1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has this been rumored?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaFranchise, May 25, 2000.

1. DaFranchise

DaFranchise Member

Everyone talks about us trading into the top 4, but why don't we trade with Orlando for the #5 and take Darius Miles before the Bulls can get him. Miles can play the 3 or the 4, so depending on how the Cuttino Mobley situation works out this year and how the Webber or some other free agent thing works out next year, he can fit our needs. We could give up the #9 as well as Cato (possibly the twin tower that convinces Duncan to go to Orlando) and Drew(who would be a solid backup assuming Atkins leaves). We may have to take some crappy player so that they stay under the cap, like Doleac, who isn't really crappy but doesn't seem to be wanted by the Magic.

------------------

2. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

They wouldn't want Cato to soak up their abundant cap space.

Mango

------------------
    Live long and prosper.

Donate Blood!

3. Tdub

Tdub Member

I believe that Orlando is fine with the players they have. Except for the exceptions of the free agents, Tim Duncan..... I think we shouldnt try to deal Cato this year, give him chance to develope more. If he dosnt prove himself next year than we can get rid of him. For now this trade wont work.

------------------
    Roxs team of the furture.
    IM bACK!!!!

4. DaFranchise

DaFranchise Member

That was just hypothetical. What I was trying to say is are we trying to trade up to #5 or 6 to get Miles or it sounds like from his workout, Przybilla.

------------------

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Miles at the 4 sounds scary. The last I read, the guy was 6'9" and weighed about 195 lbs.

------------------
    ?

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Everybody assumes Orlando is going to reduce the number of picks they have through trades, etc. I'm not so sure. They only have 6 players under contract right now. I find it far more likely that they go after projects, like Deshawn Stephenson, Miles, or even the greek guy. Guys who can sit on the bench and learn. Guys with moderate to low prices, who have lots of value for their potential.

------------------

7. popeye

popeye Member

<heading = 3><center> The Magic of the Magic </center> </heading>

Orlando has a commited ownership and an aggressive management team that took only a year to position themselves and cut anyone with a contract that would hurt them this year.

And they did it all by NOT TANKING the season.

They developed a core of young guys and wiley veterans, then handed the reins to a young and personable coach in Doc Rivers. Then the Magic tore up the league with their underrated "losers and leftovers" .... beating some impressionable playoff-bound teams and scaring the rest. Their efforts won them the NBA Administrative GM Award, and kudos from everyone in the league.

They have six or seven returning players. The next thing is signing the core player that anchors their vets ... Bo Outlaw. They probaly will let Mercer go in a sign and trade, as they feel there are better players for the money on the FA market. (They are right,too.)

They would like to keep Doleac, but could live with a trade of him if it came to that. They have "promised" a couple others that they will look seriousily at resigning or finding a comfortable spot elsewhere for them.

They are presently about $18 Million under the cap (and like most teams, they can still use two existing exemptions of $2.25M and $1M if or when they go over the cap).

They have piqued the interest of the likes of Duncan, McGrady and Grant to relocate to Orlando,Florida and guess what ..... they can presently afford to sign two of those guys outright ..... right now .... without breaking a sweat (or a cap restriction).

They have three well seeded first round 2000 Draft Picks (#'s 5,10,13),and two of those they say they are willing to trade off, to get a couple of other FA players they are interested in or to settle future obligations. (Denver has said repeatedly that they do not want a Magic first rounder this year. Look for them to maybe get Mercer back in a sign and trade. Now that would be ironic.)

I would say, Orlando is destined to break into the bigtime this year and open up a couple of years of playoff perennial appearances. Personally, they are ready to ber THE BIG THREAT in the East.

Miles is not on their fine scope, but one of many they are looking at, and realistically, they could afford to have him languish, learn, practice, spot play and come along at a slower pace than some of the teams that are super interested in him.

A "surprise" draft day play at swapping two, if not all, of their picks is not out of the question for the Magic. And, Houston is right there in the hunt. They may even be one of the teams that are closest in agreement to swapping for Orlando's number five.

