1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 3 Over/Under Achievers in NBA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by COMPAQ CENTER, Jun 18, 2002.

1. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

Name current Top 3 Over/under achievers in NBA.

Over-achiever:
    1. Steve Nash
    2. Cuttino Mobley
    3. Latrell Sprewell

Under-achiever:
    1. Kelvin Cato
    2. Derrick Coleman
    3. Danny Ferry

2. foodworld

foodworld Member

Overachievers:
    Michael Redd - Best garbage-minute shooter in the league. His freakish improvement couldn't offset disappointing seasons from Allen, Robinson, Thomas and Mason, however.

Devean George - He sucks; he can't shoot off the dribble, yet he does; he is only a decent outside-shooter, yet he launches threes. I guess in Division III college basketball he played center and dominated. Now he has three championship rings.

All-time: Cedric Ceballos (he was a good offensive player, but his defensive lapses and water-skiing meant that he never stayed with a team very long... hard to believe that this former 20 ppg scorer is in the ABA 2000), John Starks, Michael Adams, or any other former all-star who spent time in the CBA

Underachievers:
    Glen Robinson - I thought that he would become an immediate NBA superstar; it took him a full season to become a consistent 20 ppg scorer. He has a very well-balanced offensive game, able to play several positions, with plenty of defensive strength to go along with it. I guess he isn't effective unless he carries 100% of his team's scoring burden. Either that or he's a bum.

Chris Webber - He was the most hyped college prospect of all time. In college he was able to dominate with strength alone, so I guess he never developed his post-game; he now relies on 18-footers. Still, he should be the best rebounder in the league, especially on the offensive end. He is also a very skilled passer, but only inside. It's also frustrating to see that he's never improved his free-throw shooting.

Keith Van Horn - Came out of Utah with rebounding/shot-blocking ability and was very agressive on offense, so he could play both forward positions. He was very effective defensively with Jayson Williams at center. His decline was due to selfish point-guard play, injuries and bad coaching. He's lost the ability to drive without having the ball taken away from him.

All-time: Len Bias, Chris Washburn (a monster talent, the highest-ranked college recruit in the country, who could've been a Shaq-like presence if he had improved in the citizenship department... and scored something higher than a combined total of 470 on his SATS)

3. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

Over-achievers:
    Muggsy Bogues
    Earl Boykins

Under-achievers:
    Pervis Ellison (wasn't he a #1 pick or something?)
    Derrick Coleman (coulda been one of the best 4's of all time...biggest waste of talent in NBA history)
    Penny Hardaway (2nd biggest waste of talent)

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Over-Achiever:
    1.Cat
    2.Sam Cassell
    3.Mugsy Bogues

Under-Achiever:
    1.Donyell Marshal- I thought he was going to be better than Glenn Robinson and the next Scottie Pippen.

2.D. Coleman- A lot of talent and versatility and great size too.

3.Sam Bowie/Brad Dougherty.- Great college careers that didn't pan out

5. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Daugherty really wasn't that big of a bust, just injuries.

6. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Michael Redd, Cat, Mario Elie are overachiervers.

Juwon Howard, Rodney White, and Keith Van Horn are underachiervers.

7. aLfaBoLoUs1

aLfaBoLoUs1 Member

Under Achievers:
    Keith Van Horn- way way overpaid, can't shoot a lick, doesnt play D at all, where was he in the NBA Finals?
    Juwan Howard- way way overpaid, just plain sucks, doesnt really have game at all
    Chris Webber- too much hype, didnt produce what was expected of him, scared to shoot in crunchtime and guess what, overpaid!

Over Achievers:
    Jason Kidd- keeps getting better while making everyone around him better
    Steve Francis- despite missing most of season, had good stats and showed how much he means to his team
    Ben Wallace- came out of nowhere, led league in rebounding and defensive player of year, last year, no one knew who he was

8. Asian Sensation

I don't think there's something called an OVER ACHIVEVER. Surely players may work hard and it can seem like that but to my understanding the only player that comes even close would have to be Michael Jordan. As for under achievers, there are way too many in the NBA.

9. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

Over acheiver in my books is a player who might have limited talent or not thought highly of due to bad situation (i.e Sprewell), or drafted low (i.e Mobley) or was a throw-in in a trade (i.e Nash),
    yet they played hard and made name for themselves. Under acheiver is the quiet opposite.

10. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Underachiever? Shawn Kemp, man! If that guy got off drugs he could still be very good.

Overachiever? Outlaw. I love that guy.

11. ktheintz

ktheintz Member

<i>Derrick Coleman (coulda been one of the best 4's of all time...biggest waste of talent in NBA history)</i><p>
    Manslaughter defendant Jayson Williams came out with a book about 3 years ago called <b>Loose Balls</b>. According to him, the contempt for practice expressed by Allen Iverson in that notorious press conference is in fact quite widespread. He quotes Coleman, responding to a coach's demand during a practice session, as saying, <b>"Do you want it now, or do you want it in the game?"</b>, implying that one came at the expense of the other.<p>
    Williams himself seconded Coleman's contempt for practice, and suggested that this was something of a consensus among mid-90s NBA players.

12. suntzu

suntzu Member

Overachievers:
    Ben Wallace
    Cuttino Mobley
    Eduardo Najera

Underachivers:
    Kelvin Cato
    Darius Miles
    Robert Traylor
    Marcus Camby