1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PS3 SLIM + $299 Price Drop = Start September

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by yobod, Aug 18, 2009.

1. yobod

yobod Member

[​IMG]

Kaz Hirai, head of all things PlayStation announced that the long-rumored slim PlayStation 3 Slim will be in stores the first week of September.

Hirai noted that it will be have the same features and function of the current PS3, with a 120 gb drive. It will be 33 percent smaller, 36 percent lighter.

The unit will cost $299 in the U.S., 299 euros, 29980 yen.

It was widely speculated among the gaming press that Sony would announce a slim version of the PlayStation 3. Recurring rumors of price drops and supposed spy shots fueled speculation for months.

Sony's next major gaming press event is Tokyo Game Show, which begins in late September.

http://kotaku.com/5339968/sony-announces-slim-ps3-+-it-lives-this-september#viewcomments

2. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Sweet, about damn time if you ask me.

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

IBTCYFR :D

Hahahaha...! vivi... er, I mean, Chow_Yun_Fat already posted that ahead of you, sir. :cool:

4. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

Said it in the GamesCon thread:

I'll definitely be buying a PS3 Slim the moment backwards compatibility is reintroduced.

5. limedeal

limedeal Member

Sounds great! I'm just wondering, though, why it's 299 Euros and $299.. those don't equal each other

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Oftentimes, things cost more in Europe and Asia than they do int he U.S.

7. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Looks ugly...

the best PS3 is the original PS3 the 60 GB.. the one I own.. best one to ever come out and will remain the best PS3 to ever come out. :D

8. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I need to get in on the current gen before they move onto the next one. This might be a direction I go.

9. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

I wonder if Sony is going to use this new model and price drop as a kind of reboot for the PS3 franchise. There are a handful of A+ quality games coming out in 2010; Sony probably wants to start migrating all those PS2 owners over to PS3s.

10. yobod

yobod Member

I've been critical of Sony's marketing strategy. They have many features that set them apart from XBOX 360 yet they do not utilize this advantage one bit.

-XBOX 360 charges $80 for a wireless card
    -XBOX 360 does not come with HDMI capability unless ELITE edition
    -XBOX 360 does not have blu-ray
    -XBOX 360 controllers come with AA batteries not built in battery packs

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HAtwp5HmkXo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HAtwp5HmkXo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

If I was Sony I would hammer the message yet their ad campaigns are so pointless

11. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

Non-elites have HDMI. I have one. :p

Your other points stand.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Street Fighters prefer Xbox live. we've been playing SFA edition since Xbox1.

component video rules! :)

actually the wireless adapter is a rip off.

13. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

Plus, the PSN doesn't charge for online play. While the hardcore gamers aren't going to mind paying $50 a year because the 360 has more online features and is the better overall online experience, casual gamers are probably going to be more interested in the money savings.

I know that was a selling point for me. I like to play online occasionally, but don't do so enough to want to pay $50 per year for the life of my PS3. Free online probably saved me ~$300, considering I'll probably use my PS3 for 6+ years.

14. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

The wireless issue I'll give you. I bought one and don't regret it. However, you're just plain wrong on the HDMI issue.

Blu-ray is not something I look for in a gaming system because I don't like using my game system to watch DVDs or Blu-ray. I have a separate Blu-ray player so the need isn't really there.

Also, on average you can get an Xbox controller for about 15 bucks cheaper than a PS3 Dualshock controller. With that savings, you can buy TWO rechargeable battery packs which can be used with any 360 controller.

Furthermore, anyone who would take PSN over Live to save 6 bucks a month are cheating themselves out of the much better online experience of Live.

15. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

I might get this PS3.

The only thing I hate about the XBOX wireless controllers is that they always want me to RECONNECT it....

Why??

Are my AA batteries to light to fit in the battery pack???

16. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

Good. Now when Square Enix FINALLY decides to remake Final Fantasy VII, I'll know that it won't cost me that much to get a PS3 solely for one game.

17. yobod

yobod Member

so XBOX360 now has HDMI, but it still outputs 1080i

It's not about what you personally like, its about whats the better value. You probably purchased that Blu-Ray player for at least $200. Your XBOX 360 and blu ray player together cost you over $500. Its about value.

I'm talking about what comes in the box when you buy a system.

Some people plan on owning the system for years, 5 years. $6 x 60 months is $360. Which is the price of a PS3+Game

XBOX is great but you cant deny that PS3 has advantages it fails to capitalize on

18. rocketier1

rocketier1 Member

looks ugly but the the pros are the price drop and less energy consumption so that means it'll exert less heat!

still like my fat ps3 though :D

19. yobod

yobod Member

I stand corrected, Microsoft has installed a software update to support 1080p

20. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Good move. I know the slim is getting some hate online for being ugly, but I don't think it looks that bad. And you've got to like the smaller form factor (and the price).

Still though, I'm pretty happy with my 80gb system. If I fall in love with the slim when I see it, I might change my tune.

Right, but clearly a lot of people feel differenty about what that 'value' is. Like for halfbreed, blu ray had no value so it wasn't something he considered.

Value is as personal as what a person 'likes'.