1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Hypothetical Trades"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by popeye, May 18, 2000.

1. popeye

popeye Member

<center>"Hypothetical Trades"</center>

<center>Although they may include players presently being sought or discussed by the Rockets, they are not indicative of pending trades. Just indicate whether you could live with them or not and a brief reason to support your answer.</center>

1. Olowokandi, Nesby, #1 Pick From Clippers FOR Cato, Mobley #9

2. Olowokandi, Nesby, #1 Pick From Clippers FOR Cato, Drew, Walt, #9, #38

3. Ratliff, #20 From Sixers FOR Cato, Walt, #9, #38

4. Camby, Kurt Thomas, #22 From Knicks for Cato, Walt, Mobley, #38

5. PJ Brown, From Miami FOR Cato, Mobley, #9

6. Doleac, #3, #10 Magic FOR Cato, Mobley, Walt, #9

Gentlemen, start yourt engines!

[This message has been edited by popeye (edited May 18, 2000).]

2. davo

davo Contributing Member

I don't mean to be overcomplicating, but in all but two trade scenarios you include Mobley, who is a free agent. Correct me if I'm wrong, but;
    a) A sign and trade cannot be done as part of a multiplayer trade.
    b) If we sign Mobley, we must wait 3 months before trading him which would preclude us from involving him in any trades for draft picks.

I'm Risking intervention from the serious police with this post. I hope Mango is not watching.

------------------
    http://rocketdavo.tripod.com

3. RocketSiv

RocketSiv Member

I could probably live with all of them simply because I have learned to live with every trade we have made in the past. I'm sure I could find some kind of light in these trade. However I do not want to give up Mobely, no way , no how. The number 3 trade is not bad but I am kind of hesitant of Ratliff since rumors persisted last offseason that he had bad knees. However number 2 is the absolute best. Perfect for us. We get a center to replace Cato, we get a player that can play the 3 or the 4 and can destroy Scott Pippen, and we get our so desired number 1 pick which we could draft Swift(I hope).

------------------

4. hakola

hakola Member

I would definitely do #2...
    I could live with #6...
    I would hesitate to do #1 and #3
    I would not do #5 and #4

------------------

5. Prophet

Prophet Member

#1 - fair and good trade for both sides.

#2 - doubt the Clips would do this one.

#3 - Phils would get the better of the trade here. Rockets would be raped.

#4 - see #3, just substitute Knicks for Phils.

#5 - Rockets would get not only raped here but also be laughed at. No way this deal get done. If the Rockets pulled this traded, they pretty much hand the Heat the East.

#6 - Now this is a hard one. I can see the Rockets do this only if the player they want from the draft is still available at #3. Giving up both Cato and Mobley is still a tough thing to do. Too tough for me to call, that's why I'm no GM.

6. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Pops,

If the Rockets do your 4th options, the Knicks should thank God for hitting the lottery.

I watch every Knick game and let me tell you that Cato is WAY better than Camby and Kurt Thomas has a very bad temper, a very short fuse and is very slow. Not only that, he disappears in big games. Actually, so does Camby on occasion. Look at his performance against the Raptors and the Heat this year.

No way would I want either of them here. Trust me on this one.

------------------
    Live Rocketball. Breathe Rocketball. Die with Rocketball.

7. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Hell, NO. If we have to give up that much, we better be getting Odom.

Hell, YES. We give up hardly anything for a whole 'lotta something.

Nope. (And that means a lot considering I'm the president of the "Theo Ratliff Fan Club".)

Probably not. I have a hard time giving up Mobley.

I wouldn't even consider this. You're trading a budding star in Mobley, a young player in the #9, and young trade bait in Cato, for a 31 year old.

No. Again, I have a hard time trading Mobley for so little.

------------------
    "I don't care how tall the guy is, trade his ass!"

8. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

I'm for any trade that gets us a top 3 pick and dumps Cato's salary without taking on an equivalent amount. In other words, no Big Country! I really like #6 because you dump Walt's and Cato's and I didn't even look up Doleac's. Doleac can hit the jumper that heypartner mentioned in the other thread.

------------------

9. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

No to any trade that involves losing Mobley.

That leaves options 2 and 3. #2 is good in the sense that all we need to get is a solid 4 to start (or mentor) for KT. #3 is kinda cool considering how Rudy and CD are great at finding gems after the lotto picks are gone. But then we'd need a 4 AND a 3.

It worries me that you presented all those scenarios that have us losing Mobley. I will be VERY upset if we lose him.

