for a cool story?

#60 rimrocker, Nov 9, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2009