1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

$65 million extension for LaMarcus A.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Precision340

Precision340 Member

the blazers are going to be really good in the years to come.. thank goodness they didn't get turkoglu.. that team would've been sickening!!

2. FFz

FFz Member

I'd still take Scola over him.

3. thething

thething Contributing Member

They overpaid for him. Why didn't they wait until he'd be a restricted free agent? He wouldn't get that much on the market, and they would get him at a lower price.

4. Lovemachine2000

I agree with much of your analysis (with slightly toned-down optimism), but the bolded statement is just baseless. At his best, LA will develop his post game better and model after Jermaine O'Neal's game in his prime. Defensive stopper and shot-blocking stalwart? Even Amare has a better chance than Aldridge in these potentials.

5. Lovemachine2000

As much as I love Scola, I'd take Aldridge for the Rockets in a heartbeat. If we are in the Win-It-Now mode, maybe I'd give it a thought, but since we are rebuilding, LA is younger and has a much higher ceiling.

6. Asian Sensation

Amare a better defensive stopper and shot-blocker than LA? Erroneous. Aldridge is entering his 4th year and Amare is entering his 8th year and his defense has always been non-existent to mediocore at best while LA has steadily improved each year.

If LA can model any facet of his game after Jermaine O'neal in his prime that would move LA into an elite status. J O'neal in his prime was getting MVP considerations.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

He is worth every penny......he is a budding star PF...with Range....a go to guy......

He will be getting an even bigger contract when that one expires.

DD

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Since you watch the Blazers more than I do, question for you: How do you think LA will adjust if Oden really develops this year? It's stupid none of the Blazers preseason games were on TV, but from the stats and written descriptions of his play, he seems to be a new player. If Oden is assertive and the Blazers make him the focus of offensive possessions on a part-time basis, I think this could be disruptive to both LA and Brandon Roy. I know McMillan recently met with both guys and said the offense will revert to back form and run through them. But I think the Blazers are going to have a rough time adjusting to Andre Miller and Oden. It's almost like having two new players. The early part of the season will have some bumps for the Blazers as they assimilate the increased talent level. Miller is so much better than Blake it isn't even funny. How they won 54 games last season with a Blake/Sergio rotation at PG is amazing.

9. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

A possible problem developing is that Miller likes to be in charge of distributing the ball, and Roy likes to play with the ball in his hands. In the preseason, Roy did a lot of standing around and Miller did a lot of shooting. With Blake, he knew when to give the ball to Roy and just spot up for the 3.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Stuff like that is why I think the Blazers might have a rough time the first couple of months. It should get worked out over the course of the season. In the playoffs, they need a PG that will put pressure on the opposing defense. Blake just isn't good enough.

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Just to add, I've been telling people that u pay for potential with production. LA is in the rasheed mold which is a good thing considering oden will be a around the basket type of big and roy can do everything. He spreads the floor and he can also post when he puts his mind to it or wants to. The guy will be 29 when the deal is up and has gotten better every yr. Not only that he's low maintenance and doesn't seem to get into trouble. Like u said, good move.

12. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

6'10" guys with moderate skills get paid, look at how much Okafor got. If anything Blazer got a good deal. If you don't think he's worth it, who do you think Blazers can replace him with the same contract?

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Agree. Still If I were Pritchard I'd have found some way to trade LMA for either Griffin, Horford, AL Jefferson, Anthony Randolph, or even Jeff Green if they want someone to play off of Oden. I watched a lot of Blazer games and he reminds me a lot of a young Juwon Howard. He's gonna be one of the top pfs once the old guys are gone, but something tells me he'll be in the lower end of the spectrum in that area.

14. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Perhaps there are better options for Blazers, but Griffin is a max player once his rookie contract is over. AL Jefferson is untouchable in Minnesota. Anthony Randolph and Jeff Green are (imo) not in LMA's class in terms of talent but you can bet they'll still get a $50 - $60M contract. I'm not saying there's no other route for Blazers to go, but that I find the idea of $65M for LMA overpaid laughable.

15. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

LAMarcus Alridge is too soft...doesn't use his length or athleticism to dunk and bully his way into the paint. Prefers jumpers way too much for a big man. If he develops into a Boozer like PF I guess his contract will be worth it...but..it's already his 4th year and I dont see him improving a lot.

16. JordanL

JordanL Member

Errr... I'm not going to troll this post but... good luck with that.

17. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Jerryd Bayless, as well

18. lalala902102001

LA did get a little stronger this offseason -- not sure if that will translate to his game but he added some muscle.

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Name me a better big man in this league that is getting paid less than what LA is going to get paid.

20. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Al Jefferson