1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can You Be a Fan of a School's Team If You Didn't Attend That School?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, Sep 21, 2009.

?

Is it right to root for a school you didn't actually attend?

1. yes

70.4%
  2. no

29.6%
  1. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

everyone has a connection to public schools through their tax dollars

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

sincerely,

we're all related....IN GOD'S WAY!!!!!!

3. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

I am a Houston student and a Houston fan first and foremost.

But I would also consider myself a fan of Texas, Notre Dame, any school Mike Leach coaches at, and North Texas.

I'm a former North Texas student -- that counts for something. And I have family at both Texas and Texas A&M. Connections help. My dad went to Penn State.

But look at it from a professional point of view. I was an Oilers fan when I was here. They left; I'm an Eagles fan now.

I have never lived in Philadelphia. But my dad has. And he's a big Eagles fan.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

you didn't see jesus rooting for the university of bethlehem, did you? he was a nazareth tech guy all the way.

5. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I said that same thing earlier in the thread. :)

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'm glad you pointed this out. most biblical scholars agree with your reading of this.

7. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

It's "ghey" that what team I like to root for (and have rooted for, for years) is such a big deal to some people. I said it earlier but this idea that you can't root for a college/university that you didn't go to is absolute garbage and rubbish.

8. The Drake

The Drake Member

I could see it being garbage.

I could also see it being rubbish.

But garbage AND rubbish? You've crossed a line.

9. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I had to say BOTH for emphasis and effect!

10. fmp087

fmp087 Member

If the Longhorns sucked most people from other schools wouldn't root for them.

11. TheBigAristotle

I could also see it being DEEZ NUTZ YOU BE SWANGAN ON!

12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

me and my brother are the same way! both went to baylor but root for both schools. even though it would put Baylor on the map to beat UT in football, i wouldn't want that cuz UT is always in the hunt for a championship

honestly i used to also root for A&M growing up but the Baylor-A&M rivalry makes me root against them now..

last time I checked, their uniforms say TEXAS..don't see what the big deal is

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Sorry about the back to back post but this doesn't really make sense. Why didn't I root for Nebraska, FSU, Miami or the other power houses that won big while I was a teen ? I followed Texas because I live in TX. Yes..Texas being the second most winning program in college football history (total wins) somehow guided me to be a big fan but that wasn't the only reason.

Most ppl start watching college fb before they pick a college to attend.

I could see why you could hate Texas if you choose to attend A&M, but that's pretty much where it ends since Texas' other main rivalry game is against OU.