1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Krause wants Ming: and other draft tidbits

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Just some imformation I thought I would pass along.

From Sam Smith Chicago Tribune: Word began to surface around the NBA last week that Krause wants to make a move for the top pick and take Yao. Krause believes Yao is the most valuable player in the draft because of trade demand and potential.

From Pacers GM Walsh: The first four-year collegian to be drafted is likely to be Fresno State's Melvin Ely, who is unlikely to go higher than 13th and is being strongly considered by the Pacers at 14.

Denver Post An argument could be made that shooting guard is the weakest position in the draft. The best shooting guard available probably is Missouri's sharp-shooting Kareem Rush. While Rush is talented, he is expected to be a late lottery pick at best.

"There aren't as many options as some of the other positions, although I do think there are still some very good shooting guards," Denver Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe said.
    Rush improved his stock while working out for NBA teams. (good news because if any one picks Rush before us that’s one more player that will drop)

From Andy Katz ESPN: Trade talks are heating up in the final 48 hours before the draft -- with at least six possible moves being discussed. The biggest blockbuster has Cleveland shipping Andre Miller to the Clippers for the 8th and 12th picks in the first round. Another version has Cleveland sending Miller and its 6th pick to the Clips for the 8,12 and either Corey Maggette or Quentin Richardson.

Memphis is also trying to move back to draft Jared Jeffries, talking to the Clippers about moving the 4 for the 8 and 12. The 6 for 9 swap with Cleveland and Phoenix is a possibility, as is the still-to-be-determined Golden State and Philadelphia trade, where the Warriors get the 16 from the Sixers. Portland, Golden State and Philadelphia could also be talking a three-team trade, which could involve Scottie Pippen, Erick Dampier and Dikembe Mutombo as the principal players.

There is also talk of a Washington-Hornets trade with Courtney Alexander being shipped for No. 17 as the principal part of the deal. Of course, all of these trades could easily fall flat by draft day and could be contingent on certain players being available. ... Qyntel Woods will hold a workout Monday night in D.C. to boost his struggling stock.

Dajuan Wagner might hold one in New Jersey for Miami and Washington after not working out for either team. ... Roger Mason Jr. could sneak into the first round if the two Lakers' workouts are any indication.

Most notably of this Andy’s notes is Qyntel’s workout. Lets hope he does great and they can’t pass him up.

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Nice Scoop.

I didnt think Miller would go so cheap. If he goes for 8 and12, that means we could have traded 1 and Francis for their whole team!

3. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

thanks for the info OMR. There are only 3 players I think the Wiz would take over Nach who might be there when they pick: Wagner, Jeffries, and Woods(only if he impresses tho)

Woods, work your mojo!!!!

oh btw, does anyone know if Nach has worked out for any other teams besides Hou and Was? I know he's not a secret to any teams out there but I'm just curious how many teams he's worked out with.

4. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I bet all teams are waiting to see what the Rockets do with their pick before consumating any trades (at least for lottery picks). If the Ming deal falls though and the Rockets look to trade the pick, it will turn the draft upside down.

5. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I totally agree...if something were to happen with Yao and he wasnt able to get his release from China, teams won't want to have already traded their "A" package to move up if they don't know who will be available. I would be shocked to see anyone trade up to 3 or 4 before hearing what Yao's status is. If Yao hits a snag, all trade offers will most likely go through Houston.

6. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

If Courtney Alexander is worth a #17, then KT and the #15 should be worth, what? the #7? A good SF draftee, anyhow.

I think it's possible, also, that the Rox are drafting Yao Ming for another team. It wouldn't make sense for multiple teams to have to deal with the Chinese the way the Rockets have.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

from the Chronicle today,

<i>Slovenian forward Bostjan Nachbar offered an impressive workout for Rockets coaches and scouts from the <b>Raptors, Hawks and Jazz.</b> But like the final step in Yao's negotiations, taking Nachbar could be out of the Rockets' hands. Several teams that have earlier picks are interested in him.</i>

So, they saw the same workout we did.

8. Live

Live Member

I'm just hoping that Nachbar or Woods are there at #15.

If so, I would feel much better about KT remaining a Rocket, eventhough OT's future may be in doubt.

9. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

The most recent draft rumor is that if Woods makes it to the Pacers(14) then the Lakers and Pacers will work out a deal sending Horry and thier pick for Croshere and Woods. It doesn't sound like a good deal but they are desperate to dump croshere's salary and Horry will give them a player that can help in miller's last quest to get a championship.

10. tozai

tozai Member

This is just a conspiracy theory I've been thinking of for a little while...The deal with the CBA & NBA and all the other red tape doesn't work out by the Rockets deadline. The Rockets trade the pick and then Chicago ends up getting Ming. Krause gets what he wants, Ming goes where Zhang & Co. want Yao to be, and the Rockets get screwed...

11. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Member

Horry would be pissed about Indiana..... Almost as classic as him being shipped to Mo-Town for Sean Kidney

12. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

thanks hp. none of those teams have the ammo to get above us, imo. Not that it means much. I was just wondering how active he's been working out for diff teams.