1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sporting News rips Rockets decision to pick Ming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Drewdog, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Eddie!Eddie!

Eddie!Eddie! Member

I called Kevin Wheeler the night before last on Sporting News Radio, and he got pissed because I made him look like a moron. He was raving about how that Vlade Divac made Shaq work with his outside shot, and then 20 minutes later said that Yao wouldn't make it because he had no low post game. Well I reminded him that Yao shot 72% from the field, and can hit 15-17fters easily, and he replied about how he wasn't going to do that in the NBA against bigger guys. So then I said Ok who in the NBA is 7ft or over, and has a body, and of course he replied Shaq. Well Kevin, I said we see Shaq 4 times a year what about the other 78 games? So Mr. Wheeler tried to dodge the question by calling him S. Bradley and hanging up on me! THAT is why I hate the media, because when someone sticks them, they go back to their stereotypical idea of someone, and refuse to accept the knowledge someone has given them. Anyway, when Yao gives me 10pts and 8rbs a game, I am gonna call him back to rag his ass!!!

2. DLev

DLev Member

man, I came over here to post my own thread on this topic with my reply, but you guys obviously have it covered. Here's my letter to this tool:

Stan,
    I've got to tell you, you're article on draft day winners and losers really makes it look like you weren't paying attention. Two years ago, the Rockets had the best record of any team ever not to make the playoffs, and had a perfect record against the Central Division. Last year, our star player was out a lot of the season with recurring migraines, while our star power forward didn't play a game because of an achillies tear.
    Look at the Rockets depth chart:

G: Francis, Mobley, Norris. Three quality players that are going to get the bulk of playing time barring a trade. Mobley and Norris already have long-term big contracts, and the Rockets are going to give Francis the max in the next few months.

SF: Glen Rice, Terance Morris, Walt Williams (FA). Big problems here, obviously a weakness.

PF: Mo Taylor, Kenny Thomas, Eddie Griffin. Maybe the most loaded position on the team. They've tried KT at SF, with little luck, and they're trying Griffin there a little.

C: Cato, Langhi, Collier. Something needs to be done here, these guys suck.

With that, your advice to the Rockets was to take a point guard while we already have three quality guys capable of playing the point, or trade down to get a PF from the Clippers. I've got news for you, we already have a PF from the Clippers, his name is Mo Taylor and he's going to be splitting time with a budding star in Eddie Griffin.

The Rockets are not in rebuilding mode, they're close to being a playoff contender and they drafted for need. Even if Yao is no better that Vlade Divac, that's enough to get us over the top. We drafted for need, and we nailed it perfectly with Nachbar and Yao. You obviously know nothing about the guy because one of the highlights of Yao's careers were a couple of blocks against the Americans in the Olympics, and yet you sit there saying he's not a shot blocker.

One last thing, you're funny quip about language problems for the Rockets with Yao and Nachbar: If you would have paid any attention to the draft last night, you would have seen Nachbar speak English during an interview.

I don't have a problem with columnists making predictions, but I think they would be more valid if the columnist had the first clue about his subject matter. Yao may not turn out to be the best player in the draft, but he was still the best player for the Rockets in this situation.

3. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

I have a new signature!

4. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I figured what the hell, I'll send this ass clown an email, too.

Here's mine:

Stan:

Thanks for giving me one of the best laughs that I have had in years!!! Your article on the Rockets' draft is so wrong and clueless on so many accounts. I don't really have time to go through each one of your "points", but I'll address some of these:

1) Nachbar is NOT from the Czech Republic, he is from Slovenia
    2) Nachbar spoke pretty good English...he didn't need a translator at Draft night
    3) Both Rudy and Carroll Dawson explained that Ming's English is good enough for him to understand what Rudy and CD are saying to him.
    4) It's not the first time that a foreign player has come into the NBA where English was not his first language. Gee, I wonder how the Blazers ever communicated with Arvydas Sabonis??
    5) Why in the world would the Rockets regret not picking Jay Williams when they already have a point guard in Francis?? That comment right there told me you are clueless.
    6) Ming was the #1 shotblocker in the CBA and in the top 2 in the Olympics...this "myth" of him not being a shot-blocker is just that...a myth.

