1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Titans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Sep 16, 2009.

1. aggie87

aggie87 Member

am I the only one who gets pissed off when Houstonions root on the Cowboys and don't acknowledge that the city of Houston even has a football team, then all of of sudden Cowboys suck today, and Texans do well and these so called Texans fans start talking about the Texans making the playoffs :mad:

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

really, after the three 60+ yard plays they gave up to johnson, they played pretty solid. They seemed to catch him in the backfield much more towards the end of the 3rd and into the 4th. I even thought the secondary started playing better towards the end, particularly Bennett and Beason(?)(white safety). Those 3 plays were unexcusable, but outside of that, they played decent

3. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

I have my share of players that I don't like, but over the past couple of years, I have never despised any player more than that idiot Cortland Finnegan.

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I actually like Cortland Finnigan, probably my favorite non texan players. He's a really physical corner and has come a long way since being a 7th round pick

5. TheBigAristotle

Bojangles son. BOJANGLES! :)

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Wow, what a great game! I did not think the Texans would go into Nashville and get a win....so glad to be wrong!

8. dbigfeet

dbigfeet Member

I don't know if my heart can take all this. Between U of H and the Texans, this is a lot of stress

9. msn

msn Member

I predicted 31-10 tittans.

So glad to be wrong!!!!

Now, about Andre Johnson. If that dude would just learn to score, he would be something.

:D

10. msn

msn Member

why is that flag white?????

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That was the Texans I was hoping for this season (minus the huge plays given up to Chris Johnson...how good is that guy?!). They fought hard for 60 minutes and won a tough game on the road against one of the best in the NFL. This has to be a springboard to bigger and better. They absolutely cannot go out next Sunday and lay an egg to a bad Jacksonville team. This has to be one of those games, like last season, where they just kick the s*** out of someone.

12. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nice win. Now let's take care of business at home in battle red.

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

they should absolutely be 3-1; they're a better team than jacksonville and oakland. as far as i'm concerned, the kubiak watch starts *right now* - if they're not 3-1, i'll be disappointed in his ability to ready and focus his team. big, Big, BIG two week stretch coming up for this franchise.

in the meantime, they're still on pace to be 5-3 at the halfway point, and 6-2 is still a possibility. they're right on schedule - i feel good about this. i told you guys: watch the jets; the titans are vulnerable. houston moved the ball up and down the field on tennessee last year in both games; they just sputtered in the red zone. yesterday they didn't.

the defense will remain a work in progress through the first 8 weeks; new players, new coaches - that'll need time to iron out: not nearly as concerned about them as i was prior to week 1. but slaton is a BIG concern. i had a feeling this might happen. he's put it on the turf three time in 2 games - i won't be shocked if brown starts next week.

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Oakland might force the Texans to run the ball to beat them. Oakland did last year and won the game. I think that this is a bad matchup for the Texans. I do not see a blow out win here for the Texans.

15. Hey Now!

oakland's offense is putrid while the texans' offense is good enough to do whatever they want to an opponent. all i care about is wins; not final scores. blowouts are meaningless.

this team *has to* be 3-1. they've spent a lot of time reading their press clippings the past two years, and come out flat each and every time. this is a big week for them.

16. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

I hear you on that. They seem to respond well after being embarrassed, then underwhelm when they play well the game before. I'm hoping they can stay hungry and, more importantly, quit giving up the quota of three big plays. Jacksonville did hang with Indy so lets not get cocky.

I know this, that Monday Nighter will be bananas. I think I'll try to get some tickets home and go to that one.

17. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Now here's where we disagree because their past record tells me that they could just as easily lay an egg in one of the next two games. With regards to the Texans, you simply can't look at them and flatly state that they are a better team than _________ because you never know which Texans' team will show up. Yesterday, they played exactly with the determination and passion that I've been waiting to see from them since the preseason started. Their backs were up against the perverbial wall and everyone & their mother were calling them out. NOW, their challenge is to bring this kind of effort week in and week out. We see that happen then we'll finally be seeing a team that has taken the next step up.

I'd still have to see how they handle the physicality of the Raiders and I believe that the 49ers & Bills games won't be a cakewalk either. I do not expect the Raider defense to play the same way as the Titans did yesterday and I want to see how they handle the determination of the 49ers. I can still see them going 4-4 for the first half so let's not talk about their being "on pace" just yet.

Here's my take: Tenn was geared up to stop the run and they absolutely shut it down. I believe that they, like everyone else, have figured out how to attack the ZBS and neutralize it so I expect this to be a recurring theme in their games this year. What I find curious about their defensive strategy was that after they had done so, their linebackers continued to bite on the play action pass and got caught looking into the backfield. Of course, this allowed them to get burned continually (thank you very much!).

The second thing I noticed was that as the game wore on, they did not really go after Schaub all that much unlike the Jets. They essentially played the way they did in the Pitt game when they let Ben move the ball down the field late in the game and burn them. Many times, I expected them to really come after him and they backed off the pressure. You may recall in the 4th Qtr late in the game, they did get a big push up the middle and force him to backpedal where he under threw the ball. I was curious as to what Cecil was thinking because this makes 2 games now that I've scratched my head about his defensive strategy. But don't misunderstand me here: in this game, Shannahan smartly exploited the defensive weaknesses of Tenn (linebackers) and for that I am quite pleased with the effort. Win or lose, I want to see them bring this kind of effort EVERY week.

18. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

This upcoming game with Jax will be interesting. Jax looks absolutely DOA right now but both teams despise each other and play each other very hard so anything can happen. Oakland's offense is bad because their QB stinks on ice. I'm still trying to figure out what idiot in that front office figured Jamarcus Russell was pro QB material. Their defense will bring the hammer so it remains to be seen how Shannahan & Schaub responds.

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

You need to rewatch the game. The Titans blitzed a lot, but the Texans were able to handle it.

20. Hey Now!

isn't that essentially what i said? i didn't predict they would be 3-1 - i said they *should* be 3-1. if they lose either of these games, you'll see the first cracks in my kubiak support. (although, having said that, if they lose both but finish the first half 5-3, i won't care. the goal is 5 wins in the first half. if they can do that, this'll be a fun second-half.)

and you're flat-crazy if you think the texans aren't a better team - on paper - than jacksonville, oakland, san francisco and buffalo. anything can happen in the nfl, so i afford space for the unpredictable - but all things being equal, they should beat those 4 teams. arizona, too, quite frankly.

did you know the texans are 4-0 under kubiak when they face teams with greater determination? (eye roll) if the texans are the team we want them to be, they handle san fran and their determination handily. and the raiders suck. (sorry, moes)

i think slaton, not the system, is the bigger culprit. he looks tentative and slower than last year; he's thinking too much. brown came in and ran much more effectively - his first down, 10-yard run iced the game.

they've got a problem with slaton.