1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If a poster airs their dirty laundry online...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by macalu, Sep 22, 2009.

?

Is it ok to bring up personal threads in real life conversation?

1. Yes

44 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

do you think it is appropriate to bring up the topic if you ever meet that person in real life? There have been countless Cfans meetups and get-togethers. When you meet that person, don't you ever get the itch to ask them about a particular thread where they talked about the SO cheating, that time they got a DUI, or wallowing in their own fart?

Since they've made their private life public, is it fair game? Or is it an written rule that what you see online, stays online?

2. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

3. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

more than fair game

4. TheBigAristotle

Course it's fair game. They don't have to give you detailed answers, but if they post it then yeah it's fair to talk about.

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Anything you say, can and will be used against you

7. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

Ask away. If they're ashamed about it, they'll tell you they don't want to talk about it.

8. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It is always fair. Mazyar must suffer the consequences of his actions. Chow_yun_fat is stuck with Vivi. Just the facts of life.

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I don't really talk about private things on *this* forum but that's mostly because I assume most of us are from Houston so the odds of running into each other are not unheard of. I don't want to meet up with someone and forget that I talked about personal stuff online and have it brought up.

At this point I probably wouldn't want to meet a lot of people I interact with here simply because I believe if their real life personality is anything like their online personality I would probably end up beating them senseless. I'm sure people feel that way about me as well.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't think anyone on here is as brash as their online personality. The internet is just a weird creature....I would be happy to meet any clutch fan and have a beer with them.

DD

12. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

of course its fair game

the things i say on this forum i am perfectly fine talking about with others i meet up with. i think most others would say if that they post it here they are comfortable talking about it elsewhere (unless you're talking about Lady_Di's halloween pic)

now if something is said to you at a meet up from a poster and then you inquire about it on the forum that would be jacked up.

13. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I think it's dependent on each individual situation. This is still a person that is a friend, even if it's just an online friend/acquaintance.

I wouldn't blurt out embarrassing stuff about my 'real life' friends, so why would it be okay to blurt out embarrassing stuff about people I met online?

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

It depends.

On one hand, if you post it here, it’s fair game.

But on the other hand, if a poster once started a thread about a traumatic event in his/her life, what kind of an a-hole would go up to him at a function and say “Hi, I’m ima from clutchfans. Remember when you posted that thread about…” If it was something traumatic, I don’t see the point in twisting the knife any further just because you meet in person and you’re curious. A lot of people here post personal stuff just so they can get an unbiased perspective, which can often be totally impossible in real life.

Also, if I’m at some Clutchfans Rockets viewing party, I’m certainly not going to hold a petty online argument from 3 years ago (or 3 minutes ago) against that person when I meet them in real life. Most people here are probably nothing like their bbs personas in real life.

15. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

same here. Except for macalu. I would like to leave in one piece. :cool:

DA, I think the time has come to once again offer another free video game to the winner of a random Rockets trivia question.

16. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Exactly.

17. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

I almost got punched when I was at a CF gathering and was introduced to a BBSer's significant other. Asking her how she liked being back with this loser after the thadeus? Well, we all know the answer to that one.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I wouldn't use swear words around you, I would be afraid you'd get mad or something.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Heeyy ummmm, would you mind hooking me up with the chick who broke up with you, she seems pretty hot from your description

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Perfect answer. Tried to rep, but need to spread it first.