1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

"Hypothetical Trades"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by popeye, May 18, 2000.

1. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Yes to #2 and #3 and No to all the rest, just giving up too much for too little in return.

How bout proposing some trades if Mobes says I'm outta here, that is what can we get for mobes if he wants a sign and trade

Smeg

------------------
    CUT Tino
    Isn't it amazing how quickly everyone did a Cat Backflip!!!!!

2. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

I'll ride with my produce partner (thacabbage) and vote the same as him.

davo,

aelliott and grummett nitpick as much as I do. Any reason why I got special billing?

Mango

------------------
    Arch Stanton lives!

Donate Blood!

3. davo

davo Contributing Member

Sorry Mango - it was just a reference to your old signature - when you were the "Serious Police". Nothing else intended [​IMG]

Clutch - aren't you just the master of intrigue - subtle hints, insinuation, baiting comments....hmmm thacabbage

------------------
    http://rocketdavo.tripod.com

4. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

davo,

No apology needed. I am proud to occupy that particular niche on this BBS.

Mango

------------------
    Arch Stanton lives!

Donate Blood!

5. T money

T money Member

who in the hell would trade wiz and cato and #9 pick For ratf and a #20. you have to spasing and crazy to make a trade like dat.
    --------------------------------------------
    Juvi Bling Bling

------------------

6. Gdub

Gdub Member

I'd do deal #6 if Martin/Swift would provide a strong shotblocking presence in the paint. I like Doleac's outside game & would provide the same benefits having a Sabonis or Laimbeer would have. With #10 pick, Johnson, Miller, or Alexander may be there. I'd take Doleac as a role player over Kandi any day of the week. We've got enough offensive stars, we need players that can make open shots & create spacing. Who else saw the Orlando-Lakers game early in the year where Doleac went for 25 or so.

------------------

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I also think # 6 isnt too bad cause at the third pick in the lotto, if lets say Chicago takes Mihm and the Clippers take Martin, Swift would still be there. Also, at number 10, you could still end up with someone like a Mike Miller/Darius Miles or now even a MoPete to make up for the loss of Mobley. All this and you save a whole boatload of money at the same time for next year when the team could go after someone big. I mean I dont think this makes us a better team next year. I think our record would remain somewhat the same. But we would be developing 1 superstar(Swift) and one possible really good player (the number 10 pick), be able to spend money on a good FA the following year, and once again get a good pick in the lotto. Basically, we'd be in a position similar to Orlando this year, but the team we would already have would have much more potential. I couldnt resist #6 if youre looking at possible dynasty building way into the future.

------------------
    Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!

8. Plato

Plato Contributing Member

defintely 2, and maybe 6. i think there is a serious question to ask before we answer any of these questions:

What is the projected timeline for rebuilding?

basically, a rebuilding process consists of getting the major foundational elements through a draft or signing of free agents within at the most three years. once the major parts are there, chemistry must form and other essentials will be added as time shows their need.

SO, where are the Rockets?
    we have one major building block (francis) and two solid role players (cat and SA). everything else is expendable. picking up a KMart or Swift may be that other major foundation around which we could begin the chemistry stage. then again, draft picks are ALWAYS risks.

queston: since hakeem is retiring after next year, how does our cap situation look then?

if the situation is very good, maybe we should try to clear out cap room in the off season, get some more draft picks, and focus on getting a guy like Webber after next season. maybe we should even consider acquiring future draft picks.

another question: people say next year's draft is thick, if so, are there any promising centers? who are the top prospects?

maybe #6 is a good option in this case.

either way, i think the long term plan is not too bad. look at the lakers, they got shaq through free agency (like we could get webber) and have built around him. they will be champions, probably several times in the future (maybe this year).

------------------

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

i not spasin'. daz cuz u think da numba nine pik alwayz endz up bein' a grate pik (damn it's difficult typing like that):

Number 9 picks of the past few years

1989 - Tom Hammonds (big whoop)
    1990 - Willie Burton (big whoop)
    1991 - Stacey Augmon (big whoop)
    1992 - Clarence Weatherspoon (ok, better whoop)
    1993 - Rodney Rogers (late-blooming 6th man whoop)
    1994 - Eric Montross (big whoop)
    1995 - Ed O'Bannon (big whoop)
    1996 - Samaki Walker (big whoop)
    1997 - Tracy McGrady (good pick)
    1998 - Dirk Nowitzki (good pick)
    1999 - Shawn Marion (good pick)

Out of all these players there are about 4 players worth anything. Of those, I'd only take McGrady and Nowitzki as definitely having more of an impact than Ratliff if they were traded to the Rockets.

------------------
    ?

10. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

DoD, you the phatest crazy arsed spaz that i know

------------------
    CUT Tino
    Isn't it amazing how quickly everyone did a Cat Backflip!!!!!

11. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I'm with most everyone else. Yes to #2 and #6 (if Swift was available at the Magic pick). No to all the others, though #1 made me think a little.

I just really do not like the idea of giving up Mobley, but I went with #6 simply because the trade would get us Swift, get rid of both Cato and Walt's contracts, and still leave us with a viable starting center and a top ten pick.

I may be in the minority, but I don't really want Ratliff or Camby as our center, though they'd be pretty good at PF. Their weak side shot blocking is great, but they're giving away 100 pounds to some centers they could potentially guard in the post. Also, I must really be missing something with PJ Brown, because #5 just looks straight up hysterically lopsided in Miami's favor. I hope that one's not being talked about, cuz that would be a HUGE step back in the rebuilding process IMO.

------------------

[This message has been edited by oakdogg (edited May 19, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by oakdogg (edited May 19, 2000).]

12. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

I'd do #2 (although I doubt LAC would do it), especially if we could add another team into the deal who wanted Nesby, and got a SF or a later top 10 draft pick to nab Miles or Miller.

I would only do #6, if we knew we could get Swift at #3, and Orlando agreed not to take Miles or Miller if he was available at #9, so we could get him at #10.

I wouldn't do the others. We would lose on all the other trades, in my opinion. Besides, Mobely isnt' going to sign with us when he could get more money, and then let us trade him somewhere else, especially LAC. The Rockets don't usually treat their players like that. (I know, we shipped off Willis, but we usually don't do stuff like that.) That's why players want to come here, and deals work out in our favor continually.

------------------
    the more I know, the more I know I don't know...