1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cecil Cooper Fired

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by raw10628, Sep 21, 2009.

1. TheBigAristotle

Drayton and Ed Wade should both lose their jobs before Cooper.

2. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Managerial Candidates...

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/...t_id=7082278&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

One person who's already expressed an interest for the job is Brewers bench coach Willie Randolph, who said he would listen if the Astros called. The former Mets manager was a finalist for the Milwaukee managerial job that went to Ken Macha last fall.

Randolph interviewed with Wade for the Phillies' managerial job that went to Larry Bowa in 2000. He led the Mets a National League East title before being let go midway through last year.

"I think everybody knows I'm interested in any job," Randolph said. "I want to manage again. I won't actively solicit that kind of thing, but I feel like if they feel I'm a fit and they're serious about it, they'll give me a call and we can talk."

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Why? Cooper is terrible. I think Ed wade has proven he can draft so...

4. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

I hated the Ed Wade signing (and still do), but even I think he hasn't screwed up so far.

5. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

I never liked Cooper, he seemed so uninterested during the games, how can you turn in the wrong lineup card?! If the reports were true that he lost the team then he should definately go.

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Not Cooper's fault. In fact, besides this drop down right now, Coop had the Astros performing above expectations for most of the season.

It's Drayton who is most at fault. It's his utter refusal to start rebuilding that has left the Astros in a state of mediocrity they are in right now.

7. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

The thing that will forever stay with me from the Cooper era is..."Really?".

8. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

finally he is gone

9. Raven

Raven Member

Cooper had poor relations with his players, so he's gone, and that's all there is to it.

I wish the new manager the best of luck, and I hope ownership finally gets it and realizes it's time to trade the veterans for whatever they can get, before their value plummets any further.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Can we fire McLane?

DD

11. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I tell you what...Trade the Predators for the Astros, and we'll take McLane...Both are cold and lifeless. Even trade accepted

12. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

Yea this really takes care of that pitching problem.

13. Raven

Raven Member

He's 73, and only one year older than Bob McNair.

14. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

I dont think that firing Cooper is the answer, but it is definately a start in the right direction. It is fairly clear that the Astros failed Cooper as much as he failed them. However, when a manager loses the clubhouse the way Cooper allegedly did, ownership has no other course of action.

With the Astros "moving" towards playing younger players, I really think it would help them if they got a young manager. Someone who knows how to relate to younger ball players.

As a die-hard Astros fan, I am relieved, as I am finally seeing the organization coming to grips with reality. The false hope the Astros sold of fielding a contender and being in the race was ridiculous and almost insulting. Hopefully this is a step in the right direction. I truly believe this town and its baseball fans will get behind a rebuilding effort. I know I would. If they committed to rebuilding, I would buy my mini-plan again.

An earlier poster mentioned that we should have re-signed Randy Wolf. Just remember, that had Wolf accepted the Astros offer prior to the Astros pulling it back, it was a certainty that cost cutting would have come from other areas. Valverde would have been most certainly gone.

Last point- Any one think it is stupid that the Astros are giving away Pudge Rodriguez bobbleheads on Saturday? He was an Astro for like 6 weeks and he no longer with the team.

15. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

You're all wrong, I tell you... all wrong. It's so obvious.

Bud Selig is The Man.

Uncle D worships The Man (respecting slot allowances, the Ike fiasco and Wrigley Field North, etc...).

The Man's favorite team is the Brewers.

When hired, Cecil Cooper held the single-season RBI record for the Brewers and was therefore a Brewer legend and one of The Man's favorites.

When Fielder surpassed Cooper's mark on Saturday, McLane no longer saw value in Coop and decided to axe him. He waited a couple of days to announce it in an effort to trick the public (typical, sneaky Unlce D).

Sheesh, even a caveman could have figured that one out. :D

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-astros-cooper&prov=ap&type=lgns

One could only hope that McLane in private has more of a clue.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

McLane pointing out the payroll is such a "Hey, don't blame me" moment.....

SHEESH !

DD

18. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

20. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Better late than never, but it's pointless with two weeks left...