1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CBO: Republican health plan would reduce premiums, cut deficit

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Nov 5, 2009.

1. rocket3forlife2

This dude is awsome!

Something he said made me realize- if we had term limits in congress maybe would see less gridlock in Washington.

2. langal

langal Member

I don't think deficit reduction is a measure of cost.

The CBO put the Democrat plan at over a trillion. The Republican plan would cost 61 billion.

So I guess it would cost around a trillion to insure the 17 percent that are uninsured. What does that come down to per person? I'm probably being far too simple here.

3. langal

langal Member

I just did some very simple math.

It looks like the Democrat plan would cost around 28K per person (1 trillion divided by 36 million).

That is spread over ten years so around $233 a month. These are non-elderly folks. I would *think* we could do better than $233 a month but really have no idea. How much does private insurance cost per month for an "average" person?

4. uolj

uolj Member

That doesn't make sense because we aren't paying for the plan out of our pocket. For example, a large part of it is paid for through savings elsewhere.

If you want to know how much it costs each individual you're going to have to use much more complex math than that.

5. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

It is a measure fiscal responsibility. If it's paid for we can afford the cost. I thought the beef was about reducing the deficit

6. Lobo

Lobo Member

What you mean "we" kimosabe? How much of the cost is coming out of your pocket?

7. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

When I say "we" I mean the United States. I pay my fair share of taxes.

8. langal

langal Member

I thought the concerns were cost.

To not factor in tax increases at all is a bit disengenuous don't you think?

For example, I can say I want to double defense spending and have a "plan" that does it while reducing the deficit.

9. langal

langal Member

The first line of my post says it was very simple math.

Dollar costs are dollar costs. If some politicos mention offestting "savings elsewhere", that is sort of bs when you're running a huge deficit.

I'd rather get to as much a black-and-white per benficiary dollar cost as possible and the CBO estimates of 1 trillion and 36 million beneficairies gives us a base cost of around 230 a month.

10. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Tax on who? 98% of small businesses won't pay any new tax, and couples who make less than one million a year won't pay any new tax.

This is responsible, unlike the war, which cost more, and there was no effort made to pay for it at all.

11. uolj

uolj Member

Ok, I misunderstood where you were going before. You're trying to calculate how much it costs to insure the uninsured as opposed to how much reform will cost the people of the country. $230 a month sounds cheap to me, but I'm not sure such simple math really tells us anything about the actual cost anyway so I'll just take it as an interesting musing.

12. langal

langal Member

Hey if you're for the plan, then that's fine. I'm on the fence myself so that's why I want more information.

When I hear that the Democrat plan "saves" money, I was shocked until I learned that it included tax hikes. So personally, I found it disingenuous to for some to infer that universal health care reduces the deficit. Doing so implies that there is no actual cost - when their is a cost. Whether the cost is justified is the crux of the issue.

13. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Sure, but the majority of the plan will be paid for by cutting waste out of the system.

14. Shooter3

Shooter3 Member

who pays for that? and what is an emergency gonna do for someone who needs treatment for cancer?

15. wakkoman

wakkoman Member

Please provide a link on where you saw 98% of small business wont be pay any new tax.

If you haven't realized already, just because Obama said this in his campaign a year ago,doesn't mean its happening that way.

16. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

Raise!

If we gave $100,000 a year, a house, high-quality food and therapists to everyone that has less i'm sure we could save an extra 200,000 lives a year.

17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

This was in reference to health care. I'm well aware of the difference between the general election campaign and health care.

Here is your link.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33752275/ns/meet_the_press/page/4/

It's from Meet the Press.

18. uolj

uolj Member

It seems like FranchiseBlade's link refers to the surtax on the wealthy. There are other additional potential costs to small businesses, although those also only apply to a small percentage.

From the detailed summary of the house bill:[rquoter]Small business protections. Small businesses with annual payrolls below $500,000 are exempt from requirements
    to offer or contribute to coverage, including the 8 percent payroll contribution for failure to provide health benefits
    to their workers. As a result of this exemption, 86 percent of America’s businesses are exempt from any requirement
    to provide coverage to their employees. The 8 percent requirement is phased in for small businesses with an annual
    payroll between $500,000 and $750,000. There is also a tax credit program to help low-wage small businesses offer
    coverage to their employees.[/rquoter]

By the way, what campaign promise about taxes isn't happening? 98% of working households had their taxes lowered already during the Obama administration. :)

19. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I think we also need to distinguish between providing coverage and additional taxation.

20. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Member

rep'd