1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Michael Vick Signs with Philadelphia Eagles

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by moestavern19, Aug 13, 2009.

1. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

maybe mcnabb could have done something else, but to think he had "just as much to do" with that fiasco as TO is just wrong.

signed, Garcia & Romo.

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

My thing is, the Eagles benched McNabb last year without telling him. He's been the subject of trade rumors the past several years. It's pretty much known the fans in Philly have lukewarm feelings for the guy. The Eagles are known for not giving into and parting ways with players that are aging and/or have egos and if the report was true then McNabb fits both.

I just don't think he has enough pull to tell the coaches when to start and stop using certain players.

3. Shaud

Shaud Member

Yeah I already admitted I exaggerated that.

But he never did anything to Romo while he played for Dallas. He basically complained about Jason Garrett not Tony Romo. Unless I forgot an incident which could be possible.

I only remember him saying a few things about Romo after he left the team.

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Any team who gets disrespected TWICE by the same player and signs that same one player should be hated.

5. Shaud

Shaud Member

http://boards.philadelphiaeagles.com/index.php?showtopic=555617&st=100

Pun there is a link to the topic but you have to sign up to the board to read it. I'm too lazy to sign in to look at the thread just reading what a guy from the Falcons MB has posted. I'll post some quotes that he has posted talking about it.

QUOTE (GameGuy369 @ Aug 28 2009, 12:32 AM) *
    I will say at some point I saw on the sidelines McNabb kinda give a throatslash to Marty about something being enough. I dont think he was mad at Vick, but mad at the use. McNabb never had a chance to develop any rhythm.

QUOTE (DU Bird Fan @ Aug 28 2009, 12:32 AM) *
    The switching in and out is definitely a concern. Hopefully they'll find a better way to use Vick. McNabb is such a rhythm QB so that has me concerned. I can just see him hitting 6 or 7 straight passes, then Vick coming in for a play that goes for a loss and all of a sudden McNabb goes into a funk. Hopefully they use Vick more when McNabb is struggling and the offense needs a spark.

QUOTE (Eagles_Section115_Row29 @ Aug 28 2009, 07:38 AM) *
    How can this supposed leader be such a baby? So now Vick is the excuse for when Mcnabb is throwing wild passes? What about the 10 seasons prior to him?

QUOTE (greenbleeder03 @ Aug 28 2009, 08:50 AM) *
    I've always been a big McNabb supporter... but I don't like the fact that he's whining already, after like 3 series into the first game? Donny needs to stop acting like a baby, and do what he needs to do. You shut up and do what the coaches tell you. I don't see this ending well. Donny's feelings are going to get hurt and it's going to blow up.

6. Lil Pun

I haven't heard anything about it from any credible news sources and I believe ESPN would be running wild with it if they even got a sniff of a story like this. We'll see though.....

7. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Dude... mark that things NSFCF. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

NSFCowboyFans

8. Shaud

Shaud Member

Skip Bayless and Rob Parker discussed it. I'm not sure where they got the info from. There was video of it that looked like McNabb was barking(no pun intended) at Vick on the sidelines and then went over to the OC.

9. Lil Pun

I have an account. After, reading a big chunk of the posts there I think this is a non-story.

10. Lil Pun

Yeah, I watched the game and saw that but I really don't think there was anything to it. I could be wrong. We'll see though.....

11. Shaud

Shaud Member

You are probably right. McNabb probably just wanted to get the timing down with his players that he knows will be playing for the first 6 games of the season in the only preseason game where you really get to play extended minutes with the starters.

12. rocketball8

rocketball8 Contributing Member

Lil Pun,

This morning on Mike & Mike in the drive in to work - they were discussing a report from Sal Palontonio (sp?) that McNabb had a discussion on the sideline with Vick and also talked about the slashing of the throat to the OC about using Vick was enough. I would think Sal is relible as he seems to be the Eagle corresspondent for ESPN. Now Mike & Mike were stating that they think McNabb was upset about using Vick too early because McNabb was basically saying that he felt the base offense needed to get on the same page.

Again take this for what it is worth as I only heard it on the radio and could have missed something. (Full disclosure - as a Cowboy fan - I hope there is some drama to your team especially after the 'Boys got their butt handed to them last year :mad: )

It will be interesting to see if there is anything to the story or just some media overhype.

