1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hayes - a big surprise so far

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by smuduffy, Nov 3, 2009.

Tags:
  1. burnnotice

burnnotice Rookie

I can see conditioning. Working on his "O" as you call it could mean various things. Did they send him to a "big man" training camp? Did they bring in a veteran post player to work with him? Probably not.

He hasn't shown anything I haven't seen him do since college (in fact he still did more offensively there, shooting 3's even). He is just being more aggressive when he gets the ball and taking more shots because he is getting more touches and more playing time.

Last season, if he missed 1 or 2 shots, Adelman took him out of the game immediately, and he was wrong to do that and games were lost because of it.

I personally would like to see him take the 14-16 footer. If not that, then he should extend the range of his hook shot to 8 feet.

2. ibm

ibm Member

the only surprise from chuck this season is the couple of running layups he did. everything else... don't we know what he can do all along?

3. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Exactly. I'm not sure who/what is the cause but Chuck Hayes' offensive skills have nose-dived since his college days. I know a lot of that is simply because he went from collegiate level competition to NBA level competition but there are other factors too. I think part of it is somebody (JVG?) decided they needed to tear Chuck's offensive game apart and try to rebuild it and in doing so they screwed his confidence level and his technique. The other part is he has been conditioned since joining the league (again JVG?) to be a defender/intangibles guy only and only shoot wide open layups.

I'm not the least bit surprised he is scoring more this season. In fact, as he gets more comfortable I expect him to score more and with a wider assortment of moves.

4. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

It is interesting, because nobody besides Rockets' fans knows anything about him. All people know is that he has no offensive game, but nobody has ever heared about his D. Amazing.

They just feel like they have mismatches with him on the court. That's I'd call him our 'dark horse'.

Great Job Mr. Hayes!

5. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

I luv Hayes

I love this dude. Rockets MVP so far.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I've been loving him while the rest of you cried and moaned at JVG for starting him. Eat it.

7. Mr. Space City

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I'll admit I was pretty heavy against both Scola and Hayes in the early going.

Now Hayes is my 2nd favorite on the team. Can't say the same for Scola, but he gives it his all and that's all I can ask.

9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Hayes is the man.

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He is making his layups so we know he has been practicing.

11. dero72

dero72 Member

free-throws?

12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

The funny thing is, he used to completely suck at layups. Now, he's making these really awesome reverse layups, running layups, tough layups, etc.

He goes from the worst to the best. :p

13. LScolaDominates

Next time I'm at a game and Chuck is shooting FT's, I'm starting the "MVP" chant.

14. Mr. Space City

that's the thing.

he was always good on d but he had no O game in the JVG era. it's obvious that he worked on that this summer and is becoming a BIG contributor on the offensive side and teams are not expecting it from him.

GJ chuck :D

15. c0r0na21

c0r0na21 Member

THE GUY HAS THE MOST HEART OF ANYONE ON THE TEAM I SAW IT IN HIS FACE AGAINST THE LAKERS AFTER HE FOULED OUT HE DIDNT WANT TO LEAVE....

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He basically called a team meeting 2 years ago and we have had a gritty, tough, relentless, unselfish, contagious, persona ever since. An attitude unlike any in professional points at this current time.

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Chuck made his layups had a high rate his first couple seasons with us.

18. clos4life

clos4life Member

I <3 Chuckwagon

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Chuck is this teams Heart.

20. 1individual

1individual Member

Chuck is doing all the work under the post. He's outperformed Scola and Anderson already. If he shoots like that all season, he deserves the most improved player award.