1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Louisiana Judge rejects inter-racial marriage

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Major, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Shovel Face

Shovel Face Member

You don't get a dating license.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That wasn't the question I asked.

3. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

4. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Not all that long ago, it was considered very taboo to marry outside of your race. In some families it still is.

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

6. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Not in any way that should matter. Marrying generally leads to sex and breeding, wanting to have offspring that look like you sounds like a biological instinct. But if one got in the habit of saying it over and over in public and out of context, which isn't the case here, I would wonder if they were trying to justify some other racist behavior: like when George Wallace went a BBC interview, was asked why he supported segregation and said he hated interracial breeding.

8. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

I feel so stupid that I ever even believed in the "race" concept in the first place.

Race in the context it is used is very credulous.

9. BetterThanEver

My sister(asian) married a white guy. I love my nephew and he is well loved by his white and asian relatives.

It's horrible that the Justice of the Peace doesn't think my nephew should have been born, because his parents are different races. If he's worried about the children, there are more important questions to ask, like their drug use or criminal history. It's a shame that he'll ask about their race, but not if they are a crack addict.

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Gov. Jindal calls for the firing of the Justice who denied the marriage permit.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/10/16/louisiana.interracial.marriage/

Governor calls for firing of justice in interracial marriage case

HAMMOND, Louisiana (CNN) -- The actions of a justice of the peace in Louisiana who refused to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple have prompted some top officials, including Gov. Bobby Jindal, to call for his dismissal.

Jindal said the state judiciary committee should review the incident in which Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace for Tangipahoa Parish's 8th Ward, refused to issue a marriage license to Beth Humphrey, 30, and her boyfriend, Terence McKay, 32, both of Hammond.

"This is a clear violation of constitutional rights and federal and state law. ... Disciplinary action should be taken immediately -- including the revoking of his license," the Republican governor said.

Sen. Mary L. Landrieu, D-Louisiana, said the committee should "use its authority to have Justice Bardwell dismissed from his position."

"Not only does [Bardwell's] decision directly contradict Supreme Court rulings, it is an example of the ugly bigotry that divided our country for too long," she said. Watch Terence McKay react to the denial of a marriage license ยป

Bardwell has not returned repeated calls from CNN this week.

However, Bardwell told Hammond's Daily Star in a story published Thursday that he was concerned for the children who might be born of the relationship and that, in his experience, most interracial marriages don't last.

"I'm not a racist," Bardwell told the newspaper. "I do ceremonies for black couples right here in my house. My main concern is for the children."

Bardwell, stressing that he couldn't personally endorse the marriage, said his wife referred the couple to another justice of the peace.

The bride says the case boils down to discrimination.

Humphrey said on Thursday that she called Bardwell on October 6 to ask about getting a marriage license, and was asked by his wife whether it would be an interracial marriage. Humphrey said she was told that Bardwell does not sign off on interracial marriages.

She said the couple, who received their marriage license October 9 from another justice of the peace in the same parish, have reached out to an attorney to determine their next step.

"We would like him to resign," she said. "He doesn't believe he's being racist, but it is racist."

Patricia Morris, president of the NAACP branch of Tangipahoa Parish said her NAACP chapter has forwarded the case to the state and national levels of the civil rights group.

"He's an elected public official and one of his duties is to marry people. He doesn't have the right to say he doesn't believe in it," Morris said Thursday. "If he doesn't do what his position calls for him to do, he should resign from that position."

According to the Census Bureau, Tangipahoa Parish is about 70 percent white and 30 percent black.

The U.S. Supreme Court tossed out any racially based limitations on marriage in the landmark 1967 Loving v. Virginia case. In the unanimous decision, the court said that "Under our Constitution, the freedom to marry, or not marry, a person of another race resides with the individual and cannot be infringed by the state."

11. joliver325

joliver325 Member

I'm used to dating inside my race w/ a certain culture b/c of shared ideas and philosophies that tend to line up more. But I would date outside of my race if she was well worth it.

To be honest I dont really get why people wouldnt date outside of their race if their is a genuine attraction and likeness with another person. To me you hinder yourself saying I only date black or white. Why then?

I'm attracted to females, white and black really shouldnt make a difference b/c some girls look more of the other race than the one they identify with. So whats the real reason

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Afraid of what others might think, including family. I think white and black still has a stigma attached to it for many people. White woman + black guy = slut. At least that seemed to be what people thought in HS, and I know many families including some non-immediate relatives of mine that would have considered it unacceptable. Oriental and White, has less of a stigma attached, unless the girl is a FOB.

13. joliver325

joliver325 Member

I can understand that, but if you can let outside people dictate your relationship, then it doesnt matter who you get with that problem will still persist. You may get with someone they approve and as soon as something happens they'll be doing the same thing. We cant other people's inhibitions dictate our lives

14. amaru

amaru Member

"Race" is largely based on how a person looks (their phenotype) and self-identification.

In alot of cases, it ignores large portions of a person's ethnicity by placing them (willingly or forcibly) into a particular "racial category"

Example:

I have a cousin who is of Venezulan, Chinese, Amerindian, Indian, European, and African descent.....but when he came up to the U.S. he was considered "black" because:

1) He is about the complexion of Shane Battier

2) He has a West Indian accent.

That is how our "wonderful" "racial" system works!!! :rolleyes:

15. amaru

amaru Member

Funny.........I thought that I was attracted to women of African descent (recent) because I find women with darker skin (or skin close to my own) attractive.

Didn't know I was somehow saying that "black women" are unattractive :rolleyes:

16. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

17. BetterThanEver

Another one bites the dust.

18. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

A step in the right direction.

19. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

I have been called some nice curse words like #&*$^^# Pastor for performing interracial marriage ceremonies.

I have a problem right now with a young lady's father I am supposed to perform her ceremony next year but her father knows there are 'blacks' in our church and he has blown a fuse.

racism=hate