13. SwoLy-D

No, they won't. They're not FAVRE or Yankees. :eek:

14. Lil Pun

It appears to me McNabb was upset with how Vick was used, not that he was used. Again, I think it is a non-story and is getting blown way out of proportion, on the Internet anyway.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/28/mcnabb-says-vick-usage-upset-eagles-rhythm/

A lot of effort and air has been expended in explaining how the mere presence of quarterback Mike Vick makes the Eagles offense a nightmare for opposing defensive coordinators.

Less of the same has been spent examining the cost of getting Vick involved for the rest of the Eagles offense.

Thursday night, the Eagles' first offense was too often sloppy and out of sync in the first half against the Jaguars.

After the game, Donovan McNabb took care not to tread on the implementation of plays involving Vick. But he also clearly stated that shuffling Vick in and out -- at least in this first game -- was disruptive.

Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer relayed this answer from McNabb when asked if he felt the Eagles' offense needed to get back to basics near the end of the first half, after Vick was sprinkled in liberally during the first few drives.

"Absolutely, absolutely. I did," said McNabb. "In that situation, it's needed. I know what we were trying to do [with Vick] and we were able to get that done. I thought it was time for us to kind of get our offense going."

McNabb then pointed out that, running their normal offense, the Eagles began to move the ball better.

"I think that's very important in a game, whether it's in the regular season or the preseason, to get that rhythm going. If you're going to show different looks, make sure it's the right time. That's what the preseason's for to make sure you know when that time is and we'll get that time together. I thought it was important at that time to get out and run our offense."

When asked if it was hard to get a rhythm with Vick mixing in, McNabb said, "It was tough. I think in any situation, honestly, when you're trying something new, it's important that you get into a rhythm first and then try to work it in there in the offense. Offensively, we just can't get that going consistently and I thought we did some great things that presented pressure to the defense but at some point you have to get into a rhythm and get things going down the field and move the chains."

Eagles coach Andy Reid was asked about the rhythm of the offense regarding Vick and said, "If you're going to use that a little but, then you have to work it in there. That's what we're going to do as we go down the road here. I expect the guys to make that part of the rhythm and make it work. That will happen there."

Certainly this was a night for trial-and-error in Philly. And it will likely get tuned up. But it's also worth pointing out that, the third preseason game is the one in which you want your team to closely resemble what it's going to be when the regular season starts.

The Eagles are implementing gadgetry that would have been better worked in during OTAs, minicamps, and training camp. But it wasn't. And it's worth wondering: (1) how long it will take; (2) how much it will impact a team with Super Bowl aspirations in the early part of a season that, for the Eagles, begins in 16 days.

15. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

16. Lil Pun

Looks like he'll be back in Week 3.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4442627

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell announced Thursday afternoon that Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Michael Vick will be eligible to play in the third week of the regular season.

Goodell and Vick had met Thursday morning for 45 to 50 minutes in New Jersey to discuss when Vick might be reinstated.

"Hopefully we can have a success story here, which would be good for society in general," Goodell said. "He's realsitic about the challenges ahead. And anxious to play football."

Goodell said he did discuss with Vick the report that he was seen drinking an alcoholic beverage in a hotel restaurant. Goodell said it's not a violation of his probation.

"We discussed it with Michael today. It highlights the tremendous microscope this man is under," Goodell said. "He understands he has little margin for error. It served as a useful lesson."

The Eagles play the New York Jets in their final preseason game Thursday night at the Meadowlands. Eagles coach Andy Reid said backup Kevin Kolb will start the game, and Vick would get in during the first half, as well as start the second half.

Goodell said on Tuesday that he has been talking to Vick on a weekly basis. "A lot of those issues I'm focusing on are off the field," Goodell said. "How is he dealing with the transition? ... Does he have the right people around him helping him make decisions?"

17. Lil Pun

Anybody notice how you hardly heard anything about Vick addressing school kids yesterday?

18. SwoLy-D

If Vick returns to playing football and people cheer for him, the terrorists WIN. :p

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I was disappointed with his call for letters from the kids with suggestions to help him learn the new playbook.

20. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

anyone else notice whats wrong with this SwoLy-D post?

GOTCHA!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D