------------------
    RocketFuel is taking the summer off!

10. pebbleholder

pebbleholder Member

1. no, we are getting ripped
    2. yes in a second, we are doing the ripping
    3. never. Ratliff would be a good catch, but the price is to high.
    4. no
    5. no
    6. no, b/c I think Mobley has a chance to be a star.

------------------

11. popeye

popeye Member

Shuold have included the following rules.

1. Try to keep it simple.
    2. Assume everyone can be traded. Including Mobes. (Three months is not long to wait ,Dave, But who is to say we just make his trade a seperate deal, unassiciated from the others. If the others falls within the "value for value" ruile (CBA), it can be done very easily.)
    3. I quickly checked the CBA and Salary Scale. Most of these should work out, especially with the trade exception. If not refer to #2. LOL
    4. The point of the excercise is to vote as to your feeling on each of them. I will add a few more later.

12. MManal

MManal Member

The only one I'd be willing to do is the 2nd one with the Rockets getting Olowkandi, Nesby and 1st pick. I am not sure if the Clippers would do it in this form, but I think its a working start. The deal the NikeStrad suggested earlier, Cato, Thomas, Drew, 9th pick for Olowokandi, 1st pick I think they would be more likely willing to do. As far as the cap implications, the Clippers are sitting at 9 mil under the cap right now and will be even further under cap after Derek Anderson and Maurice Taylor walk so they can take on extra salary. They would replace Taylor with KT, Anderson with the drafting of Courtney Alexander or Morris Peterson, add Drew to the PG position where they have nothing and upgrade at center with Cato over Olowokandi. The Rockets would atleast have a big body in the middle with Kandi, and then would get the player they want in Stromile Swift.

As far as Cuttino Mobley goes, trading him seems highly unlikely. It would be very awkward if Mobley signs a 2 yr extension on August 1 then all of a sudden they deal him 3 months later in the first week of the season. It would anger Francis and make the Rockets look like a terrible organization. Plus, if they make a huge move like this after training camp, it would be very detrimental to team chemistry. They need to add pieces to this team during the offseason and then let this team grow together in the preseason and regular season.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

13. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

MM-Add our 2nd rounder, and their #18 to the deal, and I think that'd be a great deal both ways.

Now, my opinions:
    1. No....I'm not that enthralled with Nesby, and losing Cat over it with the #9 would be too much.
    2. Yes.....Kandi, Swift, Nesby for Cato, backup PG, and some mediocre starters
    3. Nah....I think Cato-Ratliff will be even in the end.
    4. No....would give us WAAAY too many mediocre big men, and make us somewhat weak at 2/3
    5. NO WAY!! I wouldn't trade PJ for Mobley straight up
    6. Toughest one. If we turned #3 into Swift, and #10 into Alexander or Miller or if we felt he could play SF, Moiso, this is a deal. Imagine putting together: Francis-Alexander-Anderson-Swift-Doleac as our lineup

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

14. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

I'd only do the second one. We are looking at Cato as if he were Benoit Benjamin or Kevin Duckworth. At the least Cato will grow into a shotblocker which everyone wants. My question is how the HELL is all of these trades gonna happen when the contracts are so much different?
    1. I do like nesby and candi but thats 2 much 2 give up
    2. love the trade but it aint gonna happen
    3. I love Theos D but he aint big enough for us to reward the sixers so greatly with CATO, AND our #9
    4. I don't like either player
    5. This is the worst one of all. Pj Brown is an avg player who can easily be replaced, Miami gets 2 young players one with untapped talent and the other who is just emerging. AND they get our #9.
    6. I would do this trade if we didn't have to give up Mobes and Walt, they could give us Ben Wallace instead as I am not to big on Micheal.
    Other than #2 I would rather stand pat and just get our own pick. Unless we get a steal then I think we should keep our team intact, a thing that we overlook is how we destroy team chemistry when we make all these big trades. I don't think this team can take another Francis type trade. Yes another franchise player would be a huge plus BUT If it costs what it did last year then I think it would hurt us more this time around. Trading Mobley and Cato for say picks 1-3 is a huge hit that we might not be able to recover from. I think Cato, Drew, KT, Los, and maybe Walt could be moved without hurting team chemistry. However a package of all of them together for picks would hurt us for a while. In my oppinion the only reason we recovered from losing Othella and Dick was partly because Steve was a superstar right out the box(no assembly required) and because of the aquisition of Shandon. Now if we trade Cato and Mobes AND our #9 what we get better damn well be a young superstar or we are better off with what we got. Well thats just how I c it. Feel free 2 disagree.