There are more but I don't have the time to go through them; however, these were the major ones.

I have a question for you, Stan: have you even seen Ming play?? A lot of people have dissed Ming with negative comments because they simply have not SEEN him play.

No one in Houston or elsewhere that is a Rockets fan (that is rational) is expecting Ming to become a dominant franchise player in his first season. We all know that it will take him some time to adjust to the NBA; however, he is infinitely more skilled than Cato. I fully expect the Rockets to be in the playoffs next season (if they can avoid the injury bug) regardless of how much Ming contributes. I'm looking to the future and banking that someone who has his skills will become a "Rik Smits" type center at the worst case scenario.

Next time you decide to "write" an article, I would suggest that you do a better job of researching your topic (thinking Nachbar was from the Czech Republic is incredibly POOR journalism). It's little wonder that I don't read TSN much anymore.

See ya in the playoffs,
    Rockets fan in TN

5. tariq

tariq Member

Here is what I sent him:

Hey Moron,

Don't you know that Nachbar is from Slovenia and not from the Czech Rep.?

I wonder who gave you this job to write articles? Some guy from Belarus?
    Now go to a map and find out where Belarus is.

6. redao

redao Member

This reminds me a guy named "Dick" call Yao Ming as Mr. Ming in a bashing article.
    Now this "Stan" is having the same problem with where Bachbar came from.

Morons always went a hostile way to Rockets. This is the only good thing.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

What I wrote:

Hey Dick Clark....I mean Stan McNeal:

I never read the Sporting News, but I heard you were misinforming the public concerning the draft last night, so I thought I'd email you to help you find your errors.

The Yao Ming opinion, is just that, an opinion, and it is yours, so I won't hassle you about it. But please don't spread rumors as facts...

"How can someone be 7-5 and not be considered a shot blocker? " Yao is considered a shot blocker, and has stats to prove it. What analysts disagree on, however, is whether or not he currently knows how to body-up on defense in one-on-one situations. As a shotblocker and intimidator, though, Yao is already very accomlished.

"How will he communicate with his teammates, not to mention Rudy Tomjanovich? " Yao Ming already speaks some English. It doesn't take a lot of research to figure this out. Even less research is needed to search the web or listen to an interview to hear how Ming and Rudy T had a nice conversation after he was picked. Rudy does not speak Chinese, so, that's right, it was in English.

"There could be times when he has to call plays in three languages -- one for Yao Ming, another for rookie forward Bostjan Nachbar from Slovenia " I know you're getting a lot of slack for this one, as it is quite possibly one of the dumbest things written by someone who claims to be a basketball analyst and should have watched the draft. I'm sure countless others have emailed to inform you of your stupidity here, as you actually managed to change Czech Republic (what you had initially) to Slovenia. Ah...it doesn't really matter what central European country you put down there, does it??? I'm surprised you haven't gotten rid of that whole paragraph as you probably also now recognize your stupidity in claiming Nachbar won't understand the playcalling in English when he had a perfectly fluent interview last night.

I never really read the Sporting News. Is this the kind of garbage you always put out.

8. Axeman

Axeman Member

How can such stupid men get jobs writing articles for major sports publications? Why is this guy stupid??? Read on...

Stupid point #1... Uh, since when was there a sure thing in the NBA draft? How many guys that get picked high actually become superstars? That's why it is the DRAFT. There are no sure things. You just know guys have potential. The only sure thing is to get a veteran who has already proven himself.

Stupid point #2... Last time I checked, when Yao Ming was 19 years old he swatted shots from Vince Carter and Gary Payton out of the gym in the Olympics. And, he averaged 4 blocks per game in the CBA.

