1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most Overrated Rocket?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by True Rocket, Oct 9, 2009.

?

Who?

1. Aaron Brooks

37 vote(s)
    12.2%
  2. Shane Battier

57 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Luis Scola

5 vote(s)
    1.6%
  4. Chuck Hayes

20 vote(s)
    6.6%
  5. Carl Landry

15 vote(s)
    4.9%
  6. Chase Budinger

17 vote(s)
    5.6%
  7. David Andersen

21 vote(s)
    6.9%
  8. Kyle Lowry

15 vote(s)
    4.9%
  9. Jermain Taylor

42 vote(s)
    13.8%
  10. Other(NOT T-Mac or Yao

75 vote(s)
    24.7%
  1. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

He averaged almost 13 and 9 last year while making a little over 3 million as the third option on most nights. I'd call that still a pretty darn good value regardless of when the contract was signed. He will be asked to score more this year and assuming he does it, will be a good value yet again. My point is a player can't be overated and a good value.

2. thcdrummer007

thcdrummer007 Member

Ariza for sure. And defenSe has an "S" in it...

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Two separate things. You're assuming how much he's currently getting paid corresponds to how highly people currently rate him. No so.

Scola is a good value, because his salary (set 2 years ago) is low. But no one on this board, nor the current market, would rate him as a 3-million dollar player right now.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Every player is overrated by some people. So we have to look at who gets the most people to overrate him.

Battier used to be underrated. Now everybody knows he was underrated. So his underrated-ness is overrated now.

I don't think Scola is overrated. Most people who appreciate Scola believe that he does more with less. Same with Hayes.

Ariza is not generally overrated. He is overhyped because of the fact that he is supposed to replace Artest (who coincidentally was grossly overrated when he came last year).

I think Landry and Brooks are probably most overrated here on this board. They both have an "exciting" offensive game but both are overlooked in their great weakness on defense. And their offense while exciting might not be as effective as we think. I picked Landry because his poor defense is even more overlooked than Brooks'.

5. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Agreed- hurt all the time you could not get a bag of Doritos for him

6. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

Tracy Mcgrady....oh wait. On a serious note I"ll go with Shane people act like he's an all star and I guess that's why people on here think we can get an all star type player for him. He's plays hard every time he's on the floor and I respect that, but as a over all player he's ok.

7. gotsis

gotsis Member

I exagerrated to make a point........he is overrated around here (clutchfans).

and again i like battier, its just strange when you see people arguing that hes better tahn iguodala ect...

8. josh123

josh123 Member

AGREED

9. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

You can't really blame him for that. He has been pretty consistant for us. I love Shane he is a great piece for a championships team and he is a legit starter in this L.

But this board loves to overrate him though.

10. diegot143

diegot143 Member

how can he be over rated. No one has said anything good about his defense, which is acceptable. Ppl say that he is good offensively and only goes to his right which is what he does. Ppl say he hustles and is a winner, which he is, ask his gold and bronze metal and multiple mvp's. Any body who hates on scola is just a hater, cant appreciate that he gets the love that he does.

11. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Aaron Brooks.

People like to look at the box score and rave about how many points he scored, but they fail to mention how badly he runs the offense and how poor his defense is.

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Yeah, he really ran a poor offense in that lakers series :rolleyes:

Anyway, how is anyone saying anything other than TREVOR ARIZA. People are acting like he will be our next go-to-guy when he has never proven he can score even 9 ppg. He is a role player, nothing more and most people are making him out to be a star.

13. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Oh I forgot, did we win that series? :rolleyes:

If if makes you happy to say that Brooks can run an offense b/c we won a few games against the Lakers, go right ahead. When the shots are falling everything looks pretty. When the shots don't fall, that's the real test. Can he still keep his head in the game mentally to run the offense? Brooks has shown that he is very inconsistent, and the only reason he is the starter is b/c we need the offense b/c of our injuries.

Why don't you mention the blow-out losses we had against the Lakers instead of just the wins.

14. sw847

sw847 Member

lol yeah i found that pretty funny too when the guy said shane is better than Iggy in the Big Z trade thread. I agree with you that some fans around here hold shane to be too important for the team. But I don't feel shane is the most overrated player around here. You get your hardcore francis fans, wafer, dorsey....those guys are overrated.

15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

He was the starter because of what injury? The guy shot 45% from the field and 42% from 3 in the playoffs. he stepped into the role that was needed of him at the time. Yeah, I'm sure our loses to the Lakers had more to do with AB's lack of ability to "run the offense" than the Rockets lack of talent :rolleyes:

btw, what is "running an offense to you." Who has "run the offense" better than Brooks in the past 5 seasons for this team?

16. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think it's two seperate things. Fans may overrate anyone. The best player in the league can be overrated by saying he's better than this legend or that legend. I get that, but in my mind (which can be a scary place) you have to look at the value of a guys contract as to whether or not he's overrated.

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Crappy thread...Rocket fan...

18. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

The fact that he plays in the NBA makes him by default the most overrated Rocket.

:cool:

19. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Every player not named McGrady, Yao, Battier, and Scola.. How about that. Chase is sooooo overrated and he hasn't even played a single NBA game when it counts.

IMO this board will overrate any player that has 1 good game.

20. chosans

chosans Member

I've only seen the Spurs game so far, but it seems like the hype Andersen received on this board when the Rockets signed him was ridiculous. All I've seen so far is a tall, slow, jump shooter who can't contribute anything when his shot isn't falling. The Rockets already had Brian Cook for that role. ;)

Other than that, Battier is pretty overrated. I like the guy, but he just doesn't contribute enough offensively and is just going to get older and slower from here on out. The Rockets should try to package him for a star while his value is still high. It would be different if he were used to score a bit more in the post but all he does is camp in the corners. His hook shot in the lane is so effective I'm not sure why they don't call that play more often.