1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Rocket for Life

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Outlier, Nov 3, 2009.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Durvasa, I never said I didn't root for him or don't love what he stands for, but retiring for any organization should be reserved for greatness. Most times it is and that's the way it should be. Being a fan favorite or underdog doesn't equal retiring as "team x" for life. I think yao will end up retiring a rocket and probably even tracy and that's cool because those guys have been the face of the organization for a while. I like shane,chuck,brooks, and the rest of the crew, but because a guy plays hard and is liked by fans, the decision has to be made about having the best basketball players.

2. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Yao, Brooks, Scola, C-Bud, and Landry... and Hayes

3. bjshot

bjshot Member

I have to pick three. Scola, Hayes and Battier. They are the true champions, winners and leaders. I'd also like to keep Rafer Alston too. Sadly he's gone. I like the players who don't own the best physical but always play hard and smart.

4. thething

thething Contributing Member

Other teams don't value Hayes the way we do. They think he's garbage. So that's good for us, meaning we can keep him. Yao also will probably stay a rocket for life just because he's so attached to here. He's been here 7 years now.

5. ibm

ibm Member

c'mon, that's way too many. pick one or 2, otherwise the core of this team won't change for a long time. :p

6. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

shane battier and chuck hayes are our two untoucheables.

never thought id say chuck hayes was untouchable Lol

7. Artestsuckskobe

The guys that are gonna make a championship possible....

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think we mean different things with "retiring a rocket". I'm not saying we should retire his jersey. I just want him to stay a Rocket his entire career because I have great admiration for how he's overcome his limitations and going undrafted.

9. acjeitherocket

cosign!!! :D

10. alex_eg6

alex_eg6 Member

Rafer Alston, Bobby Jackson, Ron Artest

11. Gascon

Gascon Member

Battier and Scola

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No one. In order to improve,you must be open to all opportunities.
    The only one player I would find hard trading is Chuck Hayes, even though he is my 3rd favorite Rocket after Yao and Luis.

13. emmanuelb

emmanuelb Member

scola and battier need to retire rockets

14. Warning-Sign

Warning-Sign Member

15. Dream Shake 81

DM, AB, CL, SB, LS, TA, RA,

16. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

why would I want the core of the team to change?

I love this team.

17. MiracleShot

MiracleShot Member

Yup they are key contributers to keeping the bench warm =]
    Mine =
    Scola : He leaves it all out on the court, we could be up by 30 or down by 30 but he is giving his 100% effort.

Morey : I hope I do not have to explain why. :p

18. thainfamouspie

thainfamouspie Contributing Member

The individual success seems to work more against your argument than in support of it. Battier is considered to be the beloved embodiment of a winner in most people's eyes not because of what he does for himself, but what he does for his teams. He TRULY sacrifices individuality for the team while still maintaining his composure, not like the BS unselfishness most players state that sounds good in the media. He was a beast in college and won it all on that level but doesn't have the talent to propel us to the top in the pros. But yet we've once again mostly enjoyed winning seasons and for the most part have a winning mentality as a team and as fans since he's been here (not saying it's solely because of him, but he definitely does his part), and a big reason is because of his leadership as a teammate, he will always do whatever it takes for a team to win games. That spirit and leadership alone qualifies him as a winner to most. Now I know what some people may say next, that no, we haven't won the title. So then you may seem to be expecting him to be a champion, which he is not yet, but a winner and a winner's mentality he definitely is/has.

19. lunaticrocket

lunaticrocket Rookie

How come there are no TMac votes?

My vote is definitely for Brooks.

20. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Ditto. First two players that came to mind.

Also have to mention Yao though - I'd be really sad if he signed with another team.