Just goes to show you --- idiots get hired every day at major newspapers across the country. Most of the people on this BBS know more about basketball than this guy does.

9. Sphere

Sphere Member

Who cares what Stan thinks anyway. He just a armchair quarterback with a laptop.

Stan,
    Opinions are like ***holes, everyone has one and yours stinks!!!

10. tozai

tozai Member

Damn you guys tore him up, and deservingly so...

Another example of his stupidity is:
    "Loser: By taking Curtis Borchardt with the 18th pick, the Magic pretty much admitted that drafting Steven Hunter with the 15th pick last year was a mistake. Otherwise, why take a player so similar? Don't forget, the Magic didn't exactly hit the jackpot with the 22nd pick last season, Jeryl Sasser. "

Actually Borchardt was traded on Draft day for Humphrey & another player, but obviously he didn't WATCH the whole draft, or actually maybe any of it at all if he didn't notice Nachbar spoke English perfectly fine

11. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Looks like someone (maybe Stan himself) changed the article to say that Nachbar is now from Slovenia instead of his original article (as you can read in my original post) that cleary said Czech Republic.

What an ass clown......

Go to this link:

http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/stan_mcneal/20020626.html
    You can see this tool with the words EXPERT written under his name.

Somebody needs to wake up and tell Stan that he is not an expert!

12. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

The time he said Yao is not a shot-blocker, he lost all his credibilities, and I have seen many like him this past week. One writer even based his entire argument that the Rocket should not draft Yao because he is not a shot-blocker.(?)

Now, who ever started this stupid snow-ball that Ming is not a shot-blocker is recommended to get his head checked. This must go down as one of the dumbest, most ill-informed statement in this year's draft pick. Yao's shot blocking ability is one his first asset that he can help impact the team immediately.

-G'day-

#32 C-Kompii, Jun 27, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2002
  13. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

That guy is an idiot. Since when does blocking 5 shots per game in your league NOT make you a shot-blocker!? At least do research before ripping Ming Sporting News!

14. hpscc

hpscc Member

If you really want to give it to McNeal, copy your e-mails to other sports columnists at the SportingNews or wherever else. He won't be too happy to have such obvious mistakes pointed out too his peers.

15. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Some of you may have gotten this. Here's Stan's response to my e-mail:

My opinion of Yao's shot-blocking comes from talking with NBA coaches and
    scouts who have seen him play. Even if he can speak English as a second
    language, that's not the same as having to speak nothing but English 24/7,
    while living in a foreign city for the first time. Houston is not exactly
    Shanghai now, is it?

I wish Yao a lot of luck. I hope he is able to stand up to Shaq.

Thanks for reading,

Stan McNeal

I'm highly skeptical of his claim, but I can't say I've ever spoken with an NBA coach or scout. Any thoughts?

16. Drewdog

I just received this email from our EXPERT Stan....

If Yao Ming had starred at Houston as Hakeem did, I would not consider the pick a risk. Everyone knew Olajuwon was going to be a star. No one knows how good--or bad--Yao Ming will be.

Thanks for reading,

Stan McNeal

Keep flooding him with emails at smcneal@sportingnews.com !!

17. Roarke

Roarke Member

To: Ming and Bostjan, Welcome to Houston. As you can see we are passionate and knowledgable fans that don't put up with inaccurate smack! Your going to love it in Clutch City.

18. Primetime

Primetime Member

screw all the haters. Ming is young and already gifted, and also eager to learn and quick to adapt.....yup, sounds like a stupid pick by the Rockets, eh?

would they same the same kind of crap if the Knicks followed suit??

19. Drewdog

Nope if the Knicks drafted Ming #1, everyone would have been praising what a great pick it was.....

20. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Francis didn't seem to have any problems communicating with the Torres, another player who doesn't speak any English.

#40 arkoe, Jun 28, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2002