Cheers. [​IMG]

8. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

popeye,

Orlando isn't currently $18M under the cap. Here's a good article that goes into detail on their cap situation. It goes on to say that Orlando can get to $17.7M under the cap if they renounce all of their free agents. That's not going to happen.
    http://www.sportstalk.com/nba/rumors/rumortalk/

------------------

9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I saw Garnett at the McDonalds game in St. Louis. He was listed at 6'10" but it was common knowledge that he had grown to 6'11" by that point. He was clearly taller than the 6'8" that Robert Traylor was. I.E. he was positioned to be andw was marketed as a college center in the Ralph Sampson mold. Miles would be a PF or SF. He's much more comparable to McGrady than a potential center type like Garnett.

------------------

10. DaFranchise

DaFranchise Member

Garnett doesn't play center, he plays the 4, just like I was saying Miles can.

------------------

11. hoopjunkie

hoopjunkie Member

I think Ottomaton said center potential.

Garnett COULD easily play the Center position(isn't he like 7'2"),
    a position I believe he may eventually slide to once he ages and
    loses some of his quicks. I agree though, Miles looks more like
    a potential 3/4 as opposed to Garnett a potential 3/4/5.

------------------
    - hoopjunkie

"when you come in da HOOD... things change."

12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

popeye-is that an article somehwere?

That's a nice tidbit. But, are we looking to get Miles at 5? I'd prefer to trade to 5, then somehow move to 3.....3 way trade, with Orlando, and LAC? Cause at 5, the likely pick would be Miles.....any idea on who we'd be trading away?

As HP put it, Speculation is the Devil.

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

ShoeVendinStrad,

I agree with ya, but I think people are forgetting how difficult it is to move from #9 to #3. It's not easy. You'll definitely be giving up quite a bit, and even then you're not guaranteed of getting Kenyon or Stomile at the #3 position.

But then I've seen the Rockets organization pull off some incredible trades in the past, so why should this year be any different? [​IMG]

------------------
    ?

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And another thing Popeye the Devil:

The mid-level and minimum exceptions you mention also count against the cap. See FAQ #13. So, add another $3.25m to Aelliott's article.

NIKEstrad, I'm only here to support the our divine apostle Aelliott. Do not try to corrupt with me with your temptations.

15. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

hp-not if they maneuvered right. They could use up their cap space, THEN use the exceptions (going over the cap with them).

DoD-from the way it looks, with NJ seemingly set with KMart, and VAN grasping for Swift, a move to the top 3 would in fact be pointless, as Fizer and Mihm are not worth trading up significantly for, IMO. Miles would be interesting, but I think people are overrating him, in his quality/skill (KG comparisons? HAH!) as he's not even the clear cut #1 HS player (some say Stevenson, some say Wallace, some say Griffin, some say him). I'm interested in him, but for a price that's not too high. (Note: I see little to no chance in him being at #9) I'm REALLY interested in Moiso, at #9. A 6'10'' PF, with an outside shot, sick athleticism, and potential through the roof. He's more apt to become Garnett than Miles is. He'd be a dream fit for this team.

one more thing hp-I shall corrupt you before you get to your magical 2000. There is no way around it. Forget your bowing to your aelliot. Bow to the Francis Fortuneteller: popeye

------------------

[This message has been edited by NIKEstrad (edited May 25, 2000).]

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

NIKE,

sorry that is not true. Those exceptions count as salary before free agency begins, until they are used, at which time they become real salary. Do you want me to explain this further?

you seduce us with false loop-holes to lure us further into the traps of groundless speculation.<font color="dedfdf">

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited May 26, 2000).]

17. DaFranchise

DaFranchise Member

Garnett was a skinny 6-9 when he came out, similar to Miles. Whether Miles grows or not, his ability to rebound and block shots, coupled with his quickness, will actually give him an advantage at the 4 spot.

------------------

18. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

I've been capologized!!!! [​IMG]

------------------