1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen Jackson Wants Out Of Golden State

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RedRowdy111, Aug 29, 2009.

1. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I don't think they refused to sign Artest long term because of his age but because he never fit well and he showed signs of drastic decline. Jackson isn't as slow, he's a better ball handler and a better passer.

Other than being two way SF's their games aren't that similar. I think it would work out because there were plenty of instances where Ron would drive in last year but was incapable of getting the ball to his open teammates. Jackson would make those plays.

2. PTH

PTH Member

3. Garner

Garner Member

Man this is fun, I love mindless offseason speculation.

I would ok with Jacko in the Red and White. The thing I liked about Artest, and really the only thing I like about him, is he is a hardass on the court and in his own mind.

Jackson is very much the same way. He plays with a different type of dirty tenacity that makes any given squad that much more tough. I read alot about intangibles in the GARM, and for me...not being a squad of cupcakes is significant.

Artest brought that, and now offers that tenacity to the Lakers.

Jacko brings that back.

Oh, and don't come at me with he is a nut-case. The Rockets proved they are completely capable of handling a players inappropriate antics, Artest tested that.

4. Garner

Garner Member

Dirty tenacity: see also, Bruce Bowen.

5. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

The Rockets also decided that after one year of Artest's antics that they weren't so interested in his services.

6. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

There was a major difference with having Ron on a one year deal vs another player with 4 years left on his deal that can be a little of a loose cannon.

Ron, it didn't work out off the court. Yelling at his teammates, missing practice during the playoffs, and then the bus incident didn't help his case.

The goal of this organization is to get better for now and the longterm. We are going to see a nucleus of players that will be playing together for a while. Ariza is a perfect example of that. He will be our starting sf for a while in addition to being an important part this season.

It's also a known fact that Morey still feels that we will be active in the free agent market next year. Lebron, Wade might be out of reach but this is going to be a great choice for the "second" tier players. We don't want to eliminate ourselves from that.

We aren't going to sacrifice the flexibility we have financially for a guy like Stephen Jackson.

We aren't going to sacrifice that ability as well to win a few more regular season games. There is a blue print on this team. Moves in the form of a trade will have to be both productive for this year and more importantly the future.

7. TheBigAristotle

How awesome would it be if Morey and co. actually read this forum and had like a suggestion box for who we should go after?

That'd be neat :)

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

9. justafriend

justafriend Member

Everyone's gawking over his high assist total, but it came with leading the league in TO's, 3.9 a game. His assist/TO ratio was only 1.66, for comparison's sake, Artest was 1.64, Ariza was 1.67. Lots of swingmen are talented enough passers to accumulate assists, especially in a Nelly system, but not necessarily towards thier team's benefit.

When things are going good I'm sure he's a fine teammate. The fact we're disccusing this, because he whined for a trade, pretty much proves his attitude is poor when things aren't going well.

S-Jax is an MLE player right now, and he's getting older. 10 million for S-Jax isn't going to be a good look when he's 33-34.

Being with Nelly he hasn't played good IQ ball or defense for years, he'd basically have to re-learn what real basketball is. And just looking at his shooting percentages, no one with good IQ shoots that poorly, as you're either taking too many shots or the wrong kind of shots.

His run with GS which is probably the main source of the acclaim he's getting on here was not very good. .379 FG%, .361 3PT%, and taking away shots from the much more efficient Davis, Richardson and Barnes. His percentages with the Pacers are even worse, in 04-05, .393% & .317. In 05-06 he shot .366 & .231. Those are Mad Max #'s. I know someone's going to come along and say "stats aren't everything", but in this case...they are. Shooting like that is a major hinderance to winning, period.

10. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

Apparently Golden State has started trade talks with Dallas about Stephen Jackson and they're looking to dump Monta Ellis... both for CAP SPACE.

Houston Trades: Carl Landry, Brian Cook, Brent Barry, Joey Dorsey, Shane Battier and 2010 1st round pick
    Houston Receives: Monta Ellis, Rudy Fernandez and Travis Outlaw

Dallas Trades: Shawne Williams, Matt Carroll and 2011 1st round pick
    Dallas Receives: Stephen Jackson

Golden State Trades: Stephen Jackson and Monta Ellis
    Golden State Receives: Carl Landry, Brian Cook, Brent Barry, Joey Dorsey, Shawne Williams, Matt Carroll, Houstons 2010 1st round pick and Dallas 2011 1st round pick

Portland Trades: Rudy Fernandez and Travis Outlaw
    Portland Receives: Shane Battier

Dallas
    C: Eric Dampier/Drew Gooden
    PF: Dirk Nowvitzki/Tim Thomas
    SF: Shawn Marion/Josh Howard
    SG: Stephen Jackson/Jason Terry
    PG: Jason Kidd/JJ Barea

