1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] McGrady practices with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by llRainmanll, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

That's true. After lifting weights your arms get tired and it is gonna affect your shot. But in shooting, legs are the most important part of body. Period.

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Actually at 6'4 and 205 in college, I played a lot in the post. I remember trying to post lorenzo charles when he played for a club team and he was laughing. At that time,91, he was about 6'10 260, but I sat on his knees and by the time he knew it, he was in no position to blk my baby hook :D.

Back to the point, when we used to train, our trainer used to make us max out. As a freshman, I maxed out at 240 or so on the bench and like 375 on squats. So in the program it was a percentage of the bench in which we repped and the same with squats. Off of that, we did power cleans, lats, weighted chin ups,medicine ball everything but not all at once. We would do bench,curls,lats, and pull ups one day and the next would be squats,power cleans,leg curls and lower body workouts. I can tell you, it was harder to find my range after the lower body workout than when doing the upper body stuff. Snake, Charles Austin, the former high jump record holder is a guy I used to really stretch out with. Once I stretched really well after doing the upper body stuff, it would only take about 10 mins or so to get my range. Now, again, if u want to be a body builder and lift the gym and go and hoop, its probably not going to work out for you. Even if u compare the upper body and arms from a physical freak like LBJ to one of those lb's like ray lewis or even one of those backs like thomas jones, its different. The way the muscle is knotted up is even different.

Wekko keeps talking liftin effecting your shot and I disagree, but if your trying to win Mr. Universe, then it will take a little longer to get your range.

3. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Like I said, if you're only doing a few sets of flat bench (which was the only chest exercise you mentioned), you're shot wont altered to the degree it would be if you were doing a few sets of flat bench, few sets of incline, few sets of flys, and a few sets of decline.

These "Mr.Universe" and "Shwarzenegger" allusions are annoying. My regimen is very standard. You may think that it goes above and beyond, but the truth is that your workout may be lacking.

4. leebigez

The truth of it is I lift for maintenance and to stay is some kind of shape, but when I played college ball it was about strength and maintenance. I know the time from my fish yr to my senior yr was different. I went from benching 240lbs and squating 300+ to benching over 300 and squating over 400lbs and still had great flexibility,power and endurance. You don't body build to hoop nor is it needed especially when playing at the Y as you're doing. I'm still strong enough to play inside when I want to and still felxible enough in my motion. Now if u want to do more and win a contest, that's u, but I was a basketball player first, not a weight lifter.

5. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

the primary argument is so lost right now.

so we finally agree that arm strength plays a minor role in terms of shooting.

6. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I'm not talking about bodybuilding. I'm not talking about lifting weights to become a better basketball player. I'm talking about the muscle fatigue that weight lifting causes. You may not have experienced this fatigue b/c your workouts sound like they were limited to one exercise per muscle group, and you're aware of this. That's why you keep trying to use the defense that my regimen isnt conducive to good basketball physique, which is entirely irrelevant.

But that's not what this tangent is about. After seeing that your regimen was much different than mine, all you should've said was "It looks like my workout routine isn't as involved as yours. As such, I may not have experienced the degree of muscle fatigue you're talking about."

That sounds better than making irrelevant excuses, doesn't it?

7. wekko368

wekko368 Member

The primary argument usually gets lost when arguing with you b/c you try to discredit the smaller points that aren't entirely integral to the primary argument. And as you keep trying to discredit these smaller points, various tangents emerge.

Arm strength may play a minor role in terms of shooting, but when the muscles in your arms are fatigued, your shot will be affected.

8. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i was talking about arm strength's importance in terms of just shooting period (my first post in regards to this point). then you tried to be technical. take your own advice.

you're the king of taking bits and pieces of an argument and just go crazy with them.

9. leebigez

wekko, i'm just saying u do work more than a couple muscle groups. I can't remember everything we used to do because that was 90-95. I jsu listed the more common workout. I've read numerous times about "breakfast club" jordan and pippen used lift before games and practice. Now the intensity of them are different.

10. tresimecgredi

tresimecgredi Member

Wasn't this a "McGrady practices with Rockets" thread? :p
    By the way it's really funny to read all these posts about muscles and jump shooting...

11. Red Blue Blur

Red Blue Blur Member

Exactly hahahaa. Didn't know the GARM turned into bodybuilding.com :D

12. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

It's better than 'Does mCgrady suck and why' thread. Imo

13. Red Blue Blur

Red Blue Blur Member

True that. But i think you probably mean it's more like "McGrady sucks/is lazy/let's trade him" with the posters in the GARM. They've already determined he sucks and is the root of all evil

14. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Although I stop trying to be tinman's mortal enemy on this board a long time ago.

You'll find out that he's actually a superb poster with a lot of knowledge in sports in general.

He has his moment's when he gets caught in his McGrady rants but overall one of the best posters on the Cfans. Not that your not a great poster TheBlackKnight, you definitely do your homework and you know how to write.

I just think you should try to avoid beef so your account doesn't get banned again. I learned my lesson. I believe I joined in 2007 as Tmac-is-Numero1 but got banned after 500 posts for trying to rumble with the heavyweights.

Just my 2 cents.

15. mjharleem22

mjharleem22 Member

u can get banned for trying to prove your point?

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

There are a couple of threads in Feedback that discuss the subject. Easy way? Click on (ironically called the same thing) Feedback in one of your posts in the upper right side, if you can see it. It'll give your number. The kosher way is to click on your moniker. That shows your profile. At the top is something called "cp." CP will show you your number and the most recent times you were repped. You can find out what you were repped for. Hope that helps.

17. AKRocketsFan

AKRocketsFan Member

Trade? He's not going nowhere unless we get an offer we can't refuse. And depending on how good he does this year and what kind of paycut he'll accept.

Basically Tracy's trying to retire a Rocket believe that! Hopefully He will. I don't think he wants to end his career with a bottom dweller. And theres not many with his skills. Name someone we can get with his skill set. Thats some we can get not your homer wish list, but for real who can we get with.

McGrady is not a problem, but can be a solution. Who here thinks we couldn't of used McGrady in that Lakers series.

It sickens me that people actually had more loyalty to RON RON. He's the biggest floater he loves anyone who shows him love. Last year Rockets this Year Lakers before that Sacramento.

He's Like a puppy he just wants attention always. Really what did he do for us? The most inconsistent chucker in the league. D overrated!

Well Just stop bashing Tracy he's a Rocket. He's a baller and he's carried us many of time with crap teams and everyone knows it.

Stop hating! :mad:

Rocket fan For Life! :D

18. mjharleem22

mjharleem22 Member

can u supply us with a source with this information?

19. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Someone called maintenance :D

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think arm strength is more important for rebounding.

I think you maybe talking about overall shape. If you are out of shape at all, you get fatigued.

tons of skinny dudes jack up plenty of shots in the nba.