1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jay Leno

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Sep 13, 2009.

1. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

This is a typical Leno joke - cheesy and poorly delivered:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_kcc3DzDgqo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_kcc3DzDgqo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I agree, Air Langhi. I think demographics are a big part of it.

2. what

what Member

Once again, if we were talking about who's the best comedian maybe you got an argument, but you seem to be judging hosting based solely on which one you think is funnier.

Late night as a medium is altogether stale because it is etremely fomulatic. Let's get conan or jimmy fallon to play water darts, or let's get them on a camel.

The only one that really does it well is Dave. Followed by Conan and then Leno. One thing I like about Craig Ferguson is that he resists those cheap laughs and does his own thing.

3. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I think each talk show host have their strengths and weaknesses, and yeah certain demographics follow certain talk show hosts.

Conan's strengths IMO is his interaction with guests, he usually has a good rapport with guests and his self deprecating manner gets them at ease. Jay sometimes is a douche to guests.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You are right I am. I watch the shows for entertainment and laughs. The interviews aren't really that hard hitting, except for sometimes David Letterman, so I think who is actually funny and more creative, and imaginative would be good criteria.

If other people use other criteria, that's fine.

5. BrooksBall

what,

It sounds like your making an argument in favor of Leno's writers over Conan's writers.

I'll admit that Leno had some pretty good people behind the scenes. If he didn't, he would have been one of the biggest flops in talk show history.

By himself, Leno is an untalented, unfunny person with scary bad interviewing skills.

If we're talking about writers and behind the scenes people, that's a slightly different argument. Even if you could convince me that Leno had better writers and behind the scenes people, which I don't necessarily believe, I'd rather have them doing their thing with Conan as the host.

6. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

Jay Leno is funny

if you're 80 years old

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I like Leno. I like Conan. I can't watch Conan multiple times though because his stunts that are over the top are repeated without variance quite often. Drives me crazy. I also think his filmed vignettes are terrible.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

Indeed. Conan may not have the overall ratings, but he's the king of the 18-40ish age group that advertisers look for. So his viewers are worth more, in a way. Cause they buy stuff. :)

9. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Can't wait for the show to start tomorrow ... must say that I liked Conan's version of the tonight show a lot more than I thought I would

10. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Jays not untalented, I mean he became a popular and respected comedian in the 80s for a reason. He's just bland as hell. It's like a french fry with no salt.

11. hjg877

hjg877 Member

This is an amusing argument. I recall reading on this same board the last couple of years how everyone thought Letterman was the worst.

I've always been drawn to Letterman and his style. I still enjoyed Leno, yet his show was more about the punchlines and jokes -- simple, straight-forward humor.

Conan took a while for me to appreciate; his comedy was, to me, pseudo-underground -- as in, similar to how Family Guy wasn't immediately popular, then popped up "underground" and exploded on Cartoon Network.

The problem with bringing Conan to The Tonight Show is his style isn't appreciated (yet) by the majority of the typical (old) viewers for that time slot. From what I have seen of "new" Conan is it's still a work in progress.

The issue I had with Conan was his self-deprecating "no one is watching" amateur-like routine. That may have been relevant and entertaining for his long time late night slot, but not for The Tonight Show.

Easiest solution: I think he needs more gimmicks.

12. limedeal

limedeal Member

For me, Conan has been less than impressive on the Tonight Show. His humor at 12:30 on Late Night has not been transferred to 11:30 time slot and is appealing to the more mainstream audience. Might explain why his ratings as the Tonight Show host have dropped dramatically from Leno's ratings,

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly...

Jay Leno is incredibly unfunny...

Dave/Conan/Craig for the win...

14. PointForward

PointForward Member

lol Brooksball going all out with 4+ anti-Jay Leno posts..what do you have against the guy? I mean, we get it, you think he aint funny, but easy on the guy, he has had a top rated show for a really long time now, and no, people who like him aren't the MTV fans. If you don't like his style of humor, you're entitled to your opinion, but stop spewing hate on the guy.

Remember that guy whose mom got Worrellified? I think we have a similar case here :D

15. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

And the best.

I noticed NO ONE hardly even breathed Kimmel's name. Figures.

16. yeah

yeah Member

Have you guys even seen Jimmy Fallon? Easily the best in late night!

17. BrooksBall

Having a top rated show has more to do with the people behind the scenes and taking over on an already established show.

His behind the scenes people were good and successfully made an otherwise unfunny scrub look good as a result.

Hate (if you choose to call it that) spewed. Deal with it.

BTW, Fallon is horrible as well.

18. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Old folks loves them some Leno.

I think his new show will probably have great ratings.

But yeah, never found him funny. Safe, bland and generic is pretty much how every one of his Tonight Show episodes that I tried to watch played out.

Now, I've never heard pre-Tonight Show Leno standup, so maybe he was a great comedian, I don't know. But other than that...ugh.

Also think it's pretty ****ty what he did to Letterman and Carson.

19. lalala902102001

I'm very curious to see how Leno does at the 10pm slot. NBC is apparently counting on him to save the day.