Golden State
    C: Andris Bierdnis/Ronny Turiaf/Joey Dorsey
    PF: Anthony Randolph/Carl Landry/Brian Cook
    SF: Correy Maggette/Brendan Wright/Devean George
    SG: Anthony Morrow/Kelenna Azubike/Shawne Williams
    PG: Stephen Curry/Acie Law/Speedy Claxton

Portland
    C: Greg Oden/Joel Pryzbilla
    PF: Lamarcus Aldridge
    SF: Shane Battier/Nicholas Batum
    SG: Brandon Roy/Martell Webster
    PG: Andre Miller/Steve Blake/Jerryd Bayless

Houston
    C: David Andersen/Chuck Hayes/Pops Mensah Bonsu
    PF: Luis Scola/Travis Outlaw
    SF: Trevor Ariza/Chase Budinger/James White
    SG: Monta Ellis/Rudy Fernandez/Jermaine Taylor
    PG: Aaron Brooks/Kyle Lowry

Injured: Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming

11. Charles Jones

Charles Jones Member

I would do it for Tracy personally I dont think Tracy will ever play for the Rockets again and Jackson gives us what artest gave us but a much better and SMARTER. If anything this would set us up nicely when Yao returns. Jackson played with Tim Duncan so he knows how to play with a great post player in Yao.

09'-10': :cool:
    Brooks/Lowery
    Ariza/Taylor/White
    Jackson/Battier/Budinger
    Scola/Landry/Pops
    Anderson/Chuck

10'-11': :eek:
    Brooks/Lowery
    Ariza/Taylor
    Jackson/Battier/Budinger
    Scola/Landry/Pops
    Yao/Anderson/Chuck

12. Charles Jones

Charles Jones Member

this isnt 2k9 man and travis outlaw at the 4 no way u saw how landry dominated him in the playoffs and landry is a undersized 4

13. RHostetler82

RHostetler82 Member

Let's take a look Morey. Get it done.

14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I never said we would not be in playoff contention. We don't have Yao this year most likely,so that's moot. I didn't one time say that JT or CB was going to be better than Jackson. What I said was see if those guys can play. I like Jackson but at the moment we are not one player from contending. And I just don't like his contract. I would be willing to bet Morey doesn't like it either. 4 more years just scares me. It's impossible for you to know whether his game will fall off over the next couple of years.

Four more years for Yao and Tracy? We don't know if either one of those guys will be here for 4 more years. Yao I could see. Tracy I highly doubt, unless you know something I don't.

And yes Cuban spends money, Does that make him a "fantastic" owner? Letting Nash go in his prime was not very smart, two MVPs says enough for that. Or maybe him giving everyone an Xbox in the locker room makes him fantastic. Buss is a fantastic owner, Auerbach was a fantastic owner.

15 years ago or not on a championship is still scoreboard, getting there once is not winning. Les will do everything he can to put a contender on the floor.
    I know we both want this team to win, this is not an attack on you we just differ in what we want

15. Pete the Cheat

I like everything Jackson brings to the table except for his contract...

31 y/o with 4 more years on a contract that tops off at 10MM...that is going to be an albatross for whatever team ends up fronting the tab (and heres hoping its the Mavs!).

look at the types of moves Morey has made and this seems highly unlikely to happen..

this team has no problem shelling out cash for picks and the like, but long term contracts that eat up cap space on the roster have been non-existent thus far in his tenure.

16. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Warrior's are also trying to trade Monta Ellis. I would love to have him, he's only 23. His contract is meh, but we might be able to get him for cheap.

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

It's really not as bad as you think. He isn't getting paid that much more than Battier. He is 31 so he has about 3 really good years left. Then his contract becomes an asset (expiring contract).

My main concern is his turnovers, which might be just due to him being a major ball handler and Golden State's frantic pace. We should see that drop in Adelman's system.

The other concern I have is cap flexibility. Although, I think that he is actually worth his salary, this move might hurt our chances of acquiring the star player we want next season. Also, it might affect our chances of re-upping some of our core players, such as Scola.

Morey has a lot to think about.

18. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

How about Dallas gives up there 2010 first and we give up our 2011 1st? I'd do that deal.

19. crustyjack

crustyjack Member

Exactly, He is in his prime. Morey needs to decide if we are in it to win now. We need to deal some of our expiring contracts our they WILL go against our cap...because we have too many...

20. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Landry/Barry/Cook for Jackson/Morrow.

GS gets an athletic big that can get up & down the floor in Landry & 2 expiring contracts in exchange for a disgruntled 31 year old player & a SG that they are over loaded with.

Houston gets a veteran swing man that might have 3 good years left in him & his $10+ million expiring contract in the 4th year that should open up some doors for trades for us. However, the potential gem for us in this deal is a young SG in Anthony Morrow. He's only played one year, but he shot over 40% from the field & 3pt range. Given solid rotation minutes, he rebounds well, gets assists & steals consistently, & the occasional blocked shot. All this in just his rookie season.

Landry is part of a log jam at PF for us & is one of our better trade assets.