1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone ever been to Africa?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nice Rollin, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

I always wanted to go. I want a vacation, but i wanna do something new. I've been to Europe numerous times. Been to India. Places in South America, but never Africa.

If anyone's ever been: When's a good time to go? I wanna see the pyramids, but also where should I go if i wanna do the whole Safari thing...

I dont plan on going anytime soon. Maybe in the next year or two

2. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

I just got back from Egypt a few weeks ago. Amazing experience, but more of a "Middle Eastern" experience, than a true "African" experience. If you really want to experience Africa, you should visit Tanzania or Kenya.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lPT_3PEjnsE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lPT_3PEjnsE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This is my issue... I want to visit Egypt because I enjoy "Egyptology" and also want to visit places like Tanzania, Kenya, and Namibia for the nature of Africa. It's almost like it's best to do it as 2 trips or one long vacation (which may not be possible). Also, I'm not sure how safe Kenya, Namibia, etc. are for tourists.

5. Nice Rollin

i definitely would do Egypt if i were to go. it just looks amazing. it was always one of my favorite subjects within world history....I havent done any research on other places to visit at all. Just wanted to know if anyone here has any experiences, good or bad. I'd like to do a safari somewhere too.

6. s land balla

I would definitely do Egypt separate from Tanzania, Namibia, Zambia, etc. Flights from Egypt to Subsaharan Africa can be more expensive (and often take just as long) as flying there directly from the US (most flights go the Egypt-Europe-Subsaharan Africa route) There's plenty to see in Egypt alone, or you could pair it with Israel or Jordan (we went to Egypt and Israel). The only type of safari experience you'll find in Egypt is a desert safari, which I'm pretty bummed I never did (too hot in the summertime to really enjoy the desert).

The historical stuff in Egypt (I took an Ancient Egyptian history class in college too) was really interesting...the pyramids, temples, tombs, and mummies were legit.

7. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

If picking between Tanzania and Kenya, I would go to Tanzania. Tanzania is a much better safari destination. Kenyans have told me this.

8. A00man

A00man Member

I went about 10 years ago. Went to Kenya which was fun, but make sure to go on a safari! I went to "Masai Mara" I believe. Amazing amazing experience.

I saw a crocodile and a lion completely annihilate a poor zebra on the edge of a river. Zebra was half in the water and half on land. The lion had it's head and the crocodile had it's lower body. Neither would let go and they shred the thing in half after a couple minutes. Got it all on video.

Here's a site with more info:

Masai Mara

You will literally see all those animals really up close. Like right outside your jeep about 2 feet away staring at you dead in the eye. My guide also drove Jimmy Carter around in the safari, or so he said. Pretty cool.

9. Steve_Francis_rules

I've been to South Africa. I went in August and spent several days in the Kruger National Park. It was fantastic.

10. Nice Rollin

THANKS for the link. that looks awesome.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Masai Mara, Kruger, and Serengeti are areas I'd love to go to. You should post your video and pics!

12. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Tanzania has Zanzibar, the Serengeti, and Kilimanjaro. Kenya has some great beaches, like Malindi beach and Bamburi -- ridiculous fishing off of Kenyan coasts as well. Cape Town is probably the place you'd feel most comfortable -- has a Euro feel to it. If you go to Vic Falls, go to the Zambia side.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

A better question -- where have you not been Jorge Hussein of Mombasa ?

14. BabyClutch

BabyClutch Contributing Member

I loved Egypt! I went there a few years back and it was awesome. Flew into Cairo, spent a few days there, flew down to Aswan and took a Nile cruise up from Aswan to Luxor and back to Cairo. There is so much to see there!

Also visited Kenya around that time, but it was on a different trip from the Egypt one. Did a safari for 3 days in the Masai Mara area. Very cool. I'd highly recommend it and its plenty safe. Actually, Artest was stayin in our hotel while we were in Nairobi!

15. zeyn

zeyn Member

victoria falls on the border of zambia/zimbabwe is great..u can see wild crocs,elephants, hippos, etc. also great safaris to check out in zambia in sept/oct and the weather is mild.

16. s land balla

I was just in Luxor/Aswan/Abu Simbel last month. It was awesome, but hot as balls.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I spent a year in Sierra Leone 24 years ago (before it disintegrated). You definitely don't want to vacation there.

18. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

don't go far. go to hollywood.

19. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

I'm thinking about going...what's the hot spot for tycoons?

20. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

For a good tycoon-inspired getaway, I'd recommend rounding up a few strippers and going horseback riding on Benguerra Island in Mozambique. Horses optional, of course.