1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you give a standing ovation for Stockton?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by durvasa, Sep 5, 2009.

?

Would you give Stockton an ovation in his last game?

1. Hell no!

179 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. Of course. Great player, great career.

160 vote(s)
    42.1%
  3. Eh, maybe if people around me were doing it.

41 vote(s)
    10.8%
  1. Francis 4 ever

Mad respect for one of the GOAT's. Would you applaud jordan? of course.

2. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Hate Utah. Hate the Jazz. Hate Sloan. Hate Malone. Hate Hornacek. Hate Stockton.

As a Rockets fan, I hate all of them. But it would be intellectually dishonest of me to say that in part, my hatred of them has made me an even stronger Rockets fan. So yes, I'd give him the ovation. He deserved it.

1 person likes this.
  3. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

I would not cheer. But I'd give a standing golf clap.

Respect for the game.

4. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

why dont you pan out the picture and see karl hauling drexler away from the play?

5. fmp087

fmp087 Member

Man, I hate Stockton and the Jazz (especially Malone). But we won 2 championships and he won zero, for me, that is good enough even though he hit that three in 97.

6. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

I am a massive Don Shockman fan.

Oh wait, who are we talking about again?

7. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Give credit where credit is due. He was a great player but sad to say he really gave it to the Rockets. :mad:

8. Aggiester

Aggiester Member

He will always be remembered for his short shorts. lol

9. mischievous

mischievous Member

I'm a basketball fan, period. I have to respect him, and how many other six foot players were asked to set picks on forwards and centers, like Stockton was? Maybe he crossed the line once in a while, but he was tough as hell and the purest point ever. I'd take him over every point of his era but Magic. And that includes Isiah, KJ, Tim Hardaway, Mark Price. He played hard every night and almost never got hurt. Plus I just caught one of his old games on NBATV the other day where he had 28 assists and could've had a couple more at least. The man could play.

10. van chief

van chief Member

I think maybe I would, if he was on his way to a firing squad.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I challenge anyone to listen to that HOF speech and come away from it still disliking John Stockton.

Can't figure out how to embed it, though.

#71 durvasa, Sep 23, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Is this it?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OxJcBjxV-jY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OxJcBjxV-jY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KCsABLjM6EI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KCsABLjM6EI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DD

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yes, thanks. I was trying to embed directly from nba.com.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

A rookie mistake...but you are forgiven.

;)

DD

15. TheBigAristotle

Hell nah *****. I don't play that ****.

16. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Yes, I would. One of the greatest point guards of all time. Regardless of his time on Utah.

17. showtang043

showtang043 Member

Look that speech, his actions off the court, hes a humble modest man it seems and as much as I am a rockets fan, I love the game, and I respect the game. So I may not 'like him' bc of that shot, but I respect his work ethic and humility, and would definitely give him a long standing ovation as one of the games best pgs, coachable, hard working(yes he had to do the cheap stuff for sloan) and played on both sides of the court, its sad steve nash got 2 mvps for doing only what stockton did on one side of the court...but this guy deserved more props

but it was a pleasure and I hope rockets can land a pg like him one day. It's unfortunate for people who would ruin his last check out of his last game after his contributions to the game and the way he handled himself is something we should teach current bball players and future generations who just ooze for attention and showboating

18. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Dirty player. Regardless of how hard he worked, he didnt play the right way. Thats what irks me, had he played the RIGHT way, he might have not even been in Utah. Then he would have been a HOF without the asterisks and other "baggage" that comes from playing under Sloan. He CHOSE to do things Sloan's way, even though he didn't have to. Some guys fighting for a job may have had to, but not Stockton.

So no standing O.

I might have snickeringly cheered at his last game since he was "going away" though.

19. solid

solid Contributing Member

Absolutely! Great player; it is a game.

20. cson

cson Contributing Member

I am a Rockets Fan. I would only applaud Stockton as he approches the gates of Hell.