1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My father in law owes me 20 grand and wont return my calls

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mateo, Aug 29, 2009.

Tags:
  1. TheBigAristotle

New Jersey does have some outstanding garbage dumps this time of year.

2. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I will admit, I'm a terrible cynic who often assumes the worst, but I just can't wrap my head around this. Perhaps it is a cultural thing that I'm missing, but how could anyone loan their father-in-law twenty grand without the knowledge of the man's daughter......your wife.

In fact, this is so outlandishly crazy to me that I start wondering if you haven't lost the 20 grand yourself doing something silly (sillier than loaning it to your father in law without your wife's knowledge), that you don't really care for your father in law, and that your post here is part of some outlandish scheme to blame the money's loss on your wife's father.

Then I start thinking I'm just being crazy...............and then I flip flop and wonder if my outlandish imagination is any crazier than the original story.

3. RHostetler82

RHostetler82 Member

Why in the hell would the last 2 paragraphs be true? lol

4. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

:medal x's 10000000000000000

my father is out a couple hundred G's because of a failed business venture with my mom's brother (who really is a great guy all things considered).

just isn't worth it.

5. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

It is amazing how the nicest guys can f' u up when it comes to money.

6. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

OK, I'll address some of the points.

I lent my father in law 10K, interest free, in March 2008 bc "a major developer" ( I wont name the name) was running about 60 days late on payments and he needed to make payroll. He paid me back 4 weeks later, ahead of time. He also threw in a gift card to Flemmings, which was nice.

Three months later he was short 20K (same developer again, late 45 days) and talking to me about the crazy rates banks were charging for a line of credit to float his account receivables. I laughed about how on the IRA I was getting less than 3% but they were charging him 9%. I said dude I could probably float you 20K for 9%. I figured he has 4 Bobcats, a fleet of trucks...and I'm his son in law so why would he jam me? So we cut a deal at a rate in the middle with a paydate of summer 2009.

Why didn't I tell my wife? Well, to be honest, she doesn't really handle the finances. She's on the board of a major charity that supports Army families, she is involved in many World Food Program events in NYC, and she's raising my kid. She knows that I have a certain amount of cash that I play around with in the markets and whatnot...for instance when the stock market took that huge dive back in the winter I threw some of the house money at that...but I took profit fairly quickly since its our house money. I do tell her when I get run over, and I tell her when I make money...I'm totally open about that. We do agree to some risk parameters. I guess bc I'm a trader by career, she trusts me.

Um, this was my worst trade in the past 3 years. I did poor analysis. What was the upside? 4 grand? And the downside? Losing 20 grand and starting a family feud? I've learned a valuable lesson here.

Did he ask to tell no one? Yes. He didnt want anyone knowing that he was having some issues collecting money because sadly BOTH of my brother in laws work for the father in law. So you know who was covering their payroll? The one brother in law who doesnt work in the family business. (I guess I sorta am an investor now, though, eh?) Also my mother in law had some major high blood pressure issues and stress issues so we decided it was better she was kept in the dark.

I'm screwed. I guess I posted this more to vent than anything else. And to make it a lesson to those of you thinking of lending to family. Just gift it.

And Pole....put down the crack pipe....seriously. :)

#46 mateo, Aug 30, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

"Investor"
    Yea . .sounds that way. just call him and leave him a message asking
    WHEN'S THE NEXT BOARD MEETING??? I got some ideas on how OUR BUSINESS will be run in the future *grin*

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  8. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Never loan money to family. Its not business. Just give them a portion of the money and tell them to never ask you for money again if you need to help them out, and never expect it back.

Somehow, when you loan money to family, YOU become that bad guy when you want your money back.

9. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Sorry man, you're getting a f%*ing divorce. No counseling. No make up sex. The big D.

10. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Befriend an Italian in a sharp suit.

11. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

No shortage of those in Hoboken, NJ. Trust me.

1 person likes this.
  12. Major

Major Member

Is he still in business? If so, you at least have a way to recoup the money if needed.

Call him and leave a message (or email him if you want a paper trail) and tell him he has x days to get a hold of you to determine a payment plan, or you'll (a) tell the family and (b) file a lawsuit. Even if your agreement was drawn up by a lawyer, it's good enough if it contains all the basic terms about the rates, principal, and when payments are supposed to be made.

Or, ask to look at his books and evaluate his company. If you think it has potential over the long term, you could always offer to reduce the principal owed in exchange for part-ownership in the business and take on some of the risk with potential higher reward down the line.

13. Major

Major Member

Err - even if it *wasn't* drawn up by a lawyer...

14. firecat

firecat Contributing Member

Look at it this way, for only 20K you are assured that your father-in-law will never ask you for money again. At the rate it was going, he could have paid you the 20k back in 3 weeks and then asked you for 40k the next month.

It doesn't sound like 20k is that big of a deal to you. Lesson learned. Maybe things will pick back up and you'll eventually get your money. I'd stop calling and just try to forget about it until he brings it up (meaning that he's ready to do something about it).

15. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

mateo,

Hate to hear that - at least, you can somewhat pin the blame on your FIL by the fact that he really didn't want anyone to know about this. But the longer you keep this from your wife, the harder it is going to be to tell her the truth. You need to come clean to her about this and hopefully, this situation won't break up your marriage and family. Good luck.

16. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

File a fake lawsuit and see if he calls you back after receiving the notice of suit.

17. aussiejack

aussiejack Member

My suggestion would be to confront him but not in a hostile way. If you back him into a corner, he can be volatile especially if he's got a lot of pride. Be understanding and attempt to arrange a method of payment that is friendly for both parties. This time, document everything in a commercial contract that is witnessed by a lawyer.

If you attempt to be aggressive such as the 'break-kneecap' method, you'll only see a rift ensue between you two and will be less likely to receive your money.

No amount of money is worth it when you risk alienating your wife's parents.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Mateo

Hi, my father recently passed and he left $300K a trust, only problem is I need $5K to pay a lawyer to get the funds released. If you provide these funds I will give you $100K. Oh yeah, i'm in Nigeria

Sorry, dude, I can't believe that took so long. I hope you work it out with your father in law.

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

mateo, sorry to hear this. What's that old saying about the road to hell being paved with good intentions?

Nothing much to add that hasn't been said already.

But seriously, what kind of a MAN borrows money from his son-in-law? If I won the lottery last week (I actually DID win $2), I know for a fact that neither my parents or my parents-in-law would ask us for money. It's just not in their nature to leech off their own kids. I have enough trouble just trying to pay the tab when we take them out to dinner. I always have to slip the waiter my credit card when they're not looking.

You're main obligation is to your wife and kid(s). If you FIL was any kind of MAN, he would understand that and wouldn't have asked you for the loan anyway.

But it sounds like you approached this deal as more of a high risk/high reward kind of a deal - and you lost. If you can afford to lose 20 grand without it having a major impact on your family, well...salute, Don mateo (Godfather quote).

If that's the case, I can only guess that this is a cleverly disguised "I'm FILTHY rich" thread. ;)

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I leeched off my parents for 18 years. I try to allow them to leech off me whenever possible.