1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Yahoo Sports] Von Wafer signs with Olympiakos

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jsmee2000, Aug 9, 2009.

1. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

Potential means that you have room for improvement. I look at Wafer as damaged goods as he bounced around many teams and a player with limited ceiling for improvements. In other words, had we signed Wafer...we know the best that we can get. Therefore, the underlying question was whether it was worth paying over a certain dollar amount for Wafer considering what he has to offer. Obviously, the answer to the question for the Rockets was no.

2. zhangstein

zhangstein Member

You mean tinos :)

3. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Hahaha thats an easy question to answer. How about he has more than one great season and actually does something when he has a chance to in the playoffs then the potential option will go away. Consistent is the best thing in the NBA.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Actually he is now a 3rd string guy who gets into the game rarely, he should be at the league minimum now.

And I am not baiting you, just pointing out that sometimes timing makes all the difference.

You were saying Morey should be frugal, but in the case of Chuck, a very limited player, he is overpaying him.....

Howerver, at the time, it seemed like a fair deal.....timing is everything.....

And for the record, I don't begrudge anyone getting a good deal, they should get whatever they can.

DD

5. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Gortat has sucked every single year until last year, and even last year he was not great, he got paid a butt load because of potential.

Sometimes it has nothing to do with performance etc....just the other team's needs.

DD

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

You may have written it elsewhere in this thread, but how much do you think the Rockets should have been willing to offer to resign Wafer?

7. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Personally I think between $1.1 and $1.5m........which still would not have gotten it done.

I am not begrudging the Rockets for establishing a value and sticking to it, I am just amazed at people willing to toss aside a player that was a MAJOR contributor to the team last year.

I think it worked out well for Von, but I do believe his ability to score the ball will be missed.....especially if we enter the year with Battier and Ariza as the starting wings.

(Shudder).

DD

8. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Just for reference.

Chuck Hayes is getting $2.11 million this year for production numbers of:

1.32 ppg, 38%FG, and 37% FT shooting

Hayesfan, do you honestly think if Chuck's contract was up this offseason he would get anything close to that?

To me he is a slighly above league minimum player......EXCELLENT on D, putrid on O....

Von is clearly one dimensional, but so is Chuck.......I think this proves that sometimes timing dictates the terms more so than frugality.

DD

9. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

I don't care what anyone says. Guys on this board was going crazy because Morey showed up at his door step with a #13 jersey in his hands. Gortat is in the same boat as Wafer. OVERRATED.

He got his butt paid off because the G.M was dumb enough to match the offer. It wasn't because of potential. For you to say Wafer had a good year last year and Gortat to have a bad year is mind boggling because Gortat if not had a way better season than Wafer if not equal.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I do agree with you that Von was a major contributor last season. He put in 20 good minutes a game despite whatever flaws he had. There is no need to minimize his contributions just because the team decided not to bring him back-- the same goes with Ron Artest, who contributed with or without outerwear. If Von wasn't contributing, I can't imagine Adelman would have given him 20 mpg for no good reason.

On the other hand, I can't imagine the team letting Wafer go if there is no good reason for doing so, either.

11. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

Chuck is a hard worker though... :)

12. DaDakota

Supporting Member

No, you missed the point, I said that Gortat had sucked every year OTHER than last year, and he got paid a lot on one year's performance.

I would say both he and Wafer had very good breakout seasons.....

DD

13. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

At least chuck hayes plays defense. Something that this team needs considering that this team is loaded with offensive guys. We need a balanced team.

Hayes plays hell of a defense and can score ( barely ) if left open. Sometimes. LOL

14. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Whenever Morey talked about it, he would say that Von got caught up in the timing and circumstances, and although it might not be fair to him the Rockets had a number attached and if he exceeded it they would have to make a decision.

Here is the quote from Morey from my recap:

Host: Von Wafer?

Daryl Morey: We have a number where we would do it, if he gets more than that, we will have to do our jobs again to replace what he bought us.

I don't blame them for letting him walk at roughly $3.8 million a year, that is a lot for a team over the salary cap.

But now with the economy, I am sure the Rockets and lots of other teams would love that amnesty deal where they can buy out players on a one time basis....there are lots of players overpaid on the Rockets right now.

DD

#274 DaDakota, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  15. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

hmmm so who was better than wafer off the bench last season, just curious?

16. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Oh well i guess i did miss your point. But its not Gortat's fault. Its Orlando's G.M. Dallas was the one who offered him whatever amount they did so they started it. Orlando just matched the offer. Gortat's Agent did his job.

You say he got over paid for his performance on one year just think of the offer that morey had offered. With Wafer going overseas he is getting overpaid for his performance also.

17. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

"We" don't know anything except that YOU have an opinion about Von Wafer that contradicts reality.

18. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Kyle Lowry

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Morey has also said he doesn't like to speak negatively about former players, because it makes the Rockets a less attractive destination to potential free agents. If there were some real issues between Wafer and his teammates or coaches that made him less appealing to the Rockets this summer, I wouldn't expect Morey to say so. Clutch suggested that there were some episodes with Ron Artest last season as well, but that hasn't come out (I suspect because the Rockets don't want that information to come out).

20. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Member

Which team are talking about again?