1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Diamondbacks

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 28, 2009.

1. right1

right1 Member

Norris' stats were really not that great at Cal-Poly in the NCAA, neither were they stellar in the minor leagues until this season at Round Rock. I'm not sure what to think of his and Paulino's future in mlb. They can both hit 95 mph on the gun :confused: They've both pitched some gems, but neither seems to have the control or consistency to have more than somewhat decent success at the major league level to this point.

2. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

They come up to the majors and have early success only to completely crater a few games in. I have to believe that some of that is the coaching. I think we have a pitching coach that:

1. Jacks with a guy's mechanics and game to the point that they cannot get guys out, and

2. Cannot seem to keep anybody healthy.

It has become alarming.

3. TheBigAristotle

Well at least that wasn't another blowout.

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Yep, was a good trade, Lidge was done in Houston, and looks like he'll be done in Philly too. It's mental with this guy, you don't go from being lights out to being completely hittable twice in your own career unless it's mental. Bourn on the other hand is our starting CF and lead off guy, and should be for the next 10 years.

5. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I'm in awe with a play he makes every other game it seems.

I'd love to see a highlight reel of all his defensive gems, stolen bases, clutch hits, etc... at the end of the season.

He covered a mile on that catch in the 8th. Nobody thought he or Hunter had a chance. Not the announcers, the players or anybody in that stadium. Bourn is turning into a stud both offensively and defensively.

6. right1

right1 Member

I wish the Alvin Express was here in Houston. Rangers pitchers are having a lot of success.

7. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

Though there was much debate on this issue (Cat where are you?), can this really be argued anymore? The excuse was Lidge was simply hurt in the past, which explained his struggles. Well what's the reason now for his erratic control? Is he hiding another knee injury?

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Cat thinks so.

FWIW Lidge has had injury problem in the Astros farm system, with the Astros and now with the Phillies.

9. BrooksBall

I'm pretty sure Lidge was on the DL again this season. I don't doubt that injuries have had an effect on his performance over the years but as No Worries points out, he's getting injured all too often. That, in itself, is a problem, regardless of where one stands on the cause of Lidge's pitching slumps.

10. BrooksBall

Check it out, I found the Andrei Kirilenko of college baseball:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MP7dBuVYah4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MP7dBuVYah4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

11. BrooksBall

Who wants to bring Keppinger back for about $1 million as a bench hitter who can play multiple infield positions?

I vote yes for that price, even if he's only truly effective against LHP. He's kind of like a younger version of Mark Loretta.

12. BrooksBall

Did anybody just see that Valverde bobblehead?

It looked like a white dude with a light tan.

13. stobbartjohn

stobbartjohn Member

Dave Clarke is a muppet. Should be 2-2 right now. What a useless moron

14. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Ugh... will the Astros ever score with the bases loaded?

15. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

16. stobbartjohn

stobbartjohn Member

Didn't even need the bases to be loaded, Lance would have scored if Dave Clarke wasn't an imbecile

17. stobbartjohn

stobbartjohn Member

Thank god we brought Blum in as a pinch hitter there, no way would Maysonet have been able to execute such a great sac fly

18. RHostetler82

RHostetler82 Member

Argh. We suck balls on offense.

19. BrooksBall

Our pitching sucks balls, too.

We're ranked 13th in the NL in team ERA.

We're ranked 12th in runs scored.

Not a complete analysis, but our pitching is actually relatively worse than our hitting.

20. RHostetler82

RHostetler82 Member

At least we're consistent. Our offense lets us down for 6 innings and now our pitching gets to :)