------------------
    "We need to fockass".....Dream back in the day

15. treeman

treeman Member

I know this is a bit redundant, but no to all except #2. In my mind, resigning Cat is priority #1; I think that the backcourt combination of Steve/Mooch and Cat/Shandon has the potential to be a backbreaker for years to come in the league, and breaking it up now would be a huge mistake.

This is just my opinion, but I think that because of all the draft hysteria everyone's losing sight of exactly what what we NEED, and instead focusing on what we WANT. We NEED a big presence inside, period, and Cato has just flat been a disappointment. But everyone here understands that. What I'd point out is that we don't need just that big presence, we need it IN COMBINATION WITH our existing backcourt. Tear apart one aspect to build up another, and you're still stuck with a half-empty glass...

I think that our current backcourt is possibly our best bait for landing that big FA we all know we need, possibly as powerful bait as the trade exception. Tear it up, and the ONLY reason anyone comes here is for the money - and the Rox simply don't have enough of it right now. It will likely be a combination of factors that brings any big FA here, not just the bucks.

Anyway, to cut the rambling short, I'd say yes to #2, and no to the rest (although #6 is a tough one - if you could somehow take Cat out of the equation!) To be perfectly honest though, I'm a bit ambivalent about trading Walt - maybe his chronic slumping days really are over...

I know that this is a somewhat emotionally-driven opinion, but I still wouldn't trade Cat for anything - at least, not in this stage of his career.

------------------

16. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Trade 1 - This one sounds pretty intriguing. We'd be able to take Kenyon Martin, get a quality center for the future and a decent guard. Personally I'd rather we throw in Drew or Walt and let them keep Nesby, but we get Odom, like thecabbage said. As is I would have to choose right now in order to get the #1 pick....a hesitant no. I think we can do better.

Trade 2 - Dump the salaries, get the defensive center we need and Kenyon. OH YEA! OH YEAAAA!

Trade 3 - Hell no!! Ratliff would be a nice addition, but once again, not at the expence of team chemistry and our moving out of the lottery. I mean what did we do all that losing for [​IMG]

Trade 4 - Hmmm....no. Simply because giving up Mobley(having to be signed then traded) would not bode well for the Rockets. Maybe if they threw in Allen Houston instead of Kurt Thomas...maybe.

Trade 5 - No dice. Too many good players and a good pick for only one good player.

Am I being difficult on these trades or what?

Trade 6 - Wow, now that is interesting. 2 top 10 picks and a role player in Doleac. I wouldn't like giving up Mobley(after signing), but the salary cap room saved would be awesome in years to come.....uhhh, damn! Tell them to make it Bo Outlaw instead of Doleac and we give them Drew in addition to everyone else and its a deal!

------------------
    We need some meat in the post!

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

No way. You're giving up too much for what you're getting in return. I'm not as gung-ho about Kandi-man's skills as others seem to be.

Much better. This is one I'd look to pull the trigger on. You're giving up a backup PG, a bloated bench center's contract, a probable meaningless 2nd round pick, and a hot-and-cold SF in order to exchange #1 for #9.

Hmm. I'm not sure about this one. I may make this trade simply because I like this guy's game. It depends on who's at #9. [​IMG]

No way in Hades I'd make this trade. Mobley's got more trade value than that especially in a package deal plus you're giving up Cato on top of it (for those of you falling out of your chairs, notice I didn't say anything about not trading Mobley, I just said, he's got more trade value than this...LOL!)

Pffft. No way. Giving up too much.

Pffft. No way. Giving up too much.

------------------
    ?

[This message has been edited by Dr of Dunk (edited May 18, 2000).]

18. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Anyone notice thacabbage is pretty smart on trades? Good job not suckering on #3 for your #1 guy... bad deal. My personal opinion -- I agree with your assesment, and the answers of others here as well, that I wouldn't go for any of them with the exception of #2.

But #2 is just way too good to be true [​IMG]

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

[This message has been edited by Clutch (edited May 18, 2000).]

19. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

When does the freakin season start? [​IMG]

------------------
    You just want to be on the side thats winning.

20. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Same here- no to all but #2, which would never happen.

This isn't a video game, or fantasy GM. Equal value isn't enough. That's worth repeating: equal value isn't enough. I think the reason several people had a hard time with #6 is because we could get equal value. It's silly to trade for players as good as yours; keep the ones you have. We should trade to improve the team, not to play musical chairs with players.