1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oregon Sucker Punch

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dubious, Sep 4, 2009.

1. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

exactly what I was thinking. People are calling it a sucker punch because the guy starts turning his head. But, the guy pushed his shoulder and taunted the Oregon RB. He knew he was provoking him. If i get in the ring with Mike Tyson and turn my head that doesn't mean he's sucker punching me.

...and emjohn's post was spot on. BOTH guys are idiots and in many other situations the Boise St. kid deserves what he gets. It's just your doing what you plan on doing after college, your career, you need to show some class and restraint...be the bigger man. Instead Blount blows up and risks his career...what an idiot.

2. RHostetler82

RHostetler82 Member

Sucker punch those fools! ya dig.

3. Asian Sensation

Of course Mike Bellotti former coach now AD would say no punishment. He's in it to win it and the chances of winning are much better with LGB than without. I think the NCAA or pac 10 commisioners are going to suspend Blount though.

A lot of embarassed and upset Duck fans after last night. Rightfully so. Ugh what a disaster.

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The taunter was a punk and honestly, deserved it.

Then again, you can't go around punching people because their are dicks...unfortunately.

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

This is what Blount said before the game --> "We are going to give Boise State an a** whoopin'". Riiight. How about ZERO first downs for the Ducks in the first half.

Then after the sucker punch, he tried to go after a fan. Why would anyone defend this guy ?

He deserved to be taunted by giving the other team bulletin board material. Dude is the biggest knucklehead evar!

6. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

i also agree the boise dude needs a suspension as well for that weak taunting.

7. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I think we have it all wrong:

Boise State player reaching to hug Oregon player, "You have pretty eyes, friend."
    Coach, "Are you cheating on me?"
    Boise State player, "Don't be like that, coach!"
    Oregon player screams, swinging for the winged scourge of man, "Oh, shucks! Beeeeeeee!!!!!"

Oregon player prances away, flexing his muscle, proud of his bee-killing prowess.

8. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I have a really hard time defending anything Blount did last night, or even condemning the Boise player.

I mean put your self in the Boise State player's shoes. You've been using Blount's quote ("We're gonna whoop your a**") as bulletin board material for this game. Mr. Confident then proceeds to go down in flames with a riveting -5 yard game. Judging by his history, chances are very high that Blount kept talking mess the entire game, even with his awful performance.

After all this, you wouldn't be tempted to give him a tap and say something like "who whooped who now?," which I would bet a lot of money was along the lines of what Hout said. I don't know, maybe it is just my competitive nature, but I do not feel this is very out of line, and I would bet things like that happen way more often than the casual fan thinks. Certainly often enough where a player would feel comfortable enough to say something like that without fear of being punched in the face.

Would I promote Hout's actions to a youngster playing football? Absolutely not. But to say a player who taunts another player is just as much at fault as the player who threw a punch is hard for me to agree with.

People keep saying that Hout started it, which is incorrect. Blount really started it when he opened his idiot mouth before the game. Don't dish it out if you can't handle it in return, big guy.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Umm, He handled it pretty well I'd say.:) First round knockout....

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The fair solution is to punish both players equally.

11. manbearpig

manbearpig Member

If it wasn't for a camera catching this, no one would care. Someone punched someone, big deal. The guy got right back up anyway. They fight all game, just let it go people.

12. Asian Sensation

I hoped your last sentence was in reference to Hout but it isn't.

Blount said he was gonna whoop some ass and he did. LITERALLY

I don't condone Blount's actions by any means but the more I watch the replay the happier I am to see Hout get punched. He has a stupid smug look on his face and he puts his hand on someone else. It's a 2 way street. You win with class and you lose with class. If that fool Hout didn't provoke Blount nothing would've happened. You can't expect to talk **** and put your hands on another man no matter how soft and just think nothings gonna happen. Hout should know better than to talk smack to a dude that's bigger and stronger than him that comes from the hood. I'm sure Hout will think twice before taunting opposing players after winning.

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Same here. Nothing is worse then the trash talker that is getting owned(i.e. Ron Artest). Its why I went from a Kobe fan/defender to I can't stand Kobe watching him on National TV talking trash to a guy that says nothing out there in Battier.

14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I think a good push would have sufficed. He embarrassed himself and his school on national tv.

15. CrazyJoeDavola

I totally agree. If you can't handle a little trash talk, then go play tiddly winks or something. He will never make it in the NFL reacting like that.

16. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Blount is an idiot and can't handle the pressure...He punched the guy talking trash (in slow-mo you can see spit knocked out), but then goes ape ***** against his own players and Boise fans...I don't blame him for being PO'd, but c'mon, have some control..

He'll be suspended for a couple of games and then be back, IMHO...will he make it as a pro, who knows, but the NFL always gives 2nd chances...

17. firecat

firecat Contributing Member

I'm in the camp of thinking that it was not a sucker punch. We see it in slow motion and the guy had obviously turned his head, but I think in that moment it was just a reaction. The BS player was really dumb for taunting without his helmet. I remember our coaches always made us keep our helmets on at the end of games for that reason.

It reminds me of those people that think that they can say any dumb thing that they want because our country has free speech. Yeah, you can't get arrested for what you say, but somebody might knock you the f&*K out!

Blount was stupid for losing his cool because he has so much to lose, but if you go out on any Saturday night and get in someones face like that you are likely to get a similar reaction. Especially when someone has just been humiliated on national television for three hours after talking so much trash.

18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

19. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

you are kidding? (I hope)

20. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I guess I'm just confused by the double standard.

So Blount can talk mess (nationally published, pre-game mess) without warranting any sort of retaliation, even a common post-game taunt... but Hout should expect to get punched for this simple taunt?